Amsterdam

richwmn

I'm so loving this thread!  Mum and I are on the 7/29 sailing to celebrate her 70th.  This is her bucket list trip and first time for her to Alaska.  I have done several previous cruises and spent time in ANC/JNU but this is first time to several places for me - Tracy Arm, Icy Straight, Kodiak and Homer.  

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I'm so loving this thread!  Mum and I are on the 7/29 sailing to celebrate her 70th.

Have you joined the roll call for the 7/29 cruise? We almost have enough to have a meet and greet.  

Icy Strait Point today.

The weather is moderate. I would guess the walk from the ship to the welcome center to be about 1500 feet or so. They have a 12 seat shuttle for the mobility challenged that will also carry a scooter or maybe two.

20190608_091815.jpg

20190608_091819.jpg

20190608_091825.jpg

20190608_091923.jpg

20190608_091928.jpg

20190608_092054.jpg

20190608_093549.jpg

20190608_093612.jpg

20190608_093818.jpg

20190608_094316.jpg

20190608_094322.jpg

Great pictures.  This is one of the four ports we never stopped at on our two other cruises to Alaska.  I really enjoyed Haines when we stopped there but they restricted how many cruise ships stopped by each month. I am looking forward to all the new ports. 

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Have you joined the roll call for the 7/29 cruise? We almost have enough to have a meet and greet.  

3 hours ago, zelker said:

Good one, Linda!  We posted at the same time!  LOL

So for anyone who hasn't joined the July 29th roll call yet, here's the link:  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2554173-july-29-2019-14-day-alaska-roundtrip-seattle/

Not been much for roll calls in the last few years,  but thanks for the offer to join.

• Like 1

Rich.....your photos are wonderful.  We will be in ISP on the cruise after yours.  We could not duplicate the quality of your photos.  You must have a very nice camera.

The posts, photos, and menus are a real gift from you....thank you! 

We had a very nice day in Icy Strait Point today. Weather co-operated again and was moderate with no rain. The walk from the ship to the welcome center was a bit long, but they did provide a shuttle for those mobility challenged guests.

An interesting thing happened a little bit ago. For some reason they scheduled trivia for the Hudson Room at 4:30. I went there to find the Assistant Cruise Director telling a room full of card players that they would have to interrupt their play for trivia (but they were welcome to participate). I didn't stick around to find out what happened, but there really wasn't any place for the trivia players to sit. I did walk by the main stage, which seemed open, and the piano bar, which had a private function. Somehow I feel sure that they could have found a better solution.

Tonight's dress is smart casual and the menu is attached.

08JuneDinner.pdf

I have decided to repost a previous post of mine for some of our newer people to our roll call.. hope this gives you some insight into beautiful Alaska!

I thought I would share some of the many things we enjoy doing every year in Alaska.

In Juneau, we walk out to the street.. crossover.. ( there is usually a really "colorful" guy directing traffic )

and hail a cab. Take the cab to the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery 

cab costs about $11... share the ride. Entrance fee to the hatchery is or was..$5.00 a person.

Absolutely worth seeing. I could stay there all day!!

Or... you can walk about 2 blocks to the police station ( ask anyone where it is ) and you will be at the main bus hub. Take the bus that goes to the Alaskan Brewing Company. Be sure to ask the bus driver to tell you where to get off. The bus costs about $1.00 each way ( be sure to have singles ) The brewery is free.. great talk on how they brew.. free samples of the different beers and great little gift shop! Of course there is Mendenhall Glacier, you can also take the bus there, but it is a bit of a walk from where the bus drops you off back to the park.

I also enjoyed deep sea fishing in Juneau.

Also there is the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts.. It is a bit pricey.. but doing it once is worth it.. the view from the top is incredible! They have a rescued Bald Eagle up there, and a nice restaurant and gift shop. it is free to hike the trail up to the top, but, they charge you if you want to ride down.

Now in Anchorage if we are not meeting friends and family that live there .. we take the free bus from the port to downtown Anchorage. Walk around the block to the Visitors center. There you can choose different things to do.. ie: the zoo, a museum and many other things.. they have little "trains" that will take you where you are going. Most are free.

