Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

I got an email saying now in July 7th departing Puerto Rico ship Fascination will be in Barbados 8am-9pm 

 

I never been here I wouldn’t know what to do with all that time but is very excited I won’t feel rushed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For cruisers who have never been here before

you should probably start your day with a general island tour

that will show you a bit of everything!

 

Get a group of you together

and hire one of those multi-seat vans that'll seat up to 10.

Tell him/her what interests you: I'm sure they'll accommodate you.
You want to see churches? Check. Monkeys? Check.

Scenic EAST COAST? Check! Easy.

 

You also need to get over to the Caribbean section of these many boards

and find the Barbados category. Lots of advice there, with pictures, etc.

.

Accra-48.jpg

BBay-5800.jpg

Bathsheba-021.jpg

Bathsheba-026.jpg

Spiral-44.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is great to hear, I loved Barbados! It's not a common port, and the extra time will be great to have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Aplmac said:

For cruisers who have never been here before

you should probably start your day with a general island tour

that will show you a bit of everything!

 

Get a group of you together

and hire one of those multi-seat vans that'll seat up to 10.

Tell him/her what interests you: I'm sure they'll accommodate you.
You want to see churches? Check. Monkeys? Check.

Scenic EAST COAST? Check! Easy.

 

You also need to get over to the Caribbean section of these many boards

and find the Barbados category. Lots of advice there, with pictures, etc.

.

Accra-48.jpg

BBay-5800.jpg

Bathsheba-021.jpg

Bathsheba-026.jpg

Spiral-44.jpg

 

 

Okay, thank you for the info because I was wondering what to do for those hours . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Joebucks said:

That is great to hear, I loved Barbados! It's not a common port, and the extra time will be great to have!

 

Yes, I got excited seeing the email saying linger stay hahaha . I wish they did more islands like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mm13 said:

A lot of the locals are commenting on one of the groups I am in saying that Pelican Village which is just outside the port gate has music, dancing, and drinks. It is in the news there that they are trying to attract more pax to the area. https://www.google.com/amp/s/barbadostoday.bb/2019/05/16/hope-for-pelican-with-new-initative/amp/

 

Don't be underwhelmed.......

 

An island tour would be a FAR better option, trust me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Okay island tour I think that would be perfect considering they usually lay a good 2 hours than I can have my toddler in on the ship and we can do like an ATV riding adventure.

Edited by Sagittarius traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Aplmac said:

For cruisers who have never been here before

you should probably start your day with a general island tour

that will show you a bit of everything!

 

Get a group of you together

and hire one of those multi-seat vans that'll seat up to 10.

Tell him/her what interests you: I'm sure they'll accommodate you.
You want to see churches? Check. Monkeys? Check.

Scenic EAST COAST? Check! Easy.

 

You also need to get over to the Caribbean section of these many boards

and find the Barbados category. Lots of advice there, with pictures, etc.

.

Accra-48.jpg

BBay-5800.jpg

Bathsheba-021.jpg

Bathsheba-026.jpg

Spiral-44.jpg

We are going here in November, it's been about 20 years since we were last there. What white sand beach is shown in the top pics, it's beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ABC Cruisers said:

What white sand beach is shown in the top pics, it's beautiful!

.

That white sand beach (sometimes shows pink at the water's edge)

is Rockley Beach, which the locals often call ACCRA

(because of the hotel, by that name).

 

It's not that far from the ship  15-20 mins. depending on the traffic.

You may need more pics of "Accra Beach"

.

Accra_blues.jpg

Accra_Pink_Sand.jpg

Accra-672.jpg

Accra-679.jpg

Accra-945.jpg

Rockley-015.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

.

That white sand beach (sometimes shows pink at the water's edge)

is Rockley Beach, which the locals often call ACCRA

(because of the hotel, by that name).

 

It's not that far from the ship  15-20 mins. depending on the traffic.

You may need more pics of "Accra Beach"

.

Accra_blues.jpg

Accra_Pink_Sand.jpg

Accra-672.jpg

Accra-679.jpg

Accra-945.jpg

Rockley-015.jpg

Thank you so much for the pics! Last time we did the caves and a land tour, so this time we were looking for a beautiful beach or catamaran, this is just what we are looking for!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ABC Cruisers said:

Thank you so much for the pics! ===> You're welcome!

Last time we did the caves and a land tour, so this time

we were looking for a beautiful beach or catamaran,

this is just what we are looking for!!!

.

Lots of amenities surrounding the immediate Rockley/Accra area

even a bus-stop to get you back into Bridgetown!

 

Snack shacks are right there,

public toilets (and shower, even if somewhat crude)

Shade trees...

Pizza and fast food at Chefette, immediately across the street,

Taxi stand next door to the Accra Hotel.

Umbrellas and chairs for hire, Boogey boards too I believe..

 

but no snorkelling equip. I don't think..?

bcoz snorkelling is limited to the single, man-made offshore barrier reef
which has interesting marine growth, if you're up to the 150 yard swim, out to it

- so bring yer own gear OK?

 

U need more pics?

.

BeachFashion-031.jpg

Rockley-012.jpg

Rockley-022.jpg

ChickenGeo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

.

Lots of amenities surrounding the immediate Rockley/Accra area

even a bus-stop to get you back into Bridgetown!

 

Snack shacks are right there,

public toilets (and shower, even if somewhat crude)

Shade trees...

Pizza and fast food at Chefette, immediately across the street,

Taxi stand next door to the Accra Hotel.

Umbrellas and chairs for hire, Boogey boards too I believe..

 

but no snorkelling equip. I don't think..?

bcoz snorkelling is limited to the single, man-made offshore barrier reef
which has interesting marine growth, if you're up to the 150 yard swim, out to it

- so bring yer own gear OK?

 

U need more pics?

.

BeachFashion-031.jpg

Rockley-012.jpg

Rockley-022.jpg

ChickenGeo.jpg

I sent your pics over to my husband, it got the thumbs up, so that's another day checked off our list! We travel with our own snorkel gear, so that's perfect! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ABC Cruisers said:

I sent your pics over to my husband, it got the thumbs up,

so that's another day checked off our list!

We travel with our own snorkel gear, so that's perfect! 🙂

.

Another two pics to guide you:

 

First pic is a satellite view

showing the dark straight line of Nova Scotia granite boulders

that make up the offshore wave-energy barrier

now in place for the last 20 years or so (decent marine growth).

 

Second pic is a view taken from the beach

showing the two dark, navig.warning markers that stick up out of the water

indicating the two ends of the barrier.

 

This barrier is almost awash at LO tide, and about 2-3 ft. deep at HI tide.

Down at the bottom where the whole structure rests on the sand bottom

is no more than about 15 ft. depth or so. Have fun!

.

Rockley Bay.jpg

!BarrierReef offshore.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Carlisle Beach where we paid $20pp to get a chair, umbrella, and catamaran with turtles/rays, and a shipwreck snorkeling. On top of this, the beach was very nice. Highly recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...