Why Do So Many Cruisers Dislike Nassau

vpearlkc

I have been on this board for quite some time and found it very useful when planning a cruise. I have noticed that Nassau seems to be held in disdain by a great many cruisers on this board. 

Just wondering why? We have only been there once on our first cruise in the mid 90s on a three day cruise on the long gone Premier Cruise Lines Big Red Boat and enjoyed the stop. Went to a nice beach at Atlantis at no cost and hung around the main st. downtown shopping and drinking. Have even considered going back for a longer stay. Seemed like a fun place to me.

I think the issue nowadays is how crowded it gets.  Example:  If you look at the schedule below, there are five cruise ships in port tomorrow.  Plus, there may be a couple of more that were scheduled for Cuba that were re-routed.  When you have 20,000 - 30,000 people all getting off in a port, the crowds can be pretty miserable.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I think the issue nowadays is how crowded it gets.  Example:  If you look at the schedule below, there are five cruise ships in port tomorrow.  Plus, there may be a couple of more that were scheduled for Cuba that were re-routed.  When you have 20,000 - 30,000 people all getting off in a port, the crowds can be pretty miserable.

Nassau is not the only port that suffers from cruise  passenger overload.

St Maarten used to  be one of our favorite ports.  Then a new pier was built to accommodate more ships.

The last time we ported there, the pier was at full capacity and I calculated that the possible passenger load totaled 21,000.  As it was a spring break cruise, the ships were probably at or near capacity.

The port area looked like the NYC Times Square subway station at rush hour.

• Like 1

We don't "dislike" Nassau...but we don't love it, either. Part of the problem for us has been either the port times (late arrivals) or the day of the cruise we visit (last day before returning to Miami). 

Late arrivals (or early departures) always make me feel like the day is a waste and it's hard to plan something we really want to do. The last time we were in Nassau, we had a full day there and we had a nice, laid-back time. We went to the Hilton for the morning and a few hours in the afternoon, then went to a brewery and a few shops. It was a good day...until we got back to the ship and had to start packing. Then things felt rushed. 

The other issue is that Nassau is such a common stop is that regular cruisers have been there multiple times and the luster has worn off. I'm not necessarily in a hurry to go back, but I'd rather stop there than a few other ports we've been to!

• Like 2

When I ported in Nassau on the Oasis, I hated it because our departure from port was something like 3 or 4 in the afternoon, which didn't really allow much time to enjoy the island.  I would have loved to have visited Atlantis, but there just wasn't a realistic way to do it with the time allotted.

1.  Been there multiple times

2.  It is very crowded with long lines to get through security to get back to the ship from the port

3.  Vendors are very pushy

4.  Every time we go there it rains on top of being hot and sticky

I have been to Nassau, on various cruises, 8 times.  I have found something enjoyable to do each time.  I will continue to go on cruises that have Nassau as a stop and will not be one to stay on the ship!  On the last visit, we did a Foodie Tour and it was fun, informative and very filling!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 9:45 AM, sun_lovin!1 said:

I have been to Nassau, on various cruises, 8 times.  I have found something enjoyable to do each time.  I will continue to go on cruises that have Nassau as a stop and will not be one to stay on the ship!  On the last visit, we did a Foodie Tour and it was fun, informative and very filling!

4 minutes ago, nerds2go said:

So, is Cabbage Beach part of or next to Atlantis?

How did you get to the Hilton?  We are looking for an easy trip,to,a good, uncrowded beach.  We don't want to do the ship's shore excursions.

Edited by nerds2go
Error

18 hours ago, nerds2go said:

How did you get to the Hilton?  We are looking for an easy trip,to,a good, uncrowded beach.  We don't want to do the ship's shore excursions.

You can walk to the Hilton, it’s a small harbor beach. Day pass is around $80 with a $49 food voucher.

21 hours ago, nerds2go said:

So, is Cabbage Beach part of or next to Atlantis?

Cabbage Beach is a long stretch of public beach on the north side of Paradise Island.   It runs in front of quite a few of the major hotels on the island, including Ocean Club, Sunrise, RIU and Atlantis.

You can use the public beach thru the entrance next to the RIU.  (use in front of the hotel is restricted to the water line only) .. There are no restrooms or other amenties on the public beach, but locals selling premade drinks and selling trinkets, renting chairs etc. 

Hotels along the beach do not allow access from the beach, or use of their loungers.

5 hours ago, nerds2go said:

Is  the $80 fee for the Hilton per person?

yes... depending when you are going, you might want to hold off.  They are refinishing the pool and renovating the bar/grill.  May not have the same experience as others...  I'm hoping it will only be a few more weeks. 

I think it's partly because the people who complain never get farther than the port area and straw market.  The vendors there can be aggressive and people are turned off.  Get away from the area, take a bus, meet the people, try other things.  We've done something different almost every visit and enjoyed it.  Last trip we took the Tru Bahamian food and walking tour and it was fantastic.  

The Bahamas are easy to get to from the Florida ports, so a lot of cruise ships go there.  Some of the complainers have just been there too many times.

And then there's the terrible port times.  What can you do from 7 AM to 2 PM?  It makes it impossible to do some of the best excursions.

• Like 2

The last cruise I was on was my first, and I'd never been to Nassau and enjoyed myself there.  The next time I will be there will be on Anthem of the Seas and according to what I've read, there will be 5 ships in port.  I can't remember last time but I don't think there was that many ships in port.  Most of the ships will be docking in the morning, but Anthem docks at about noon later than the others.  Looking to maybe visit the pirate museum, have a meal at a nearby restaurant and maybe visit a distillery.  Do you think that the crowds will have eased a bit by the time I get off the ship?  Hoping that it won't be as bad a crowd as I'm thinking.

This is a good question and it is odd.  It's seriously a better port than most others in the Caribbean.  I think it has to do with being less exotic. It's more accessible, more people go, it's common.

The reality is that Nassau is awesone. Countless things to do. Historical tours, amazing private islands and beaches, resorts, all inclusive, food tours, caves, zoo, etc. Even plenty of good food and bars near the port. Heck, a brewery too and chocolatier.  Some of the clearest, most beautiful water and scenery you will ever see.

People are miserable about Nassau for no valid reason.  It's utterly ridiculous. Don't let it away you. It's my favorite port by a mile. It's just not "cool" to say that I guess... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1