Royal Caribbean - do they compensate for bad cruises?

14 hours ago, travelplus said:

. But as a goodwill they give out OBC.  

Not in the case of our Anthem cruise for April 2020,for predicting over a year ahead weather bad enough to drop Halifax from the cruise their only offers were ones which were going to cost us!

18 hours ago, travelplus said:

If a port is altered or cancelled the Cruiseline has every right to not offer compensation other than refund taxes and port fees. But as a goodwill they give out OBC.  

I've had port cancellations/changes  all the time and never received  anything other than   a refund  of port fees.  Never expected any more than that.

We've had European as well as Caribbean ports cancelled for medical emergencies, weather,  mechanical issues etc.   The weirdest was a cruise billed as a "Suez Canal Cruise." The passage was to begin around  sunrise.  They even sold pricey  brunch viewing tickets.    After dinner  folks started to notice that we entered the canal.   We entered  about 10 hours early.  So,  the entire passage was in pitch  black darkness of night,.  All we were able to see were some light posts.  Of course we never considered asking for anything, and even so, we did have a Suez Canal passage.  Many passengers were really angry.  We didn't  book the cruise specifically for the  passage portion, but would have liked to see it.  

M

I took a Suez Canal cruise on the Explorer from Barcelona to Dubai and the Suez, Canal from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. Both were in daylight. 

The Captain told us on the Suez Canal about the scheduling. Your ship went early perhaps due to the number of ships in line. If you went at your allotted time you may have been delayed by hours or a day. 

Which would you take changing non refundable airfare and paying the fare difference, loosing one night of hotel vs a day passage? 

I know you were looking for the Day passage but can you show me on the itinerary a guaranteed daylight passage on any canal or river? All the itinerary says Sailing Suez Canal but it does not specify the time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I've had port cancellations/changes  all the time and never received  anything other than   a refund  of port fees.  Never expected any more than that.

We've had European as well as Caribbean ports cancelled for medical emergencies, weather,  mechanical issues etc.   The weirdest was a cruise billed as a "Suez Canal Cruise." The passage was to begin around  sunrise.  They even sold pricey  brunch viewing tickets.    After dinner  folks started to notice that we entered the canal.   We entered  about 10 hours early.  So,  the entire passage was in pitch  black darkness of night,.  All we were able to see were some light posts.  Of course we never considered asking for anything, and even so, we did have a Suez Canal passage.  Many passengers were really angry.  We didn't  book the cruise specifically for the  passage portion, but would have liked to see it.  

M

We had an awesome passage on Mariner. Entered in morning and had lunch on the outside Promenade

• Like 1

5 hours ago, travelplus said:

I took a Suez Canal cruise on the Explorer from Barcelona to Dubai and the Suez, Canal from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. Both were in daylight. 

The Captain told us on the Suez Canal about the scheduling. Your ship went early perhaps due to the number of ships in line. If you went at your allotted time you may have been delayed by hours or a day. 

Which would you take changing non refundable airfare and paying the fare difference, loosing one night of hotel vs a day passage? 

I know you were looking for the Day passage but can you show me on the itinerary a guaranteed daylight passage on any canal or river? All the itinerary says Sailing Suez Canal but it does not specify the time. 

Dont you mean Panama Canal from Ft Lauderdale to LA🤔

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We had an awesome passage on Mariner. Entered in morning and had lunch on the outside Promenade

Well that was our plan too. They were selling champagne lunch packages. Obviously lunch  fees were refunded. We got to Egypt  at sunrise. 

M

Surprised that a thread that has so spectacularly tarred and feathered the OP has been allowed to remain.  Even more surprised the personal attacks on a person who is merely exploring their options have not been deleted.

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Some ships do that

Reagan BBOAx7e.jpg

I "did the ditch" on USS Forrestal (CV-59) back in 1982...Suez Canal. Wouldn't mind doing it on a cruise ship and seeing Dubai again....was there in 1992 on USS LaSalle AGF-3, the communications ship for the area at the time. Both ships are gone now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

I "did the ditch" on USS Forrestal (CV-59) back in 1982...Suez Canal. Wouldn't mind doing it on a cruise ship and seeing Dubai again....was there in 1992 on USS LaSalle AGF-3, the communications ship for the area at the time. Both ships are gone now. 

This is my son's ship, USS Reagan CVN-76.  He only saw the Pacific

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andy C said:

Surprised that a thread that has so spectacularly tarred and feathered the OP has been allowed to remain.  Even more surprised the personal attacks on a person who is merely exploring their options have not been deleted.

Did you read the original post?

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Did you read the original post?

Wondering the same thing. The OP contains content that brings into question what kind of expectations one might have for anything. It's no surprise there are numerous posts wondering "what the heck?". I didn't see responses as "tar and feathered".

Imagine going into a car dealership and having a conversation something like: "I'm thinking of that white car over there...but if I buy it and don't like the tires or radio...can I bring it back for a full refund? Or maybe if I decide after a month or so I don't like the color or seats - I can get my full money back, right?".

No doubt any posting person should be met with respect...but there's no surprise plenty of folks responded with varying degrees of surprise & befuddlement (a real word 😁).

2 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

So perhaps some day it'll become the Flattop of the Seas?

There was a nuclear powered cruise ship back in the day. NS Savannah. I think shes in Baltimore Harbor

Screenshot_20190619-072425_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cd0de49957acd99793c2a0de8a7326e2.jpg

• Like 2

• Clarea locked this topic