Livorno to Florence via Train

RaShelle

The Norwegian Jade arrives at 9am at the Livorno port on a Saturday. I'm planning to take the train from Livorno to Florence. I understand I will need to get off the boat and get to the train station by taxi, shuttle, or bus. I have a number of questions:

1) What is the earliest I could get to the Livorno train station? There are trains leaving at 9:12, 9:19, 9:41, and 10:12.

2) Does NCL offer a shuttle from the port to the train station? If so, how much is it?

3) Will there be taxis at the port or should I make a reservation?

4) Does NCL offer a direct bus from Livorno to Florence?

5) Do you have another suggestion for getting to Florence as cheap as possible?

Thanks!

Edited by RaShelle
Wanted to add more

1. You could probably make an earlier train.

IIRC we took a train around 8,30

2. I think NCL is the only cruise line which offers a shuttle to the station - the others' shuttles go to the city centre, quite inconvenient for the station. A shared taxi at €25 one-way (most hold up to 8 pax) would be cheaper with sharers, but there's often a shortage of taxis at the port, and sharers at the station for the return, so I suggest you play safe.

3. See my Point 2, but I can't imagine your being able to pre-book a taxi for such a comparatively short distance.

4. Don't know. But it'd doubtless be a lot more expensive than the (€15? return) train. There are privately-operated bus transfers/excursions to Florence. And to Florence+Pisa, though of course they'd be more rushed.

Check your RollCall for share-offers.

5. As my Point 4 above. But no personal experience

If you take the train.......

The station in Florence (Firenze S.M.) is very handy to the historic centre.

The station in Pisa (Pisa Centrale) is a comfortable 20 min walk from the Field of Miracles.

A through-ticket to Florence allows you to break your journey at Pisa

Do note the times of return trains - and double-check those times on-the-day.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

JB has given you excellent advice. The taxis at Livorno port are looking for the higher fares to Florence and/or Pisa. You will be hard pressed to find a taxi willing to take you to the train station (not impossible but difficult). The train is a very affordable option but you must factor in the cost of getting to/from the train station in Livorno and, if applicable, the time lost in doing so.

When we docked in Livorno, we got a group together on our roll call & booked with Tuscany by Taxi. We had our driver for the entire day - picked us up at port upon docking and returned us to port in plenty of time for sail away. We had a nice day in Florence and the cost for 8 of worked out to 45 euro per person.

Yes, thank you both! In addition to looking at the train as an option, I'm exploring private taxi too. I found romeinlimo (€650 for 8), but hadn't heard of Tuscany by taxi. I've already reached out.

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

1. You could probably make an earlier train.

IIRC we took a train around 8,30

Great advice, but just noted that the OP does not arrive until 9:00 am... Given that, I'm not sure the two earlier trains OP listed would be viable but the 9:41 should be okay. (I wouldn't purchase tickets in advance, however.)

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Great advice, but just noted that the OP does not arrive until 9:00 am... Given that, I'm not sure the two earlier trains OP listed would be viable but the 9:41 should be okay. (I wouldn't purchase tickets in advance, however.)

Oooops, didn't notice that.:classic_blush:

Only Doctor Who could make the 08.30 with a disembarkation time of 9am :classic_rolleyes:

Yes, the 09.41 seems the most likely.

This'd be one of the rare occasions when I'd join a line early at the gangway, in order to be on the first transfer bus to the station.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

You routinely pick-up on things that I totally overlook. You would make a great editor/proofreader. 🙂