Americans on P&O

remharri

1 minute ago, remharri said:

Do you know if P&O drops their prices frequently? I have a feeling that the Iona prices won't drop too much since it's a newer ship.

Oh dear - some more differences between the US and the UK, I'm afraid.

First, yes prices can go down as well as up, but - and here's the thing - the price you eventually pay will be the price you initially agreed. P&O (or indeed any other UK-based cruise line) will not reduce *your* price should prices generally fall. Some people have been known to cancel a booking (as long they're outside the 'lose your deposit' threshold), pay the cancellation charge (yes, we have those), rebook at the current lower price and save money on it. But most don't bother - the general view is "we were happy with the price we agreed to pay when we agreed to pay it, so it doesn't matter that other people may have got cheaper prices". Indeed, most early bookers make a point of not checking the current price of the cruise they've booked! - they know they'll be happier if they don't look....

Just to complicate things, there can actually be multiple prices for the same cruise on the same ship. There's Select, Early Saver & Saver. The differences between them are real, and the best thing to advise you to do is to read the P&O Booking Terms and Conditions carefully.

I'm sorry if this seems to be less than encouraging.

11 minutes ago, tom_uk said:

Oh dear - some more differences between the US and the UK, I'm afraid.

First, yes prices can go down as well as up, but - and here's the thing - the price you eventually pay will be the price you initially agreed. P&O (or indeed any other UK-based cruise line) will not reduce *your* price should prices generally fall. Some people have been known to cancel a booking (as long they're outside the 'lose your deposit' threshold), pay the cancellation charge (yes, we have those), rebook at the current lower price and save money on it. But most don't bother - the general view is "we were happy with the price we agreed to pay when we agreed to pay it, so it doesn't matter that other people may have got cheaper prices". Indeed, most early bookers make a point of not checking the current price of the cruise they've booked! - they know they'll be happier if they don't look....

Just to complicate things, there can actually be multiple prices for the same cruise on the same ship. There's Select, Early Saver & Saver. The differences between them are real, and the best thing to advise you to do is to read the P&O Booking Terms and Conditions carefully.

I'm sorry if this seems to be less than encouraging.

These days I only notice NCL drastically cutting prices - and it's normally very last minute. I can't travel last minute, so I typically have the same mindset - I'm ok with the price when I booked. 

The price I was quoted was the Early Saver - looks like it's just a no thrills rate. Which is fine - I think I'll be ok with "no extras".

Thanks again for all this feedback - truly appreciate it. 

We booked our Fjords cruise for this summer about 9 months ago and I've not seen the price drop, but you never know. You're probably right that a new ship means less chance of a price drop. Best just to book at a price you're happy with and not check back!

16 minutes ago, remharri said:

These days I only notice NCL drastically cutting prices - and it's normally very last minute. I can't travel last minute, so I typically have the same mindset - I'm ok with the price when I booked. 

The price I was quoted was the Early Saver - looks like it's just a no thrills rate. Which is fine - I think I'll be ok with "no extras".

Thanks again for all this feedback - truly appreciate it. 

"Early Savers offer a reduced price and are made at the relevant grade with the cabin number allocated by P&O Cruises prior to departure. Dining preferences are not guaranteed. Shuttle buses in port are an additional cost for Early Savers and Savers."

Might be worth just checking what the difference is between the Early Saver and the Select Price.  Sometimes the difference is minimal, and sometimes it's actually higher for some odd reason.  There are also some additional perks worth having sometimes with Select.

2 minutes ago, Tommart said:

"Early Savers offer a reduced price and are made at the relevant grade with the cabin number allocated by P&O Cruises prior to departure. Dining preferences are not guaranteed. Shuttle buses in port are an additional cost for Early Savers and Savers."

Might be worth just checking what the difference is between the Early Saver and the Select Price.  Sometimes the difference is minimal, and sometimes it's actually higher for some odd reason.  There are also some additional perks worth having sometimes with Select.

For those that have cruised Norway on P&O - are there shuttles that they use there? Or is everything pretty accessible once you get off the ship?

Also, since it's "Freedom Dining" dining preferences shouldn't matter, correct?

27 minutes ago, remharri said:

For those that have cruised Norway on P&O - are there shuttles that they use there? Or is everything pretty accessible once you get off the ship?

Of the ports you will go to the only one which may be with a shuttle would be Bergen. Now, as this is compulsory to get you out of the port area it will be free for all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, daiB said:

Of the ports you will go to the only one which may be with a shuttle would be Bergen. Now, as this is compulsory to get you out of the port area it will be free for all.

