It's official...all NCL cruises to Cuba are being changed

RupanIII

Just now, JustAPilot said:

I swear NCL came on these forums first and thought to themselves "how can we piss off these people, oh I know, let's not refund their money but give them half back and send them to Nassau!" I'm on the side of being upset that I paid more just to see Havana and I'm not getting what I paid for. Being from Canada we can vacation to Cuba anytime and Havana is definitely a city worth visiting. 

Except they are refunding your money if you so choose.

Yes - just received the offer for a full refund by June 11 for our June 17 sailing. Kudos to NCL for coming around. The 50%/50% deal is probably how we will go, but having the option to cancel makes it more palatable. 

And... in my NCL account, I now have an updated itinerary for June 17 sailing:  

Tues: Key West

Weds: Grand Bahama

Thurs: Nassau

Friday return to Port Canaveral.

Edited by SpaceCoast1075
Adding updated Itinerary.
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, SpaceCoast1075 said:

Yes - just received the offer for a full refund by June 11 for our June 17 sailing. Kudos to NCL for coming around. The 50%/50% deal is probably how we will go, but having the option to cancel makes it more palatable. 

And... in my NCL account, I now have an updated itinerary for June 17 sailing:  

Tues: Key West

Weds: Grand Bahama

Thurs: Nassau

Friday return to Port Canaveral.

Definitely, the way to go for the summer "Cuba" cruises.  I imagine there will be very long hold times to get through to NCL by the June 11 deadline to cancel a cruise.  And then it may be another 2+ months for the refund $ to make it to you or your travel agent.  Not worth the hassle imo - might as well go on vacation even if it is to the Bahamas.

I am currently booked on the Cuba itinerary departing Oct. 26th on the Sun and checked my account. They haven't canceled my booking yet, but they have changed my itinerary and it looks like they are still working on the timing of it all. 

FireShot Capture 337 - Explore and Plan - www.ncl.com.png

FireShot Capture 338 - My Vacation Summary - www.ncl.com.png

3 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

I swear NCL came on these forums first and thought to themselves "how can we piss off these people, oh I know, let's not refund their money but give them half back and send them to Nassau!" I'm on the side of being upset that I paid more just to see Havana and I'm not getting what I paid for. Being from Canada we can vacation to Cuba anytime and Havana is definitely a city worth visiting. 

Write your Senator.  Write your Congressman.  Send an email to the White House.   Be upset at them.They're the ones who cancelled Cuba.

I would imagine this is costing NCL (and the other cruise lines) a ton of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Write your Senator.  Write your Congressman.  Send an email to the White House.   Be upset at them.They're the ones who cancelled Cuba.

I would imagine this is costing NCL (and the other cruise lines) a ton of money.

Only problem with that is it contains an assumption that all of them can/will actually read! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well since JustAPilot is from Canada (I assume based on his post), I don’t know if an email to a senator or the White House would do much good

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sept 30 Cuba cruise on The Sun was the middle cruise of a Back to Back to Back so for me it isn't so simple as to cancel that leg of the trip . But Im not willing to pay inflated prices for a 5 day cruise to ports that Ive been to lots of times. But would take that cruise if the price was right so that I could keep my other two cruises in place.

Only time will tell what NCL will offer so I can rebook that leg.

The information I received from NCL said that I would get full refund and the itinerary for Sept 30 has been changed so it just shows 3 days at sea in place of Cuba. But the cruise isn't offered yet. 

We were booked and paid for 10/7 sailing and NCL could not tell me the plans for a cruise for that date yet....since we will be refunded 100% now I went ahead and booked another cruise with another line for same port same dates because we have non refundable air fair. 

Really wish we could of stayed with NCL but its too much money involved with uncertainty. This is a sad situation. 

18 hours ago, thetaro said:

To be fair. NCL has been profiting on these Cuba cruises for years and they can absorb the loss if people want to cancel.

Cuba cruises are priced higher and on an old ship that people don't care. 

NCL had to use the smaller ships, have you been to the port of Havana?  If you had then you would understand why larger ships weren’t used.

I’ve been twice.  Sun and Sky, very nice refurbished ships.  Yes I paid a premium to go there on the very first NCL ship, May 2017.  Glad now that I went when it was available.

8 hours ago, Young and Restless said:

Sept 30 Cuba cruise on The Sun was the middle cruise of a Back to Back to Back so for me it isn't so simple as to cancel that leg of the trip . But Im not willing to pay inflated prices for a 5 day cruise to ports that Ive been to lots of times. But would take that cruise if the price was right so that I could keep my other two cruises in place.

