Equinox - Fresh out of dry dock/refurb June 1-8, 2019 _First time Celebrity cruisers_

poncho1973

13 minutes ago, Mamadenenes said:

I am beginning to fear that my 3 teenage boys will be at a loss for activities. They don't need the slides or rock walls etc but some fun activities are needed. Anyone that has cruised in June have input? I know that in August we have a better chance of having some more kids on board. Hoping anyway!

We wanted to give the boys a slightly more sophisticated cruising experience but didn't think we were foregoing so much " to do". 

Glad to hear the movie screen was added!

just a FYI, schools in CA ended in late May. we've cruised in June and July (on other lines) and November too and all cruises had children on them.

as for activities for teenage boys on X, I have no experience to share. we have booked our first X cruise for this coming March and selected X due to seeking a more relaxed cruising experience and fewer children. that is our hypothesis though. we'll have to see how it plays out in reality.

if you're seeking to keep you boys occupied, i'd plan on excursions that map well to their and your interest. this way, they might enjoying relaxing some while on the ship. for our family, this strategy has always created a balanced vacation experience; busy and fun port days and relaxing sea days. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. My husband and I cruised on X many years ago and really enjoyed it. With the family, we have stayed with Princess and Carnival while they were younger. We didn't pick this based on the itinerary as we have been to these stops in the past rather the uptick in service, cruise experience and food. I am sure it will all work out. We are "glass half full" types 😁

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mamadenenes said:

I am beginning to fear that my 3 teenage boys will be at a loss for activities. They don't need the slides or rock walls etc but some fun activities are needed. Anyone that has cruised in June have input? I know that in August we have a better chance of having some more kids on board. Hoping anyway!

We wanted to give the boys a slightly more sophisticated cruising experience but didn't think we were foregoing so much " to do". 

We have the same concern for our kids and our niece this upcoming March, but we also have a port intensive 7 night itinerary.  Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.  The port days aren't a concern for activities.  By the time we get back to the ship it's time to get ready for dinner.  After dinner it's getting ready for the main nights entertainment or a movie.  So that only really leaves two days at sea.  That's really not that much, so I expect they will mostly be able to fill up those days with sleeping in, going to the pool, touring the ship, lounging around...

We are making the ports activities more important because the ship is more laid back.  

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mamadenenes said:

We saw a few teens around the ship at a few of the games/events.  They seemed to be having fun.  I don't think it would be quite as fun as other lines with the cool factors (slides/rockwalls/zip lines/etc) that other lines have, but I'm sure just hanging out and doing teen things would still be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

just a FYI, schools in CA ended in late May. we've cruised in June and July (on other lines) and November too and all cruises had children on them.

as for activities for teenage boys on X, I have no experience to share. we have booked our first X cruise for this coming March and selected X due to seeking a more relaxed cruising experience and fewer children. that is our hypothesis though. we'll have to see how it plays out in reality.

if you're seeking to keep you boys occupied, i'd plan on excursions that map well to their and your interest. this way, they might enjoying relaxing some while on the ship. for our family, this strategy has always created a balanced vacation experience; busy and fun port days and relaxing sea days. 

No fear necessary!  My 16 year old boy has been cruising with Celebrity and the  experience has continued to be extremely favorable to his review and his parents! He finds interesting things to do age-appropriate things, and an appropriate level of supervision. There are great options, there are great places to hang, to chat and to be a teenager. There is the sport deck for those moments where he’s feeling more physically active, there’s great time as a family when that’s feeling like a good thing to do, and then there’s movies, games, and hanging out at the Oceanview Café at 10 o’clock at night with a bunch of teenagers enjoying that time as well. It’s extremely satisfying experience for a young teenager, or a middle teenager, or an older teenager. 

12 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Does that put you in the 25-34 year age bracket or 35-44 bracket at time of sailing? Just trying to add context to your reply of “try Celebrity again in approximately 30 years.”

I’m 37.

10 hours ago, poncho1973 said:

What did you like the best other than relaxing? 

The service was great. Food was ok if you weren’t at the buffet. Great at the specialty dining like Le Petit Chef. The ballet/violinist were the best entertainment (the shows were just too weird for my taste). The spa was really great and I enjoyed the art gallery. Annnnnd the balcony cabin was pretty spacious. That’s about all I can think of. Sorry I’m not well versed when it comes to writing reviews.

To be quite honest, the most memorable parts of this trip were off the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, poncho1973 said:

We saw a few teens around the ship at a few of the games/events.  They seemed to be having fun.  I don't think it would be quite as fun as other lines with the cool factors (slides/rockwalls/zip lines/etc) that other lines have, but I'm sure just hanging out and doing teen things would still be a lot of fun.

Always see teenagers on the cruise- they enjoy basket ball, swimming, table tennis and hanging out with each other.  I am sure they will have a ball!  And as others mentioned, many high energy shore excursions!  Our family loves Celebrity all age groups.  Yes they also enjoy Royal, especially the under 10 crowd.

We aren't in the "oldens" category yet, but getting closer. My H and I love the "oldens" we met the most lovely couple last year and continue to have contact with them. I felt like I was sitting with my grandparents and it was LOVELY! The were seasoned cruisers and shared some tips with us. They have even invited us to their home in Fl. We really enjoy our time with the "oldens".

We cruise X and P now because of the calmness and relaxation. I really did my homework before switching cruise lines. What we loved a few years ago, annoys us now. 

Different strokes for different folks. Humor is sometimes lost in print.

• Like 2

Maybe we are old school, but when our son was younger, we catered to his wants and needs when planning a family vacation. That meant places like Disney World, Epcot, Bush Gardens, Great America, etc. Occasionally, when we wanted some adult time, like Las Vegas, we didn't drag them along, give him money for the arcade and we would go gamble, he went and stayed with either grandma and grandpa, or their cousins. Worked great for both sides.

About five years ago we offered to take our son, his wife and their teen age son on a cruise to the location of their choice, and on the cruise line of their choice. The adults weren't keen on the idea and the boy said absolutely not. When asked why he said, "two many old people, and too boring", from what he saw and heard from his peers who had cruised.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, Mamadenenes said:

If I was still a teenager Celebrity would not be my choice.  That being said it is better than nothing!

Our kids LOVE to cruise as do we. We really don't really care if or where the ship stops. Having said this, we wanted to experience something different on the ship now that they are older. I am sure it will be fine. My best cruise out of my 18 was my first one on Cunard where there were few kids.  That made us super close. I am still friends with some of them 35 years later!