Away from the crowds - Packing in 2 activities

jennk1425

Help me decide? I'd like to get off the beaten path and go on the Cozumel Bar Hop to see the east side of the island. I would also like to snorkel (too much?)  Our boat is in port from noon until 10pm. How do I fit in both activities? Should I go straight to the Bar Hop, get back downtown around 5-ish and maybe go over to Money Bar for some snorkeling and dinner? Sunset is supposed to be at 7:30. 

Or should I snorkel first (Mystic Snorkel?) and then attempt to see the east side another way?

I'd really like to stay away from the "stand-in-line, wait-to-have-fun" kind of excursion.  Thanks for the help, all!

You could do the Bar Hop, then ask to be dropped off at one of the beach clubs or Money Bar on the way back, rather than going all the way back to the ship.

If you look at the Bar Hop map, they make a big circle, and do drive by the beach "strip" on the way back. Not sure if they would do that, but you can email and ask. 

OTOH, I never put Coz on the list of must see snorkel spots in the Caribbean. Bonaire, BVI, Belize, yes, but Coz, nah. 

The Bar Hop is great fun, not to be missed. There is one stop suitable for swimming, maybe you could snorkle there, if you are determined to see the ocean floor. 

Thanks so much! I'm not a big snorkel aficionado, but my travel partner wants to see some fish. I'm more of a go explore and take killer pictures while learning about the place I'm visiting kind of person. So, for a first-time snorkeler, I think Cozumel may be sufficiently awe-inspiring for her. 🙂 lol

1 hour ago, jennk1425 said:

Help me decide? I'd like to get off the beaten path and go on the Cozumel Bar Hop to see the east side of the island. I would also like to snorkel (too much?)  Our boat is in port from noon until 10pm. How do I fit in both activities? Should I go straight to the Bar Hop, get back downtown around 5-ish and maybe go over to Money Bar for some snorkeling and dinner? Sunset is supposed to be at 7:30. 

Or should I snorkel first (Mystic Snorkel?) and then attempt to see the east side another way?

I'd really like to stay away from the "stand-in-line, wait-to-have-fun" kind of excursion.  Thanks for the help, all!

Actual time will depend on time of year and where your ship sails from. Cozumel is on EST year round.

I am not sure the Bar Hop would  drop you off at Money Bar as suggested. I don't think officially they are allowed (I think they get a Union dispensation to drop off at the ports). also they would have to go south on the old highway and detour but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Depending on how many in your group hiring a private driver from ToursPlaza might be more convenient and possibly economical. We have done both and enjoyed both. You miss out in the social interaction with a private driver but you can dictate your itinerary. 

You could get picked up from the port, tour and stop where you like on the east side and get dropped off at Money Bar to snorkel and dine. Catch a separate taxi back when you have finished. Main problem with this route would be snorkeling after drinking so you might want to reverse and finish off with a meal in town, Rolandi’s, Blue Angel or return to Money Bar for your sunset dinner.

I didn’t take the bar hop, but twice in the last seven months I have hired a taxi to take me downtown, around the “wild side” of the island with three stops, and then drop me off at Paradise Beach.  I took another taxi to get back to the ship from PB.  I was charged $70 from Puerta Maya (Carnival ship) and $90 from Punta Langosta (RCI ship) total, not per person.  No issues either time, other than a little push to go somewhere the driver could have gotten a commission for taking us (tequila factory), and he accepted “no” for an answer.  The tour part took about three hours.

24 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I didn’t take the bar hop, but twice in the last seven months I have hired a taxi to take me downtown, around the “wild side” of the island with three stops, and then drop me off at Paradise Beach.  I took another taxi to get back to the ship from PB.  I was charged $70 from Puerta Maya (Carnival ship) and $90 from Punta Langosta (RCI ship) total, not per person.  No issues either time, other than a little push to go somewhere the driver could have gotten a commission for taking us (tequila factory), and he accepted “no” for an answer.  The tour part took about three hours.

That seems to be in keeping with the posted rates. Always a good idea to take a photo of the board at the pier and to check price with driver before you leave.

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

That seems to be in keeping with the posted rates. Always a good idea to take a photo of the board at the pier and to check price with driver before you leave.

Both times the amount was written down and handed to the driver.  The $20 discrepancy was between the two “coordinators” at the different piers.  The problem is that this is not a specific route, just a half-day tour for one price or a full-day tour at the higher price, and the coordinator decides either how long it will take or how much the customer is willing to pay.  

Do the Bar Hop if they will drop you at the Money Bar, or just pay $12+ for a taxi after they drop you at the pier.  MB offer okay to good snorkeling from the shore plus a sunset happy hour! 😎

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Both times the amount was written down and handed to the driver.  The $20 discrepancy was between the two “coordinators” at the different piers.  The problem is that this is not a specific route, just a half-day tour for one price or a full-day tour at the higher price, and the coordinator decides either how long it will take or how much the customer is willing to pay.  

Yes it is listed on the board as an island tour or "full island tour" sometimes for a set number of hours (sometimes this is crossed out!) which is why it is good to confirm with the driver before you leave and why I recommended taking a photo.

Taking a taxi is fine if you know where you want to go - not all drivers speak English. If you want advice or better recommendations it can be easier to pre-book a driver in advance.