DOOR DECORATION

spankym13

Hey everybody. 

Going on our first celebrity cruise June 22nd. We thought itd be fun to hang a door decoration on the cabin door like we have seen before. I asked the question if it was ok on our fb group and some people say yes and other got down right rude about it because it is NOT a "Celebrity " thing?? Thoughts on this please and than you?  

I am sorry you didn't get answers you like on F B

Was looking at several pages just now as that question has come up in recent days on a couple of ship pages I am following

Every post I saw mentioned it was not typical and few and far between

I didn't see any "rude" posts.

FWIW Stewards/security WILL remove excessive/flammable materials.  

• Like 1

My stateroom attendant has decorated my door to celebrate special occasions like achieving the Zenith level. So, it's permitted if it doesn't damage doors. I've been on two Mardi Gras cruises and many doors were decorated. I've seen signs indicating Cruise Critic membership. More doors are decorated for holidays, but fewer are decorated on others days. People often make Birthdays and Anniversaries by decorating their door. Do as you like!

There are very few doors decorated on Celebrity cruises.  And I mean very few.  There was one that had been decorated and someone had removed a photo that had been placed on the door. The couple was quite upset.   So if you do decorate, make sure there are no keepsakes.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spankym13 said:

Hey everybody. 

Going on our first celebrity cruise June 22nd. We thought itd be fun to hang a door decoration on the cabin door like we have seen before. I asked the question if it was ok on our fb group and some people say yes and other got down right rude about it because it is NOT a "Celebrity " thing?? Thoughts on this please and than you?  

We always decorate the cabin door.  Easy to find your cabin as a bonus.  Only problem we have had is that if you are in a suite with a wooden door, you cannot use magnets which we like to use.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We always decorate our door. We took a favorite picture & had it turned into a car magnet (from Vistaprint). I’m not sure I could find the cabin without it 🙄

• Like 1

Have seen lots of doors 'decorated' with banners for anniversaries or birthdays. Not OTT but just a banner.

It is our 25th in August and we are thinking of taking a banner and a little blue tac to stick it on the door think it will mark(or if the door is magnetic use a few fridge magnets)

Here is the current Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle door sign: https://images.r.cruisecritic.com/community/pdfs/DoorSign.pdf 

You can print it on regular printer paper. However, I printed mine on an Avery 3270 Printable Ink Jet Magnet Sheet. There were 5 sheets to a pack. I think I bought the pack at Walmart & cannot remember the price.

I use it along with other tropical-style fridge magnets. The only problem is that some of the magnets grew legs & went home with strangers. Don't put anything out there that will break your heart if it decides to leave.

As mentioned before, it does make it easier to find your cabin. Especially if you are in one of those loooong hallways where everything looks the same. I have had cabin neighbors knock on our door to thank us for our decorated door. It made it easier for them to find their cabin & they planned to decorate their cabin door on their next cruise.

If your cabin door does not contain enough metal to hold the magnet sheet & you use another way to attach it, please make sure you remove all residue left on the door before you debark. The same for ANYTHING you use to attach any sort of decoration on your cabin door or anywhere in your cabin. Your steward will greatly appreciate your kindness!!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TxCityKat said:

Here is the current Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle door sign: https://images.r.cruisecritic.com/community/pdfs/DoorSign.pdf 

You can print it on regular printer paper. However, I printed mine on an Avery 3270 Printable Ink Jet Magnet Sheet. There were 5 sheets to a pack. I think I bought the pack at Walmart & cannot remember the price.

I use it along with other tropical-style fridge magnets. The only problem is that some of the magnets grew legs & went home with strangers. Don't put anything out there that will break your heart if it decides to leave.

As mentioned before, it does make it easier to find your cabin. Especially if you are in one of those loooong hallways where everything looks the same. I have had cabin neighbors knock on our door to thank us for our decorated door. It made it easier for them to find their cabin & they planned to decorate their cabin door on their next cruise.

If your cabin door does not contain enough metal to hold the magnet sheet & you use another way to attach it, please make sure you remove all residue left on the door before you debark. The same for ANYTHING you use to attach any sort of decoration on your cabin door or anywhere in your cabin. Your steward will greatly appreciate your kindness!!

Really helpful advice, thank you.

I think we will take cheap magnets and a little blu tak just incase the magnets don't work.

Have to say, we are right at the back, so if we can't find our cabin then we really do need therapy !!!!

• Haha 1

I never had an opinion on decorate or not decorate your door until recently.  We have taken many Celebrity cruises and I would see a banner here or there and would smile to myself. We just took a Disney Fantasy Cruise and many many cabins were decorated.  Some were elaborate and some simple.  We joined the crowd and decorated with something small.  I can’t tell you how much I loved being able to find my cabin easier plus it was fun seeing others creativity.   I’ll do something small

and tasteful in the future.  

To OP, I read that thread over on FB, and nobody was rude. They were more constructive with their commentaries.  If you like decorating, go for it, but since it is your  first  Celebrity Cruise and you did ask, you need to accept the responses that you don’t particularly agree with as well as the ones that you do agree with.  

We have had occasion to walk the halls on several cabin crawls on X, and I can honestly say that we haven’t noticed any decorations on doors.  Not saying it didn’t exist, just saying that nothing jumped out at us like on other cruiselines where the decor is blatantly displayed.  

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, and happy decorating! 

Questions about cabin door decorating appear occasionally on various CC boards.

Whenever I see these postings,I am reminded of door decorating contests held at my high school during Spirit  Week. 

I ,for one, do not see the need for it. I have not seen doors decorated in hotels or resorts,why the idea of decorating cruise ship cabin doors? It has been noted that it is a way of locating a person’s cabin.

We locate our cabin by memorizing the cabin number. Never got lost on any of our

fifteen cruises.

As for decorating on Celebrity ships,  it does not seem to fit the new program of

”Edgeification” of various ships where the design concept is one of modern,clean lines.

Of course, everyone is free to express themselves by putting up decorations.

As others have stated, decorations need to be of non-flammable material and need to be adhered with either magnets or tape that does not mar the door.

• Like 2

After checking with Celebrity and hearing that it was permissible to decorate the cabin door, we purchased this magnetic sign and placed it on our door along with the Cruise Critic sign  There were actually a good number of doors that were decorated.

3B81311E-1FF8-4E64-9689-CA8FF22130B5.jpeg

05CEE1A2-9712-413F-8D3D-7787924CC5BE.jpeg

• Like 1

Genuine query... does the prevalence (or not) of door decorations depend on the area of the ship?  We always have cabins towards the middle bulge of the ship - if not an RS or penthouse the CS's either side.  And always desk 9 -11.  So I just don't walk down long sets of random corridors.  Only possibly to get to the forward elevators if I didn't fancy walking along the promenade.  I haven't seen any door decorations - but is that why?

We always decorate the door. Use the command strips, so no damage to the door.  It helps me find my way "home".  Many other cruisers near us say they use it as a marker for their room too. Have fun be clever and enjoy. What ever floats your boat!

I always decorate my door while cruising.  Kind of fun, gets me into the cruising frame of mind.  It is part of my planning process.  I usually print it on computer paper, and attatch it to the door using magnets.  I will be doing this on my upcoming Equinox cruise at the end of June.