Kauai Beaches

B-52

Looking for nice beach within fair taxi-uber ride from cruise port

Would like all the amenities, food, bar, chairs etc.

Won't mind paying a resort fee if that is what is needed.

We have a Helicopter tour in the am, and want to lounge at a beach that afternoon.

Thanks In Advance

17 hours ago, B-52 said:

Won't mind paying a resort fee if that is what is needed.

We have a Helicopter tour in the am, and want to lounge at a beach that afternoon.

Thanks In Advance

Oh! I like this idea and would like to do something similar. Following this post to see what ideas you receive.

Kalapaki Beach is within walking distance of the dock at Nawiliwili.  It's a public beach park with some rentals.  There are food trucks and restaurants nearby.  Just around the corner is the Marriott if you would like a more "resort experience."  

My personal favorite nearby is Lydgate Beach Park.  It's a huge park with nice beaches and walking paths.

It is easy to buy an inexpensive folding beach chair or straw beach mat at an ABC store or Walmart.  Food trucks are common in the islands and are great for lunch.  Markets (grocery stores, drug stores such as CVS) sell take-out and snacks for lunches and beach picnics.  I would encourage you to try a local beach rather than a resort if you want a true Hawaiian beach day.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 2:12 PM, B-52 said:

Won't mind paying a resort fee if that is what is needed

Because beaches in Hawaii are all public, you don't find services like this like you would in Mexico.

You can get Resort Pass for a lot of hotels, but ALL it includes is the ability to be there, no food or drinks, those would be extra. They don't come inexpensively.

Hotels in Kauai that participate are the Grand Hyatt, Marriott Kalapaki (where the ship docks) and Sheraton Poipu. Not sure on Koloa Landing (Marriott).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 10:06 AM, PNW Traveler said:

Kalapaki Beach is within walking distance of the dock at Nawiliwili.  It's a public beach park with some rentals.  There are food trucks and restaurants nearby.  Just around the corner is the Marriott if you would like a more "resort experience."  

My personal favorite nearby is Lydgate Beach Park.  It's a huge park with nice beaches and walking paths.

It is easy to buy an inexpensive folding beach chair or straw beach mat at an ABC store or Walmart.  Food trucks are common in the islands and are great for lunch.  Markets (grocery stores, drug stores such as CVS) sell take-out and snacks for lunches and beach picnics.  I would encourage you to try a local beach rather than a resort if you want a true Hawaiian beach day.

What is the best way to get to Lydgate Beach when docked at Nawilliwili port?

22 minutes ago, lovebears said:

What is the best way to get to Lydgate Beach when docked at Nawilliwili port?

The best way probably is a taxi, unless you want to rent a car for the day.  Kauai has Uber, but there are very few Uber cars/drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 2:19 AM, PNW Traveler said:

The best way probably is a taxi, unless you want to rent a car for the day.  Kauai has Uber, but there are very few Uber cars/drivers.

We had the UBER and Lyft apps on our phones we used google maps to find the route and it gives you prices for both apps. We never waited more than 5-10 mins in any Hawai’i port this month. There were many drivers available. 

2 minutes ago, AlohaCathy said:

We had the UBER and Lyft apps on our phones we used google maps to find the route and it gives you prices for both apps. We never waited more than 5-10 mins in any Hawai’i port this month. There were many drivers available. 

It's good news that there are more drivers available on Kauai than in the past.  Thank you for posting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PNW Traveler said:

It's good news that there are more drivers available on Kauai than in the past.  Thank you for posting.

I guess they know what days the ships come in on the islands and make sure they’re available. I’d say 80-90% of the drivers we had were women which is very different to the UK. I’ve only had a handful of female drivers in the whole time since Uber launched. We used Lyft a lot more than Uber unless there was a big price difference - there seemed to be more drivers and it was a dollar or two cheaper. 

I did think Kauai might prove a problem with drivers but we had the same experience there as on the other islands. Good prices and fast service. 

Edited by AlohaCathy