The information I received from NCL said that I would get full refund and the itinerary for Sept 30 has been changed so it just shows 3 days at sea in place of Cuba. But the cruise isn't offered yet. 

You won't be at sea for 3 days, our 7/1 cruise reads at sea for 2 days at ncl .com  but we got our email already we going to Bahamas.

14 hours ago, Young and Restless said:

From NCL:

On June 4, 2019, the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and are modifying previously scheduled sailings as appropriate. We share your disappointment and frustration caused by this unexpected change. Like you, we were surprised by this sudden modification to policy. We thank you for your patience and continued support as we navigate through this recent development. Guests who booked Cuba sailings with us will be contacted very shortly with a detailed communication. Please bear with us as we carefully work through each sailing.

Guests booked on cruises to Cuba through September 2, 2019 have two options:

• Sail the revised itinerary and receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid through December 31, 2020.
 Cancel the booking and receive a full refund. If guests choose this option, we must be notified no later than June 11, 2019, midnight EST.

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled and refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Guests impacted by these cancellations are offered a 20% discount off current cruise fares on any new voyages booked by August 5, 2019 for sailings no later than December 31, 2020.

We are so very sorry for this last-minute change but we do look forward to welcoming you on board again soon and providing an exceptional vacation experience. With our world-class team, our innovative fleet and over 300 destinations to visit, we know you will have the vacation of a lifetime no matter the destination.

Everything after Sept 2nd is being automatically cancelled with full refund per the message from NCL.  So those with cruises the end of Sept and Oct, hopefully you can cancel or reschedule airfare and/or hotel, but I don't believe you get to make a decision as far as the cruise 

The cancelation didn't happen , in fact the message I received has about the canceled cruises  has disappeared. 

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled and refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Guests impacted by these cancellations are offered a 20% discount off current cruise fares on any new voyages booked by August 5, 2019 for sailings no later than December 31, 2020.

The itinerary has changed NO Cuba,

Any know what is going on???? 

1 minute ago, Young and Restless said:

The cancelation didn't happen , in fact the message I received has about the canceled cruises  has disappeared. 

I would contact NCL, and reference this notice that was sent out yesterday.  Say per the message, the cruise was supposed to be automatically cancelled.  They're probably the only ones who can help you 

47 minutes ago, Young and Restless said:

I just got off the phone with Norwegian. The agent said that they will not be automatically cancelling our booking and that instead of Cuba we will just be sailing the new itinerary in the Bahamas, my cruise is set to leave Oct. 26th. This explains why the cancellation notice disappeared from our inboxes. As far as price differences, I went through a travel agent so I have to sort all of that out with them.

Talked to TA at NCL  . She said " did you receive an email" told her no.

Well , we have you still booked on this cruise with the changed Itinerary . 

• OK , whats the price?   Well after you remove the $300 for cost of Visas , the price increases by $128.00 and the port charges also decreased.
  • So , Im paying more to go to ports I don't want to visit. 
  • Also I asked her about the 20% discount , and was told I wasn't eligible for that.#.
  •  
  •  

On 6/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, Carmelion said:

I just got off the phone with Norwegian. The agent said that they will not be automatically cancelling our booking and that instead of Cuba we will just be sailing the new itinerary in the Bahamas, my cruise is set to leave Oct. 26th. This explains why the cancellation notice disappeared from our inboxes. As far as price differences, I went through a travel agent so I have to sort all of that out with them.

Yes me too, I booked a cruise with another company paid then called NCL to follow up with OCT 7, no info on ports just that we had a new cruise.....too random for us we asked for refund. 

What really worries me is they send letter we are canceling then 360 degree we are not canceling, we feel like they are not trustworthy at this time. 

Edited by BHBillH

We had our Feb 2020 trip cancelled booked flights and 1st night hotel already. NCL offers 20% off next booking so may do the new itinerary just waiting to see where it gos. Or hit Miami and the keys!

gutted about Cuba but happy I still get a vacation.

Stu k

good luck with getting the 20%off next cruise, I was told that I wasn't qualified???

Ill call the 800# not my NCL agent that I had booked the original cruise with 4 months ago.

Ive always had trouble with NCLfrom not getting my dinner package tranfered to my new room which they had offered , it took

them  4 nights to finally getting it corrected , just the run around . Even after providing copies of all documents. But that isn't the worst :

Booked a back to back in Nov , cruising the next Sept also all paid in full. Then in Late July I was notified that I couldnt

go on the B2B because of a Jones act I would be in violation of. THis was a Alaska and Hawaii trip and all hotels and

airline tickets booked. What a mess.