Cruise Critic Community
1island2go

Restaurant Suggestions

Looking for restaurant suggestions for Amsterdam and Lucerne for pre and post cruise extensions. Staying at Renaissance Amsterdam and Renaissance Lucerne. Looking for good basic food...not into all the gourmet foams, caviars, etc. Street food on the go at lunch is ok but would enjoy sit down dinners in evening. Would like moderate priced (15-35 Euro per person for main course in evenings) Interested in suggestions for Breakfast and lunch as well. Not into the hotel buffets at 25-30 Euros/person...something simple for breakfast, even good bakeries are a plus! Would think we would like close to hotel in morning and evening but open to all suggestions. Been studying all the reviews on trip advisor until I am cross eyed...and hoping for some input from you all with your favorites. Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)

Below are cafes we have enjoyed in Amsterdam - good food, affordable prices:

La Falote - museum quarter (serves good Dutch food)

Goodies - nine streets shopping area (good selection & everything is fresh & organic)

Winkel 43 (Jordaan) we have enjoyed both breakfast & lunch here on several visits

Cafe Bern - excellent fondue

Lanskroon - this bakery makes the best stroopwafels we have ever tasted & they are huge

We love De Laatste Kruimel - delicious pastries (they also serve sandwiches & quiche)

Edited by dogs4fun

Forgot Greenwoods - bonus - it is located on the Singel canal - easy stroll from the Renaissance. We have also enjoyed breakfast here on more than one occasion - you can check-out their menu here:

http://greenwoods.eu/singel/

Here's another nice one we were at in front of central station,  Loetje Centraal.

Posted (edited)

We had a great lunch at Steakhouse Grill, right beside the Restaurant Guadalupe.  Food was quite good for a decent price, and the nicest thing was, the patio was right over one of the canal's so we could eat and watch the boats go through.  Just looked at it on the map, and it could be part of the Restaurant Guadalupe.  I'ts on Prins Hendrikkade, very close to Amsterdam Centraal.  This was our view for lunch.

IMG_1903.JPG

Edited by Daisi

Any recommendations for restaurants in the de Pijp neighborhood?  Viking's putting us up in the Pestana Amsterdam.  Interested in trying a rice table.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Any recommendations for restaurants in the de Pijp neighborhood?  Viking's putting us up in the Pestana Amsterdam.  Interested in trying a rice table.

I had Arles and Little Collins on my lists of places to visit (unfortunately, we ran out of time). Cafe Caron and Auberge Jean & Marie are farther West and were also recommended to us. We didn't get to go this year but on a previous trip, we had a lovely brunch at Bakers & Roasters (also to the west; note that they have two locations). We had a very good dinner at Sampurna - Indrapura and Kartika were also suggested to us. 

The nearby Albert Cuypmarkt has lot of food, too. My favorite stroopwafel came from this stand: 

fixedw_large_4x.jpg

Edited by 3rdCoastFan

20 hours ago, 1island2go said:

Looking for restaurant suggestions for Amsterdam and Lucerne for pre and post cruise extensions. Staying at Renaissance Amsterdam and Renaissance Lucerne. Looking for good basic food...not into all the gourmet foams, caviars, etc. Street food on the go at lunch is ok but would enjoy sit down dinners in evening. Would like moderate priced (15-35 Euro per person for main course in evenings) Interested in suggestions for Breakfast and lunch as well. Not into the hotel buffets at 25-30 Euros/person...something simple for breakfast, even good bakeries are a plus! Would think we would like close to hotel in morning and evening but open to all suggestions. Been studying all the reviews on trip advisor until I am cross eyed...and hoping for some input from you all with your favorites. Thanks in advance!

@1island2go You might want to start a new thread in this forum for Lucerne, since that seems to have been lost here. It would help if you put more detail in your title, something like "Restaurant Suggestions Lucerne"

On 6/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, dogs4fun said:

Winkel 43 (Jordaan) we have enjoyed both breakfast & lunch here on several visits

A friend told me that we absolutely had to have the apple pie here!

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

A friend told me that we absolutely had to have the apple pie here!

Your friend gave you a great tip - the apple pie is delicious!

Just now, dogs4fun said:

Your friend gave you a great tip - the apple pie is delicious!

She told me she was ready to marry the chef!  🤣

What city is this apple pie located in?  What is the name of the eatery?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, AF-1 said:

What city is this apple pie located in?  What is the name of the eatery?

Winkel 43 in Amsterdam.  (See comment 10 above.)

Thank you for you reply.  I saw that; and thought Winkel43 was someones cruise critic name

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thank you for you reply.  I saw that; and thought Winkel43 was someones cruise critic name

😃

I think my friend will kill me if we don't try the apple pie there.

https://winkel43.nl/en/

Our group of 11 had a fantastic dinner in Amsterdam at Van Speyk!

What kind of food do they serve there?

Posted (edited)

I'm sure there are better places to eat, but the cafe at the Rijksmuseum is a nice place to have lunch, relax, and split a day there into halves.  We had a nice lunch at the cafe, and drank a good beer 😋 .  The Restaurant there is overpriced.  Please don't confuse the two.  We enjoyed the art, and much more, there in June, 2019 - and didn't starve LOL.

RX100744.thumb.JPG.4fa856f4d236f0a352a988a74f9a1381.JPG

Edited by Mike R 2018

@Mike R 2018, enjoying all of your posts very much--keep them coming!!  We sail AMS to BSL in 52 days, so we can't get enough of tips and suggestions of previous cruisers!

Posted (edited)

Sharkster77, thanks!  Two more thoughts regarding Amsterdam:

One of my best memories of the city was when I left our hotel at 7 AM on a weekday with my camera in hand.  I spent two hours on my own enjoying the buildings, canals, flowers, and monuments- and taking dozens of pictures- at my leisure.  I just walked to the city hall (15 minutes) then returned, with a few detours of course.  I saw sights most tourist don't...  There were almost NO tourists to be seen at that time of the day.

Our Tourist boat captain recommended that we have a slice of apple pie at the Het Papendeiland on the canal,  and just north of the Anne Frank House.  We did- and it was great.  The owner even showed us a framed letter from President Clinton, who visited Amsterdam after he left the presidency, stopped at this family-owned cafe, had a slice of pie, then wrote to thank them for the great pie and atmosphere.  The framed letter is hanging on a back wall of the cafe.  You feel as though you stepped back in time with the cast iron stove and delft tiles on the walls.  We met several very nice locals who have their morning coffee/pie there.

RX100861.JPG

RX100616.JPG

Edited by Mike R 2018
pic