Yes indeed. The last time we were there the shuttle bus took us all of about 250 yards, just to the edge of the port area! Then there was a further 10 minute walk to the Bryggen area of old Bergen.

Edited by tom_uk

1 hour ago, remharri said:

We did our first Fjord cruise in April and the weather was just amazing ----- 72 degrees for almost the whole cruise. (For the UK that is amazing enough but for Norway we were told that it was rare). Go prepared for anything :-)

What ports are you doing? We can only talk about our ports but I know that there are far more experienced P&O cruisers on here who will be able to help. For what its worth, for Stavanger, Bergen, Olden and Alesund there was no need for a shuttle.

Re a Saver or a Select fare. We always pay the Select Fare as we know what we want and know which cabin we want so that we don't end up stuck somewhere we don't like.

PS Have just read that someone had a shuttle in Bergen --- we can't remember one at all.

Don't think IONA has anything other than Freedom Dining so I guess it does not relate to this cruise. Then again, I am no expert on this new ship ….or any other to be honest :-)

Edited by Presto2

19 hours ago, remharri said:

Watching them now!

I got a quote finally from a TA - they are saying final payment for a July cruise 2020 is due December 6 2019. Is that normal for P&O to want their final payment over 7 months in advance?

Usually 4 months before cruise with a TA.

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

PS Have just read that someone had a shuttle in Bergen --- we can't remember one at all.

Depends on the berth in Bergen.  One is close to the Bryggen but some definitely have a shuttle to the centre.

Looking at the ports Iona visits other than Bergen - Olden, Stavanger, Alesund, Hellesylt and Geiranger (dependent on itinerary) - the ship berths right in the centre of the all of these towns/villages.  I imagine they will have use of the Sea Walk in Geiranger, otherwise it will be a tender operation.

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Depends on the berth in Bergen.  One is close to the Bryggen but some definitely have a shuttle to the centre.

[snip re. other ports]

Not sure about it being "..to the centre". Here's a link to a blog post I did in 2016 at the time of our visit on Britannia. On that occasion the shuttle bus just took us 400 yards (not 250 as I said above - apologies) to the edge of the port area, then dropped us! So I think the shuttle bus was provided by the port rather than P&O, and was purely to get passengers out of a non-pedestrian area of the docks. (P&O may have had additional services for mobility-impaired passengers, of course.)

Update: I've done some more checking and have found a difference between the arrangements in 2016  and 2017. Basically, we berthed at different places. In 2016 when on Britannia we were at the Docken quay and in 2017 (Azura) we were at the Bontelaboo quay. That may be random, but it might be that the very largest ships have to go to Docken, and I imagine that would include Iona.

Edited by tom_uk

43 minutes ago, tom_uk said:

Not sure about it being "..to the centre". Here's a link to a blog post I did in 2016 at the time of our visit on Britannia. On that occasion the shuttle bus just took us 400 yards (not 250 as I said above - apologies) to the edge of the port area, then dropped us! So I think the shuttle bus was provided by the port rather than P&O, and was purely to get passengers out of a non-pedestrian area of the docks. (P&O may have had additional services for mobility-impaired passengers, of course.)

bergen 

Update: I've done some more checking and have found a difference between the arrangements in 2016  and 2017. Basically, we berthed at different places. In 2016 when on Britannia we were at the Docken quay and in 2017 (Azura) we were at the Bontelaboo quay. That may be random, but it might be that the very largest ships have to go to Docken, and I imagine that would include Iona.

Actually my reference 'to the centre' was -  quote:  'Looking at the ports Iona visits other than Bergen'.  I was making the point that the ship is docked, or tenders, in the centre of all the other ports on the itinerary - not saying it docked in the centre of Bergen.

With reference to Bergen - did the shuttle to the port exit drop you at a place where it was an easy 5/10 minute walk to the Bryggen?  If so, that's the berth(s) nearest the centre of Bergen (taking the Harbour, by the Bryggen as being central).  The other berth we have used have definitely needed transport to get to the centre - whether provided by the ship or not as it's too far out to walk.

According to the Bergen port site, Iona is berthing at Jekteviksterminalen 2 although it does say that these arrangements are subject to change.  

Actually my reference 'to the centre' was -  quote:  'Looking at the ports Iona visits other than Bergen'.  I was making the point that the ship is docked, or tenders, in the centre of all the other ports on the itinerary - not saying it docked in the centre of Bergen.

