Share your secrets!

angelsfort

Hello!!  

I'm sailing on the Ecstacy next month and just like most of you, I've been researching and planning and scheming...  LOL

I'm not a novice to cruising but I feel as if I'm probably not taking advantage of everything that the "all-inclusive" has to offer onboard!

I know that I can order more than one entree' or dessert or appetizer at dinner if I want...  (and sometimes I do!!)   We always get the bottomless bubbles (I don't feel that the CHEERS program would be worth it for me, I like maybe a glass or two of wine in the evenings... maybe a mixed drink but not enough to make the $$ for cheers worth it)

But what else?!   What kind of wonderful tips can you all share with me that will make our cruise TOP NOTCH?  

It will be my daughter & I sailing...  she does Karaoke almost every night (she's quite the singer!) and we love the shows too.  Are there any "definitely don't miss" shows on the ship?  

For me, it's the Comedy Club.  I try to catch at least one show for each of the comedians.  

Oh, and don't forget that you can use the sauna in the spa at no cost (it's in the locker rooms by the gym).

• Like 4

We were on the Ecstasy for our honeymoon in 1993 when she was one of the newest in the fleet.

We had one of the only few Balcony Suites on board at the time.

Forget if it was called Grand Suite then?

Sorry but those are secrets I can't tell 🙂....

• Haha 1

I'd honestly say the best secret is forgoing most internet advice. Get out of the room, experience all that you can. What works for one person is the worst idea to the next. You never know what you'll find. There is so much going on!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I'd honestly say the best secret is forgoing most internet advice. Get out of the room, experience all that you can. What works for one person is the worst idea to the next. You never know what you'll find. There is so much going on!

Free styling! I love it.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Yep, winging it is certainly the way to go. Use your energy to research excursions and ports of call. But when on the ship, it is much more fun to wander around/look at the Fun Times to decide what to do. 

Since you're a wine drinker, take advantage of being able to bring on your own bottle. Carnival allows you to bring one bottle of wine for each drinking-aged adult. So if your daughter is of age, even if she doesn't drink wine, she can bring "hers," but you can drink it. And you can take a glass of your own wine to dinner with you. Note: if you take the whole bottle to the MDR, you'll be charged a $15 fee since it wasn't bought on board (some waiters will let this slide, just be aware of the policy).

If your cabin has a mini-fridge, crack open the cabinet door. Meaning, the door to the wooden cabinet that the fridge is in. This allows for much better ventilation and the fridge stays cooler.

These should be the Playlist Production shows on board Ecstasy. It's a list put together by Cruise Critic and was last updated a year ago, but I don't think they change very often, if at all...

• America Rocks: Get ready to rock with this explosive song and dance spectacle featuring hits from folks like Bruce Springsteen, Journey, Aerosmith, The J. Geils Band, The Cars, Pat Benatar and even Blondie. A live six-piece rock band amplifies the show.

• The Brits: Boy meets girl in this "love" story that also pays tribute to the musical invasion of British artists in the 1960s through '70s, including The Beatles, The Who, Elton John, Herman's Hermits and others.

• Motor City: The cool sounds of Motown R&B are the centerpiece of this show, with soul and pop hits from Lionel Richie, Martha and the Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and The Supremes all featured.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Go down to the Lanai Promenade during sail away! No one else was there where I was, even on a sold out sailing from the best sail away port in the world, New York!

The OP is sailing on the Ecstasy.  It's a Fantasy Class ship that has no Lanai Promenade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

The OP is sailing on the Ecstasy.  It's a Fantasy Class ship that has no Lanai Promenade.

There is an exterior deck on Escasy similar to the Lanai Promenade, I was referring to that. 

Stay on the ship during one of your port days.  For example, on our next cruise on the Horizon, we will not be getting off the ship in Jamaica.  Take advantage of the light foot traffic at the pools, the discounts at the spa (though I think they're still overpriced) and being able to go to any of the decks without having to dodge other cruisers.  

• Like 3

You had mentioned desserts-----one little "secret" is that you can order a banana split for dessert in the dining room anytime you like! It's part of the children's menu - on our last cruise we were at a table of 8 (we always ask for a large table to get to know others) and ordered it. The other's faces showed shock when the splits were delivered and the next evening there were 8 orders for banana splits!

• Like 2

I've never sailed on that particular ship, but on some ships there is an upstairs area at the very end of the buffet.  When it's been very crowded at breakfast, we have taken our food up there to eat.  There is a coffee station upstairs, so I don't have to bring a drink.  That area is empty in the morning and the perfect place to have a quiet breakfast.

• Like 1

Don't miss the outdoor seating behind the Lido buffet.  Great views and generally uncrowded except at meal time.

The Ecstasy was our first ship, and we would sail on her again in a heartbeat 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This is great advice.  You will not be able to do and see it all.  Just enjoy yourself.  I personally love trivia and try to make them all.  I always highlight the things in the daily newsletter.  (I don't remember the specific name for it.)  I like the app now because it will remind me when something is coming up that I want to do.  

4 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

What exactly goes on during this event?  We have never attended this event.  I thought it was just for Military personell.

It varies from ship to ship, ---and as to the number of veterans onboard, but it is open to all. We'll often go to the balcony and observe. It's always a moving ceremony, here are some pix from the last we saw.

IMG0047.jpg

IMG0049.jpg

IMG0050.jpg

IMG0051.jpg

IMG0052.jpg

IMG0053.jpg

Edited by chocolate melting cake
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, chocolate melting cake said:

It varies from ship to ship, ---and as to the number of veterans onboard, but it is open to all. We'll often go to the balcony and observe. It's always a moving ceremony, here are some pix from the last we saw.

IMG0047.jpg

IMG0049.jpg

IMG0050.jpg

IMG0051.jpg

IMG0052.jpg

IMG0053.jpg

Thank you for sharing.  We will have to attend one of these events.

• Like 1