Interesting read

Shoppie124

23 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Yes you do, you just pay them before you need or use them.  Some never even use what they have already paid for.

Right.  That's called living in a society.   I've paid for roads I've never driven on,  and for people to extinguish fires which had nothing to do with me.

I even continue to pay, to educate other people's children.

But we do not have MEDICAL expenses, as I said. 

Stephen

11 hours ago, sjbdtz said:

Right.  That's called living in a society.   I've paid for roads I've never driven on,  and for people to extinguish fires which had nothing to do with me.

I even continue to pay, to educate other people's children.

But we do not have MEDICAL expenses, as I said. 

Stephen

Yes you do.  You can choose to think you don't.  Then again the canuckian medical system, is sub par to that of the civilized world.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Yes you do.  You can choose to think you don't.  Then again the canuckian medical system, is sub par to that of the civilized world.

LOL.   Okay, sure.   I'm certain you think that's a justifiable comment, in some way.

I’m glad that that the crew members from overseas earn a lot relative to what they would receive at home. It must be difficult to be away from their families for so long. I was surprised to find that so many of them had young children that they have to leave behind for so many months at a time. It would have to be really worth it for so many to make that sacrifice.

6 hours ago, fondtravel said:

I’m glad that that the crew members from overseas earn a lot relative to what they would receive at home. It must be difficult to be away from their families for so long. I was surprised to find that so many of them had young children that they have to leave behind for so many months at a time. It would have to be really worth it for so many to make that sacrifice.

I can just imagine how hard it is to leave your family. On our last cruise the young crew member who wheeled my chair to the ship  sail he cries every night cause he misses his family this was his first tour and I am guessing he was very young.  I did assure him or at least tried to that it would get better after he had been on the ship a bit longer. I think it had only been about 2 months.  

Interesting article.  I know they work very hard and a lot of hours however they do make decent money for the cost of living in their home country.  I have had many conversations with different crew members about their life outside work and they all have a good life, nice homes, take vacations, many who have children have them in good private schools and all have smart phones and nice clothes.  We can't compare the U.S., Canada, and Western Europe income to most crew members home countries.  There is no denying they work hard and more hours than many Americans but they do make a good living. 

Average salary for those folks you don't see is between $400-$600 per month in USD. Most of these hard workers are from 3rd world countries and send most of their pay home to support their families. No American would sign up for a 9 month, 10 hours day, 7 days a week job. It's basically slavery. Little know secret is that Mgmt takes a cut of these "tips". Just like Bingo. If you don't believe me just ask the front desk or preferably the Hotel Director for a complete breakdown of how your tip money is dividend in DETAIL. You won;'t get a detailed straight answer. What are they hiding?

Edited by rkelly21

8 hours ago, rkelly21 said:

Average salary for those folks you don't see is between $400-$600 per month in USD. Most of these hard workers are from 3rd world countries and send most of their pay home to support their families. No American would sign up for a 9 month, 10 hours day, 7 days a week job. It's basically slavery. Little know secret is that Mgmt takes a cut of these "tips". Just like Bingo. If you don't believe me just ask the front desk or preferably the Hotel Director for a complete breakdown of how your tip money is dividend in DETAIL. You won;'t get a detailed straight answer. What are they hiding?

This is not correct.  As of 2013, when the MLC 2006 (Manila Labor Convention) went into effect, there is a minimum wage for all seafarers. While this minimum wage is currently $618/month, that is for a 40 hour work week.  All time in excess of 40 hours/week must be paid at 125% of the base wage.  This works out to, for a 12 hour day, 7 days a week, $1423/month.  It is not slavery, as this is a very good wage in their home country, whether or not you or any other "American" would agree to these wages is irrelevant, as the crew does not live in the US.  As to how the DSC is divided, the company does not owe you any answer at all, any more than a restaurant owner owes you an answer as to how much the bus staff or hostess get out of the waiter's/waitress' tips.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 1:18 PM, Shoppie124 said:

What are your thoughts?

Well, I did read the article and I did find it interesting.

Remembering back to my days in the US Navy, having been to many, many ports including an around-the-world cruise, the thing that impressed me most was the living conditions of people all over the world. For the most part, things I saw were disgusting. Families living in cardboard boxes, eating out of dumpsters, bathing in polluted rivers. 

It made a huge impression on me that I’ll never forget, and it made me appreciate my situation back home like I never did before. It also made me appreciate a person who is trying to better himself or herself from these conditions.

If I see someone trying to earn an honest living and they are trying to please the customer, I don’t begrudge them at all. If they deserve tips, I give it to them, even if I have “prepaid” gratuities.

I have to believe it is an attractive line of work for some, or they wouldn’t be doing it.

I have to believe the cruise lines could pay them a better base pay......and that would be my only concern,

• Like 1