DOOR DECORATION

spankym13

I have used a Christmas decoration that is a glittery peacock that I attach to a magnet on the door.  I had so many people as I was leaving the cabin, say they liked it as they knew which hallway to take as our cabin was opposite the elevator.

On another cruise line, I was a ship with my elderly mother who could not remember alot.  We had put a Canadian flag on the door.  One day, she decided to go back to the cabin by herself.  She know the deck number but not the cabin number.  She saw a cabin attendant and told him my cabin had a flag on the door and he knew the cabin and helped her back to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

WE used to decorate with some magnetic signs, but stopped after sticky fingers of fellow passengers made them disappear.  Biggest offenders were on Disney ships.  

I made commemorative door magnets for us and friends of ours on the Edge Inaugural. It was their first time is a suite. Our magnet came home with us, theirs went home with someone else. As others have said, don’t put anything on your door that might have sentimental value.

1 hour ago, Ma Bell said:

I'm truly amazed at how many people can't find their cabins by number.:classic_ohmy:

Agree!!

And to be honest I would never count on a magnet to identify a cabin as they *can* sprout legs and move. I’ve seen someone in tears with a member of Guest Services on another line because their cabin would not open - only to discover that they were trying to get into someone else’s cabin because their magnet was on that door.

Far easier to just learn the cabin number. Take a picture on your phone if you are that afraid of forgetting it. The cabin numbers won’t grow legs and walk away to another door.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ma Bell said:

I'm truly amazed at how many people can't find their cabins by number.:classic_ohmy:

Too many people getting full value of their drink packages, or it's a demographic thing. They put the last three numbers on the Seapass card to help people remember their number, but I believe that is a potential security problem.

17 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Questions about cabin door decorating appear occasionally on various CC boards.

Whenever I see these postings,I am reminded of door decorating contests held at my high school during Spirit  Week. 

I ,for one, do not see the need for it. I have not seen doors decorated in hotels or resorts,why the idea of decorating cruise ship cabin doors? It has been noted that it is a way of locating a person’s cabin.

We locate our cabin by memorizing the cabin number. Never got lost on any of our

fifteen cruises.

As for decorating on Celebrity ships,  it does not seem to fit the new program of

”Edgeification” of various ships where the design concept is one of modern,clean lines.

Of course, everyone is free to express themselves by putting up decorations.

As others have stated, decorations need to be of non-flammable material and need to be adhered with either magnets or tape that does not mar the door.

I agree with your comments - especially the part I bolded.

What is it about a cruise that brings about actions reminiscent and more typical of high school or college days?  

I’m not annoyed by decorated doors but the whole idea of it is somewhat baffling.   If people find joy in it, I guess that’s all that matters

• Like 3

On each of our cruises, I have seen a few cabin doors decorated. On our Reflection cruise in Jan, I saw one door had candy taped to it!

There are more of them on holiday cruises (below is a picture of a couple that I saw on our Infinity holiday cruise). 

1438E65F-ABF1-476B-9191-3CB6AE4FA48E.jpeg

9D1769E4-374A-48E9-BDF5-BB232891D502.jpeg

If my cabin has a metal door I tend to add an Afghan Hound magnet just because I like it.  Lately I’ve sailed in corner aft (Solstice class) cabins so I don’t really need it as a cabin finder. If I ever forgot what side of the ship my cabin’s on I’d say I have a real problem. 😎

3 hours ago, Stumptowngal said:

I agree with your comments - especially the part I bolded.

What is it about a cruise that brings about actions reminiscent and more typical of high school or college days?  

I’m not annoyed by decorated doors but the whole idea of it is somewhat baffling.   If people find joy in it, I guess that’s all that matters

Not to mention, I rarely have  extra space in my luggage to pack nonessentials. Even if Driving to the port I don’t like toting on extra stuff. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mahdnc said:

On each of our cruises, I have seen a few cabin doors decorated. On our Reflection cruise in Jan, I saw one door had candy taped to it!

There are more of them on holiday cruises (below is a picture of a couple that I saw on our Infinity holiday cruise). 

1438E65F-ABF1-476B-9191-3CB6AE4FA48E.jpeg

They could at least take the deflated balloons off from the door. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

They could at least take the deflated balloons off from the door. :classic_rolleyes:

Not to mention that it looks like they used either Scotch tape or packing tape!!!!! THE WORST thing to use! If you must decorate your door,  then at least do it responsibly, using magnets or adhesives that won't damage the finish or leave a residue that the steward will have to clean.

• Like 3

Aw   So sweet!

As long as  there are no safety issue, do  up your door if you want to.

We post the Cruise Critic Door sign unless its s holiday cruise...Halloween, etc.

If it reminds some of dorm culture, wait til we see the new cabins on M class..totally  dorm!

Meh.  It's not my style, but if I'm going to get worked up over something, it certainly ISN'T going to be your door decorations.

It does remind me of my freshman dorm in college. I went away to boarding school, and no one ever decorated their doors, so it was a shock to me that people did in college. Too cutesy for me, but it didn't harm anyone.

Bed Bath and Beyond, or Homegoods, or a bevy of other housewares stores make tons of money selling lots of things I wouldn't let in my house, nor would I allow them on my lawn, but I'm not going to dictate whether you can have them in YOUR house.  

So it does come down to individual taste.  And, worst case, I privately judge you!🤣

Andrew

• Like 4

I always put a door poster on my cabin door attached using my Cruise Critic magnets. This year on Silhouette it was removed on the second day by persons unknown and the magnets left on the floor, one missing 😞

I was quite shocked but put it down to high spirits maybe on the way home after a good night in the martini bar lol

On 6/10/2019 at 1:01 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I have seen plenty of decorated doors on Celebrity.  Have also received comments from neighbors thanking me for what was on my door because it helped them find their cabin.  If you would like to decorate your door, go for it.

Thanks!  I think I will!

👍😘

Enjoy decorating your door. We did it on our December cruise and enjoyed that we could always see our room from far away.

Our door had some metal in it so we opted to use small round magnets with a tape on them to fasten the door decoration. 

The only requirement I have every heard was they needed to be fire retardant and since the only way to test it is to light it on fire, that will never happen. Just make sure you use material that won’t damage the door.

Enjoy your cruise!

We usually decorate our door only on holiday cruises or Disney cruises. I am a big fan of the Avery inkjet magnetic printable sheets. Just pick your image, print it and cut out. They stick very well to the door or even the interior walls if you want some personal interior decor. They are very lightweight also. Once during a championship game, we put up some University of Florida Gator magnets I had made. A few days later they disappeared, perhaps some Florida State alumni were on the cruise.🤔😁

Mary Ann