Dress code especially for Alaska

bmct

Getting ready to cruise to Alaska, and  have questions about the dress code.

Princess.com says:   Before opting for vacuum-sealed bags and travel-sized toothbrushes, cruisers may want to thoroughly research their cruise destination as well as the activities available on board. Princess Cruises offers a number of formal dining nights during which ties and coats are mandatory. While some ships provide rental services, male travelers may want to add suit jackets and slacks to their packing list. Women, on the other hand, should bring along dresses made with wrinkle-free fabric, which will survive long hours stuffed in a suitcase. Passengers need not worry about having too few clothes, however, because each ship is outfitted with onboard laundry service.

Jacket and tie for formal night dinners?  Last time we went, which was a few years ago, the Hubby got away with pants, collared shirt, and cardigan.  Will he really need a tie?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmct said:

Getting ready to cruise to Alaska, and  have questions about the dress code.

Princess.com says:   Before opting for vacuum-sealed bags and travel-sized toothbrushes, cruisers may want to thoroughly research their cruise destination as well as the activities available on board. Princess Cruises offers a number of formal dining nights during which ties and coats are mandatory. While some ships provide rental services, male travelers may want to add suit jackets and slacks to their packing list. Women, on the other hand, should bring along dresses made with wrinkle-free fabric, which will survive long hours stuffed in a suitcase. Passengers need not worry about having too few clothes, however, because each ship is outfitted with onboard laundry service.

Jacket and tie for formal night dinners?  Last time we went, which was a few years ago, the Hubby got away with pants, collared shirt, and cardigan.  Will he really need a tie?

No........He will be fine.

• Like 2

From what I saw this past week on our Alaska Princess cruise, there is no dress code.  Was really surprised to see men and women wearing jeans, tee shirts, sweat pants, sweat tops, athletic shorts and baseball caps in the MDR during dinner (including formal night).  I can understand this the first or last nights because of the luggage situation, but not during the middle of the cruise.  Why post a dress code if it isn't going to be enforced.  Just my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, az2sea said:

From what I saw this past week on our Alaska Princess cruise, there is no dress code.  Was really surprised to see men and women wearing jeans, tee shirts, sweat pants, sweat tops, athletic shorts and baseball caps in the MDR during dinner (including formal night).  I can understand this the first or last nights because of the luggage situation, but not during the middle of the cruise.  Why post a dress code if it isn't going to be enforced.  Just my opinion.

weellll.... that has been pondered  on this site numerous times. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to decide whether to bring a sports coat on my Island Princess cruises later this month. I may just wear a dress shirt with a tie and slacks on the formal nights. 

• Like 1

I would love to see a link to where the passage quoted in the opening post is still live. Because while Princess did use such language at some point (way back when Formal Nights were expected to be observed ship-wide not solely in the MDRs) I am pretty sure it is now hopelessly out of date.

Checking the FAQs for what to pack/what to wear (where I believe the above quote used to be located) there is a link to "Tips on what to pack for a cruise"

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/tips-on-what-to-pack-for-a-cruise.html

...which offers the following much more recent suggestions:

You should make sure you have a wide array of clothing packed away in your suitcase, as cruises may require everything from a casual swimsuit to a formal tuxedo. Princess Cruises is smart casual, so pack clothing that adheres to that guideline. On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop. In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. When packing, bring wrinkle-free items or try rolling your clothes. Folding clothes can create creases, and cruise cabins are not equipped with irons (although they can be found in the ship's laundry rooms).

Much better advice than what the OP unearthed--note lack of the term 'mandatory' in reference to formal nights. Though interesting that while they give examples of daytime attire and formal night wishful-thinking no examples of what "smart casual" are given even though it is the first type of dress cited.

As for specifics about Alaska: depending how early (or late) in the season you are sailing you will see lots more fleeces and flannels in the MDR than Tommy Bahama shirts. But on my two Alaska cruises last year there were by far the most people stretching the bottom limits on what is passable for formal night but still being admitted to the Captain's Circle party.

Edited by fishywood

We just returned a week ago, we saw a big variety of clothing. Some with just a nice shirt others in a Tux. My husband had a sports jacket, no tie and it was fine. I had black slacks and a nice blouse. Too much to pack for more than that. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A tie? 😂😂 

My DH burned his ties from his working days long long ago. To this day we still laugh when we see guys dressed up with ties on formal nights trying to look impressive. (mostly for their spouse) 

Wow MissP22, I am impressed. You and hubby can not only observe what someone chooses to wear on formal nights, but also, discern their motivation. It must be a terrible burden to know why people do what they do by just a glance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tailspintom said:

Wow MissP22, I am impressed. You and hubby can not only observe what someone chooses to wear on formal nights, but also, discern their motivation. It must be a terrible burden to know why people do what they do by just a glance.

It's not a burden at all. They provide us with visual entertainment as we do for them with our casual style. I'm only happy that Princess allows all of us to dress as we choose. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tailspintom said:

I'm sure she ment "smile" instead of laugh 😉.

Theo

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A tie? 😂😂 

My DH burned his ties from his working days long long ago. To this day we still laugh when we see guys dressed up with ties on formal nights trying to look impressive. (mostly for their spouse) 

On our cruise last month, we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary with our family. On formal night, my husband wore a suit and I dressed up for him in a cocktail outfit. The rest of our family also dressed for the occasion.We had family pictures taken and will have many beautiful memories in the years to come. 

How "Sad" to think you would be making fun of us were we on the same cruise as you.

My husband is the best and I am so lucky to be his bride.

Edited by Mom33
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Mom33 said:

On our cruise last month, we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary with our family. On formal night, my husband wore a suit and I dressed up for him in a cocktail outfit. The rest of our family also dressed for the occasion.We had family pictures taken and will have many beautiful memories in the years to come. 

How "Sad" to think you would be making fun of us were we on the same cruise as you.

awww that's so kewl.  Happy 50th.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A tie? 😂😂 

And people accuse pro-dress code cruisers like myself of totally wasting one's time worrying about others' attire.

Thank you for confirming the anti-formal nighters are the ones with the worse obsession. (I knew it all along, just have been waiting for one of them to come clean and say it in their own words).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mom33 said:

Thank you for dressing for our enjoyment. 

I'm sure everyone appreciates it. 😏 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bob63005 said:

Dress codes are no longer relevant. It should be, and is, whatever makes you comfortable and happy. To me formal night means a collar on my shirt.

That's a formal as the husband will get along with his Dockers.

If they enforced a strict dress code on Princess we would be switching to another cruise line for sure. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A tie? 😂😂 

But really, if a couple enjoys dressing up for each other, why not?  I can think of no better reason for doing it.  I wouldnt worry about what everyone else thinks.  If you are enjoying it, good for you!

• Like 3

We decided not to do any formal night dinners, so we stayed casual the whole cruise.  We did see those who were formal and getting pictures taken, and good on those!  They all looked fabulous.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lindaru said:

We decided not to do any formal night dinners, so we stayed casual the whole cruise.  We did see those who were formal and getting pictures taken, and good on those!  They all looked fabulous.

Are you saying you skipped formal night dinners in the MDR simply because you brought only casual attire? 

You missed out on some of the better meals by doing so. 

Put on something with a collar, wear long pants and you’ll be just fine on formal night.  Anywhere on the ship. 

• Like 3