We take the free little train to the Ulu Factory. ( be sure to tip the kids that are driving.. they are college students that are working over the summer ). There you can see how the Uu knives are made... and buy them. Be careful.. check carefully if buying an Ulu elsewhere that it is NOT MADE IN CHINA!!  Right behind the Ulu store There is a river.. and a bridge.. you can walk right over and stand on the bridge ( it is foot traffic only ) and watch them fish for Salmon, and watch the Salmon run upstream  if it is the right time of the year . usually the end of July beginning of August ). And when you take the "LITTLE TRAIN" back to the visitors center, go across the street to the Polar Bear Gifts.. the best place for t-shirts and all sort of gifts and sweatshirts.. So reasonably priced. If you are daring.. try a reindeer hot dog or sausage.. not for me , but my husband.."just has to have one every year"!   I am intentionally not recommending any tour companies, as what I think was good and a good deal.. may not be to someone else. Google "tours" in the city you are interested in. Hope you enjoyed reading this, and that perhaps it gives you a heads up on fun things to do that do NOT cost a fortune!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JoAnnaBullhead said:

I have decided to repost a previous post of mine for some of our newer people to our roll call.. hope this gives you some insight into beautiful Alaska!

I thought I would share some of the many things we enjoy doing every year in Alaska.

In Juneau, ....

I greatly enjoyed this post, thank you!  My Amsterdam cruise in August is going to ports I've never been to (Anchorage is one) so I'm always on the lookout for tips! Also, I've been to Juneau many many times but never went to the Alaska Brewing Company.  Your recommendation might just get us there this time!

22 minutes ago, Moriah said:

I greatly enjoyed this post, thank you!  My Amsterdam cruise in August ..., I've been to Juneau many many times but never went to the Alaska Brewing Company.  Your recommendation might just get us there this time!

A bit more info about the Alaskan Beer brewery  that wasn’t clear.  The brewery is very small and while I believe they’ll still let you sample a few tiny complimentary tastings  the actual tour is not free ($25 pp) ... it includes six 4oz samples but they do not take you into the manufacturing area, rather you look through windows while they tell you about it.  Here’s a link. https://alaskanbeer.com/visit/. IMHO it’s not worth the effort unless you have a car for the day like we did and we just decided to stop by as we were driving by.  We also opted not to do the tour and it was only $10 at the time.  Didn’t want you to go all the way out there and possibly be disappointed.  

• Like 1

Good Morning,
Today is a sea day as we head toward Anchorage
It is also the second Gala Night for the cruise.
Entertainment tonight:
Ocean Bar:
Ocean Trio has 4 sets today, 4:30, 6:00, 7:45 & 9:45
Piano Bar:
Wally B entertains from 8:45 until closing
Explorers's Lounge:
Adagio Plays at 5:00, 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30
Main Stage:
Comedian Mike Robinson
Movie:
Free Solo
Today's movies on the TV
Ch35: Bumblebee
Ch36: Best In Show
Ch37: Five Feet Across
Happy Hour:
4:00 - 5:00 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest, 9:45 - 10:45 in the Ocean Bar, 10
over the course of the day - Scattagories, Pickleball, Ping Pong, Party
Bridge, Mahjong and more

TowelAnimal20190609.jpg

W&W20190609A.jpg

W&W20190609B.jpg

5 hours ago, Moriah said:

Moriah, I am so glad that this post gave you some good ideas! I Google each place we are going  ( on any trip ) and then things to do... This year we will rent a car in Anchorage and do some things with friends we are traveling with that they have never done. We will be going  to Palmer and Wasilla. The Iditarod Museau, and the Eklutna Historical Park. And a late lunch on the Lake. Should be a fun day! Total cost for the 4 of us with renting the car and admissions ( not lunch ) will be about $100.00 per couple.. not bad for an all day adventure! Here are the links for anyone interested in this adventure.

$2.50 per senior

5 hours ago, Moriah said:

23 hours ago, richwmn said:

Icy Strait Point today.

The weather is moderate. I would guess the walk from the ship to the welcome center to be about 1500 feet or so. They have a 12 seat shuttle for the mobility challenged that will also carry a scooter or maybe two.

20190608_091815.jpg

20190608_091819.jpg

20190608_091825.jpg

20190608_091923.jpg

20190608_091928.jpg

20190608_092054.jpg

20190608_093549.jpg

20190608_093612.jpg

20190608_093818.jpg

20190608_094316.jpg

20190608_094322.jpg

Edited by JoAnnaBullhead

In Icy Straight the walk to the top is really a challenge the little golf cart comes and goes.. ... It is so fun to watch the brave people do the Zip line!! We almost always see Whales here! You can sit by one of the fires and look out at the bay!