RCCL - Stop in Falmouth with 4 & 5 year old

staceyberoth

I'm looking for recommendations when we stop in Falmouth.  Trying to decide if we need to spend extra money and go to a resort with a day pass OR risk it by going to a nearby beach.  Has anyone been?  I also want to limit time in the car since we wont have car seats.  If anyone has been to a resort, please let me know your thoughts.  I've been trying to review things on this site and trip advisor and cant come to any conclusions.  Thankfully I have many months to figure it out.  Thanks for your help!

42 minutes ago, staceyberoth said:

I'm looking for recommendations when we stop in Falmouth.  Trying to decide if we need to spend extra money and go to a resort with a day pass OR risk it by going to a nearby beach.  Has anyone been?  I also want to limit time in the car since we wont have car seats.  If anyone has been to a resort, please let me know your thoughts.  I've been trying to review things on this site and trip advisor and cant come to any conclusions.  Thankfully I have many months to figure it out.  Thanks for your help!

A lot of CC members will tell you to stay on the ship in Jamaica as it is not considered a safe island. Having not been, I cannot say what to do, but give you advice. The best tip for most Caribbean islands is to go to a beach nearby, and, since cruise ships dock on the water, a beach should not be hard to locate!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  There are lots of places to do research here, and one you should become familiar with hs the Ports of Call boards.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/

Once there, scroll down to Caribbean:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

Once there, scroll down to Jamaica.  Do some reading and ask questions there.  You might also join the roll call for your cruise and see what your fellow CC members are planning for that port.  EM

• Like 1

We've been in Falmouth several times, including 2 times with our kiddo. We went to the Red Stripe beach through RCCL excursion (nothing to write home about, but way better than staying on the ship, transportation was an old bus); and the second time we went to Blue Waters Club by ourselves (not through the cruise), and it was just as good - a nice safe beach, with family friendly activities and without the music blasting all over the beach (there was a bar with music in the back of the beach). I can't remember, but I think we took a taxi the second time.

I'd bring Harmony Youth boosters or Bubblebum boosters if your kids are 40# or more instead of harnessed car seats, if you need to. Bubblebum boosters have a good seat belt fit on kids and have a 40# minimum.

24068143_1603458263046354_5111029816327517270_n.jpg

20181224_152934.jpg.bd2c1ff7ec6ca475d0b9864aa216332c.jpg

49895619_2112008838857958_3406665233375166464_n.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We've been in Falmouth several times, including 2 times with our kiddo. We went to the Red Stripe beach through RCCL excursion (nothing to write home about, but way better than staying on the ship, transportation was an old bus); and the second time we went to Blue Waters Club by ourselves (not through the cruise), and it was just as good - a nice safe beach, with family friendly activities and without the music blasting all over the beach (there was a bar with music in the back of the beach). I can't remember, but I think we took a taxi the second time.

I'd bring Harmony Youth boosters or Bubblebum boosters if your kids are 40# or more instead of harnessed car seats, if you need to. Bubblebum boosters have a good seat belt fit on kids and have a 40# minimum.

24068143_1603458263046354_5111029816327517270_n.jpg

20181224_152934.jpg.bd2c1ff7ec6ca475d0b9864aa216332c.jpg

49895619_2112008838857958_3406665233375166464_n.jpg

Thank you so much!  

• Like 1

I stopped in Montego Bay, so I don't know that I can really help you.  I did want to say that I've been to Jamaica twice and felt completely safe both times on private tours.  The first time was before kids at an all inclusive, and the people from our resort who went on an excursion that dropped them off at  an outdoor shopping market did not feel safe, but on my tour to waterfalls and water rafting  was completely safe.  So it might not be the best island to just wander around randomly by yourself, but if you have a  planned excursion and guide it will feel completely safe.

Our second trip with a 2 year we visited Dolphin Cove, a really nice place for small children located right across from Dunn's rive falls.  You can hold your kids while a dolphin comes and give them a kiss, feed birds by hand and pet stingrays.  I'm not sure it's worth the 60 minute commute from Falmouth though, but it is a great stop for families in Montego BAy.  We also had an excellent lunch at Scotchies, which is  a chain all over Jamaica and serves great jerk chicken.