Would you dislike Infinite Verandas less if they're called Infinite Ocean Views?

fstuff1

Would you dislike Infinite Verandas less if they're called Infinite Ocean Views?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you dislike Infinite Verandas less if they're called Infinite Ocean Views?

• Yes
    • No

We are suffering with hi temps and  very humid conditions here in Fla this week..

Our front porch...open on two sides and   our rear screened lanai ...open  on 3 sides are unusable for most of the day.

If we had that weather on a Carib cruise, we,'d prefer the IV with AC.. and adding to the space of the cabin.  I know there is  a breeze at sea but not always enough to defeat the sun, heat and humidity...

Of course people have a right to choose not to book an IV.. We were  against it but had no choice in AQ Class.. and were nicely surprised by the good points. Including ..no loud music or parties into the night can be heard like u do on an open balc..

6 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't know why people who don't care for this type of room are considered haters.  I don't hate it.  It's just not something I would book......

Maybe I missed the post but I didn’t see anyone say those that don’t like the IV SRs are haters. I’m afraid that doesn’t even make sense. 

Kind of of like calling those that like this SR Celebrity Cheerleaders. Neither term has any connection with the discussion.  

Den

Whilst most seasoned cruisers either book rooms they know or do a lot of YouTube browsing with a new ship that isn’t possible. You book under the premise that the mock pictures and descriptions are fair. The problem with the IV rooms is that some guests found reality didn’t match their expectation. For example, the AC issue, the blinds...

We fancied trying the Edge RS, it initially was price that was the biggest deterrent not to book. However, now I have seen videos of the room I know we would find it less spacious than the S class and that it would also have less comfortable furnishings.

I have often thought that one problem with the Celebrity website is that room descriptions are not really adequate. An obvious example is the bathroom on the M class CS which really needs some sort of safety warning about that high bath...Also those generic pictures of rooms which are class specific...

What you call any specific room is less important to my mind than being able to read a clear, concise and accurate description of it on the website...

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, hcat said:

Of course people have a right to choose not to book an IV.. We were  against it but had no choice in AQ Class.. and were nicely surprised by the good points. Including ..no loud music or parties into the night can be heard like u do on an open balc..

Interesting. I don't ever recall being subjected to loud music or parties going on late on X or any other cruise ship I've sailed on ever. Does this really apply to Celebrity?

6 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Interesting. I don't ever recall being subjected to loud music or parties going on late on X or any other cruise ship I've sailed on ever. Does this really apply to Celebrity?

Absolutely.  We have endured rude and selfish noisy neighbors every couple years on our 20 year cruising on Celebrity.

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

You book under the premise that the mock pictures and descriptions are fair. The problem with the IV rooms is that some guests found reality didn’t match their expectation. For example, the AC issue, the blinds...

I have often thought that one problem with the Celebrity website is that room descriptions are not really adequate. An obvious example is the bathroom on the M class CS which really needs some sort of safety warning about that high bath...Also those generic pictures of rooms which are class specific...

What you call any specific room is less important to my mind than being able to read a clear, concise and accurate description of it on the website...

I agree the descriptions are lacking. But I'd go a stage further and state that their marketing is disingenuous :-

Luminae "Fresh, locally sourced ingredients....."

Edge "Big ship amenities, small ship destinations"

Anyone remember those?

LLP made a big thing about the IV beings outward facing and connecting you to the ocean etc whilst Edge was under construction. Sadly the opposite seems true for me at least. They offer a more sterile environment. I'm certain Apex and the following three ships will all have IV cabins though. Thankfully we all have choices. :) 

9 minutes ago, Mynki said:

2 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Absolutely.  We have endured rude and selfish noisy neighbors every couple years on our 20 year cruising on Celebrity.

We've only sailed eleven times onboard so far, but thankfully we've never had an experience like this on our balconies, ever. I hope it continues...

33 minutes ago, Mynki said:

We have experienced oblivious people. more than rude people, on X (have had rude neighbors on other lines). In the last few years on X cruises, we have had someone make a 30 minute business call on his next door balcony at full volume so that I finally gave up trying to nap in the sun, a very loud, excited multi-generational family using the SV balcony next to our S1 for family get-togethers (lovely, but very vivacious people) so I gave up trying to read out there at times, a woman who came out many mornings that I was relaxing with my tea on the balcony and made a phone call that sounded like she was trying to get the person to hear her in a distant land without a phone (and in another language so I couldn't even enjoy overhearing something interesting 😉) and a "peeker" who was very sweet, but I never knew when he would peek around the corner to chat. That was one huge upside for the IV for us - so quiet and no peekers! 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mynki said:

We've only sailed eleven times onboard so far, but thankfully we've never had an experience like this on our balconies, ever. I hope it continues...

