Marriott Bonvoy Status at Hotels Arranged by Viking

lucky cal

We are booked on a late July Viking river cruise. The Paris to Swiss Alps itinerary with our pre-cruise extension includes four hotels. Two of these hotels, in Zurich and Paris, are Marriott-brand properties.

I just made Platinum status in the Marriott rewards program. This entitles us to room upgrades, lounge access, free enhanced wi-fi and other perks. I'm wondering if anyone has had luck accessing hotel reward program perks at hotels that were booked for you through Viking. Ordinarily, I'd just call the hotel and give them my rewards number, but since our hotels were booked by Viking I doubt the hotel will have a reservation under my name.

Any experience with this or suggestions?  I'd love to avail myself of these Platinum perks while I have them especially since I won't be traveling enough in the coming year to maintain that lofty status for long.

Thanks!

Viking can probably give you some locator number that Marriott can use.  Call Marriott 800 # here in the US and they could put it on your Bonvoy account. 

what hotels are you staying at ?  Not all Marriotts have a lounge - you might end up with a free breakfast.  In Europe that is a good thing as they are MUCH better than what you see here

If (and it's a big one) you're at the same Marriott property that the Viking group was at in September there is a lovely cafe a few doors down from the hotel that has the traditional Parisian breakfast for a far more reasonable and authentic experience than the hotel.    The Cordial Cafe, next door to a Starbucks, has a red awning and plenty of sidewalk seating.  

Service and food at the Marriot were fine, but if you're in Paris - be with Parisians rather than at the standard hotel breakfast.   Since you're platinum, you've had PLENTY of Mariott breakfasts.  Even if you're not at the Opera Marriot, leave the hotel and have breakfast when the city is waking up.    Have fun!

Oh, and the Viking group were given all the kings even though I had one reserved.   The hotel kindly moved us into a king once the Viking group departed, but didn't honor my original reservation upon check-in.  I know how hotels work and the group reservation is higher in importance than a lowly Gold member with an 11-day reservation.  Such is the way of things and I was in Paris so no real harm.

I stayed at the Paris Opera Marriott last summer, not part of a Viking tour. Nice hotel overall but wasn’t thrilled with the AC system in July.  Viking had  a big table set up. 

Breakfast was pretty good as a Plat ( now Titanium).  Concierge lounge was functional with breakfast and nice nibbles at night. 

Some very good restaurants within a few blocks behind the hotel. Easily walkable. 

I know it is not a Marriott property but our experience may apply. We stayed at the Budapest Castle Hill Hilton as a post cruise extension of our Viking Danube cruise. I am a long time Hilton Honors member but was told that the points and benefits did not apply as the lodging was arranged through Viking.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

I am a Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/ Titanium Elite. Was on a (non-Viking) tour commencing in Bangkok. Flew in 2 days early staying on my own nickel at the same Sheraton/Bonvoy hotel the tour was then using. As an individual I was upgraded from the cheapest room to a 3 room suite, with morning and evening lounge, etc. The hotel let me keep the suite when the tour started but did NOT extend lounge privileges etc. It doesn’t hurt to ask, but generally status privileges are NOT extended when the room is being paid through a tour company. 

It's been my experience that I don't get rewards points or privileges with any hotel program when the room is booked thru a 3rd party.

Roz

• Like 2

I was on a Tauck riverboat cruise a few years ago which started in Prague, and ended in Budapest.  We stayed at Marriott full-service hotels is both cities.  I simply went to the front desk for checkin, and showed my Platinum credentials.  I was given a room on the Concierge Floor, Lounge access, etc.  'Twas easy!

T&C said published benefits only apply when you booked and paid through normal channels.  Since it's a third party booking, you won't get anything technically.  Some properties still extend all the benefits if you provide your account # at check in.  Can't hurt to ask, but prepare to hear no.   

• Like 1