Holland America for solo traveller

latebuyer

5 hours ago, christinand said:

I was reading about HALand they say they have solo activities. Do they have quite  a few activities? Did you find it worthwhile? Did you find it more enjoyable then a cruise like RCL that has no activities?

Usually, there will be activities planned for solo guests.  The number will depend upon the length of the cruise.  Some activities will be non-hosted by a member of the Cruise Staff; some will.  Again, the length of the cruise seems to be a determining factor.

On my long cruises, I am more likely to attend these events than on shorter cruises.  I have found attending the first one and interacting (or not) with others in attendance will tell me if I want to attend others.

I have found that participating in a Roll Call for my cruise, particularly if it is active, to be more beneficial.  Or, simply sitting at the Ocean Bar (or similar on a HAL ship) to be a very good place as a solo cruiser.  One meets a variety of guests as well as the "regulars" who are there when you are.  The bartenders get to know you (and you them) and most are excellent conversationalists as they have the time.

• Like 1

I've done many solo HAL cruises and have never attended any of the singles/solos events - mainly because the time they're offered doesn't work for me, or I'm not interested (not going to come in off my chaise lounge for a big lunch in the dining room, for example).  I guess I don't need those things to enjoy my cruises - meeting people randomly (or not) is better for me.  

Sue/WDW1972

christinand, I have sailed HAL multiple times as a solo and have always enjoyed my cruises with them.  I also have not partaken of their solo activities as I am usually busy with other activities that are available to all guests.  As others have mentioned, join the roll call and it is a good way to meet people.  I don't know if you enjoy trivia or other games, but that is another way to get to meet a lot of nice people.  You will find friendly staff members all over the ship.  Hope you have a great cruise whichever line you choose.

• Like 1

I rarely attend solo only events on any cruise line, but RCL has set and any time dining.  I would think that set dining allows a chance to meet others.  There are numerous activities you can do that are not solo-centric.  Knitting/stitcher hours, cards, trivia, jigsaw puzzles in the library or card room, quoits, ping pong, etc. Some cruiselines even have painting classes.  I would think any type of 'class' would offer opportunities to meet people with a common interest.  As mentioned, some kind of routine also creates familiarity.

It might depend on the ship, but given that RCL has designed solo cabins on some of their ships, I would have thought there would have been some social support for solo as well. Maybe it is ship-centric.

Because others are an variable, I plan my travels with success being totally up to me. No disappointments that way. Some become more sociable than others. Either way I am happy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 10:10 PM, christinand said:

Thanks,

I am also looking at a royal caribbean cruise which doesn't have solo activities as well so good to know there is other ways to meet people.

RCL must be by ship, Ovation 3 weeks ago had  many solo activities including a meet and get lunch where we met in 270 and the took us to prearranged table just to get to know other singles, meetings were in the compass every day, my problem is most of them were 7pm for evening but there lunches, bar meetings and "self guided"  meets are bars