Say It Isn't So!

nukesubsailor

On 6/6/2019 at 5:06 AM, apeller said:

When we were on the Emerald in Dec., our headwaiter said that he predicts that soon there will be a charge for eating in the MDR, and the cruise fare will just include the buffet  

Balderdash!!

On 6/5/2019 at 6:38 PM, KCsealegs said:

I saw a few articles from January 2019 stating there is a world wide escargot shortage. Hopefully it’s just temporary. Perhaps those ships still serving have them in stock, but they are unable to replenish?

Yes, there is a shortage.  Have you seen the price of scungilli???  Wow.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, nukesubsailor said:

Dave, that certainly is a no-s_ _ _ _ _ r.   The best thing about midrats was the fresh baked bread provided you didn't get a loaf that was still raw dough in the center.  I drank only water and of course coffee on the boat.  To this day I will not drink bug juice.

You got fresh bread on midrats? Never happened in my 20 years. Usually it was stale bread with balony and some condiments. Bug juice or coffee.  And I was only on surface ships.

If any  of Canival's cruise lines started charging for the MDR  & pushing people to the buffet ,we would stop cruising & sell our CCL stock in a heart beat  on their ships . We would then sail RCL & Celebrity  ,not as often but would make that change .The buffet could not hold all those people at one time is another problem :classic_rolleyes:

I will probably be flogged for saying this, but I think cruise prices on many of the mainstream lines are artificially low.  I'm to the point where I'm filling to pay more in order to have a quality experience.

Roz

• Like 2

Recently sailed the Western Caribbean (May 25 - June 1) on the Caribbean Princess. No escargot all week, not even on formal nights! Asked the waiter for escargot on the second formal night - his reply: "We stopped serving escargot because the price has tripled!"

This was our 19th cruise with Princess, and the only one that didn't have escargot on the menu on the second formal night! I remember a few cruises back when everyone at a nearby table for 6 ordered escargot every night, even when it was not listed on the printed menu. Times have changed!

I am on REGAL right now and tonight I noticed two people at a nearby table being served what certainly looked like escargot.  Not on menu, but perhaps they requested the night before (or perhaps they didn't).  It was either escargot or something else served in the exact same dish type.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:06 PM, apeller said:

When we were on the Emerald in Dec., our headwaiter said that he predicts that soon there will be a charge for eating in the MDR, and the cruise fare will just include the buffet.  He blamed it on the high cost of passengers "taking advantage."  That would be even worse than no lobster and escargot.  But I do agree that Princess has definitely been cutting back on a lot of things.  The whole menu is a shell of what it used to be.

I call shenanigans

3 hours ago, Roz said:

I will probably be flogged for saying this, but I think cruise prices on many of the mainstream lines are artificially low.  I'm to the point where I'm filling to pay more in order to have a quality experience.

Roz

Meant to type "willing", not filling. 😄

2 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I call shenanigans

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this.  A couple of months ago HAL (under the Carnival umbrella) ran an experiment on a few ships where they charged extra for a 2nd entrée.

Roz

30 minutes ago, Roz said:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this.  A couple of months ago HAL (under the Carnival umbrella) ran an experiment on a few ships where they charged extra for a 2nd entrée.

Roz

That, I get, much more than a sweeping charge for the MDR.