Spending money for a kiddo

Hi, all. My mother is taking my ten-year-old son on a cruise in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering about the spending money situation.

I would like to send him with some pocket money for ice cream, arcade games, etc., plus treating his grandma to a latte -- say, $10 a day.

What are my options for making this happen? Ideally the money would be put on his shipboard account for him to draw on as needed. (IDEALLY-ideally, there would be a daily limit that prevented him from overspending on one day or another, but that seems unlikely, and it's a fine opportunity for him to practice managing his money.)

Thanks.

Call Royal at 800-722-5443 to add on board credit to his account.

On board accounts can have limits imposed by Guest Services, but some ships say they cannot limit spending in the arcade.

If he's buying grandma a latte, the $10 is not going to go very far!!

The only time he would need to buy ice cream is if there is a ben and jerry's on board - can always get free icecream and windjammer/wipeout.

Haven't checked in a while, but I too recall no limits on arcade spending.

My son is 12 - we buy his drink package and internet.  He never has occasion to spend money on a ship.  He plays enough xbox at home (and yes, they have video games in the kid's club) that he doesn't need to go to the arcade.  There are enough activities to keep him busy.  I know all kids are different and mine is the kind that would see arcade spending as wasteful.  In all the cruises he has been on I don't think he's ever been to the arcade.

I cant' see how the cruiseline would put daily limits (Afterall, they want you spending money on board).  You could give Grandma the money and ask her to set it up as a cash account - but he could spend it all at the arcade on the first day if he is inclined to do so.

On 6/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, CruiseyMcBoatFace said:

Hi, all. My mother is taking my ten-year-old son on a cruise in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering about the spending money situation.

I would like to send him with some pocket money for ice cream, arcade games, etc., plus treating his grandma to a latte -- say, $10 a day.

What are my options for making this happen? Ideally the money would be put on his shipboard account for him to draw on as needed. (IDEALLY-ideally, there would be a daily limit that prevented him from overspending on one day or another, but that seems unlikely, and it's a fine opportunity for him to practice managing his money.)

Thanks.

We took a 12 year on the symphony and the only thing they really need money for is the arcade, he spent a lot of time in the arcade, we purchased arcade credit on cruise planner the price to purchase in advance was different increments. And we purchased the $80.00 for $100.00 in credit.