We've cruised X for nearly 10 years, now -- with virtually no problems on any veranda (and we always sail in balcony cabins). Well, except for the occasional scoff-law smoker. The few times that has occurred, the problem was usually remedied by one call to Security. But, no noise problems -- even when we've had aft-facing balconies, directly over the PH (Millie Class ships).

Now, part of what drove me to X in the first place WAS the noise and smoking (it was legal, at the time) on RC. The last straw was a 6-night cruise on Liberty (in '11). We had a lovely aft-facing balcony that we could not enjoy -- or even have our door open -- due to the neighbors blaring Lynyrd Skynyrd non-stop on their boom-box, every day. When we complained (multiple times) to Guest Relations, and nothing was done -- the writing was on the wall: Time to switch to Celebrity -- a decision that we've never regretted!

On 6/8/2019 at 8:55 PM, Oville said:

Linda, not sure why you used the word haters.  A good number of people who have posted on this tread have never sailed in an IV on Edge and the OP’s poll is simply negative.  I think vtcruising gave a very good comparison of IV vs S1.  We personally used our AQ IV cabin veranda more than we have other AQ verandas on other ships.

Hope you had a great cruise with your granddaughter.  We are settled in the other Cape and off to Martha’s Vineyard for 4 days Tuesday.  Hope all is well on your Cape.  K

I used the word haters because that was what was in a post I was responding to.

Glad things are well in your Cape.  Things are fine in my Cape, but hot and dry.  Rainy season seems to have stalled.  We really need some.

Cruise with my granddaughter was great.  We had fabulous weather, 70s and sunny every day.

Will send you a private message about a possible get together in your Cape.

22 hours ago, vtcruising said:

That was one huge upside for the IV for us - so quiet and no peekers! 🙂

Forgive me if I am wrong, but haven’t you booked an SV for your future Edge sailing?

22 hours ago, Mynki said:

but thankfully we've never had an experience like this on our balconies, ever. I hope it continues...

Nor us, but never say never 🤣.

41 minutes ago, villauk said:

Forgive me if I am wrong, but haven’t you booked an SV for your future Edge sailing?

Nor us, but never say never 🤣.

Yes, as I have said many times, being from the cold country, we prefer open balconies for the full sun (we also choose aft cabins most of the time - also they are generally less expensive than the IV's). We will take our chances with the potential noise (which has never been persistent on X, just some bad luck to want to use our balcony at the same time as someone who is oblivious to how sound carries on those balconies) and the rare peeker. 🙂

I was commenting on someone's comment about noise on X in open balconies and that it is one of the advantages of the IV. It is all about balancing that which is most important to you - for us, we would rather have the full sun and be in the aft with the chance of some intermittent noise and a rare peeker. Others may choose to have less direct sun in a quieter, "peekerless" veranda.

We've changed our habits over the years, and if we move to a warmer place, we might even eventually prefer an IV, if changes are made to correct some of the issues (or if we did the British Isles or Alaska on Edge Class). For now, we will stick with our SV's on Edge Class unless they are sold out, but the IV remains a nice option for many. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

On 6/8/2019 at 5:49 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't know why people who don't care for this type of room are considered haters.  I don't hate it.  It's just not something I would book.  Now if Celebrity reclassifies it as an oceanview and prices it accordingly, that's a whole different story.  I think those of us who have spent a night or two on Celebrity ships are capable of making decisions about what cabins we would like or not like without having to sail in them.  I've actually sailed on every Celebrity ship currently in the fleet with the exception of Edge.  Also on some of the ships no longer in the fleet.  And I have, at one time or another, sailed in everything from an inside to the penthouse.  With the exception of a celebrity suite (we got upgraded to a royal suite).  

Linda- Here on Cruise Critic if you agree with a post or if you are positive you are a "Cheerleader" and if you disagree or if you are negative you are a "Hater".   Some people like categories.

• Like 1