My apologies - my misunderstanding.

With reference to Bergen - did the shuttle to the port exit drop you at a place where it was an easy 5/10 minute walk to the Bryggen?  If so, that's the berth(s) nearest the centre of Bergen (taking the Harbour, by the Bryggen as being central).  The other berth we have used have definitely needed transport to get to the centre - whether provided by the ship or not as it's too far out to walk.

According to the Bergen port site, Iona is berthing at Jekteviksterminalen 2 although it does say that these arrangements are subject to change.  

I've just had a look at the map. That 'Bontelabo' quay (2017, on Azura) is the easier one. It's on the same side of the old harbour inlet as Bryggen and Vagen, but right at the end. In fact, if you look at Google Maps, then do a Street View on the Festningskaien road (approx where the '585' tag is), you can see part of a Costa ship in the distance - that's where we were berthed that day. We walked along Festningskaien into Bryggen and the town centre.

Turning to where we berthed in 2016 on Britannia, I think that what I referred-to as the Bontelabo quay is shown on the map as 'Jetkeviken', so I reckon that's the same one that you say Iona will be berthing at. That makes sense - both Britannia & Iona are bigger than Azura, so might be more restricted in where they can berth.

As for where we had to go after that, well now that I look at the map I'm certain that the shuttle simply took us far as the dock gate! I think that's on a road called 'Torborg Nedreaas gate'. Again doing a Street View in Google Maps, if you look at the junction of that road & Bredalsmarken, there's a complicated set of pedestrian crossings, and I definitely remember that we started the walk into town by crossing them. You can obviously work out the route from there towards Bryggen, and that's what we had to do.

(This thread has wandered away from 'Americans on P&O', and apologies to Regina for that. But hopefully still vaguely relevant  and interesting.)

Edited by tom_uk

Thanks Tom for the clarification 're Bergen berths.  I think your research about the relative positions and the shuttle arrangements sounds right.  If the info about Iona is correct and not changed, it seems that it's pretty easy access to Bergen.  

23 hours ago, tom_uk said:

Yes indeed. The last time we were there the shuttle bus took us all of about 250 yards, just to the edge of the port area! Then there was a further 10 minute walk to the Bryggen area of old Bergen.

Interesting as when we shuttled we were taken into the centre, by the park just to the south of the Main Street. The ordinary shuttles and the adapted ones. It rained.

9 minutes ago, daiB said:

Interesting as when we shuttled we were taken into the centre, by the park just to the south of the Main Street. The ordinary shuttles and the adapted ones. It rained.

Doesn't it always......

AVERAGE MONTHLY RAINY DAYS IN BERGEN (HORDALAND)

• Most rainy days are in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.
  • On average, October is the most rainy.
  • On average, May has the least rainy days.
  • The average annual amount of rainy days is: 239.0 days
The number of days each month with rain, snow and hail in Bergen, Norway.

Average rainy days (rain/snow) in Bergen, Norway   Copyright © 2019 www.weather-and-climate.com

26 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

When we did Norwegian Fjords maiden cruise on Aurora in 2000 we booked a P&O excursion in Bergen and we got a free gift.........an umbrella 

We did our first cruise to the Fjords in April and it was like the Mediterranean --- the weather was stunning. I just think that it shows that the old saying, 'The sun shines on the righteous' must be right:classic_tongue:

43 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We did our first cruise to the Fjords in April and it was like the Mediterranean --- the weather was stunning. I just think that it shows that the old saying, 'The sun shines on the righteous' must be right:classic_tongue:

We did the same last May. Scorching sunshine in Bergen, sunbathing in jeans on sail away as didn't pack any shorts....

Obviously, 'the sun does shine on the righteous'...

Andy

• Haha 1

One more reply  on the weather. On our Britannia cruise the weather had been improving all week. Our last port was Stavanger. After walking around the town we visited a harbour-front restaurant for lunch, and sat outside, where I got sunburned!

A couple of years later we were visiting a whisky distillery in Scotland and I found myself talking to a couple of Norwegian chaps (as you do) and I mentioned my Stavanger experience to them. One of them looked thoughtful for a moment, and then replied "You are the first, I think....."

With regard to the berthing in Bergen. I have noticed today that Britannia is/was bathed in the berth which is closest to the town centre. So clearly not a problem with large ships like Iona, at this berth. Only problem might be if there are a number of ships in. However if Iona is there each week at the same time she will get the best berth. That is how these things work.