Pin in broken arm under a cast - will this a problem at Security?

My son broke his arm recently and they had to place a temporary pin in it during surgery to hold the bones together.  The pin is under a plaster arm cast.  We are scheduled to sail on the Navigator this Friday.  We would still like to go on our cruise - even if we cannot partake in any of the water activities on-board or at Coco Cay.  😞 It is our first cruise as Diamond. 

He doesn't get the cast off and the pin taken out until after we get back from our cruise.  Does anybody know if this pin will set off the metal detectors boarding the ship?  I am concerned as it is underneath a thick cast so there is no way for security to actually see the pin if he does set off the detector.  

I sent an email to the RCCL Special Needs Department asking them about this and am awaiting a response when they reopen tomorrow.  I was hoping someone here may have had experience with this sort of thing.  Anyone?  

Thanks so much! 

I wouldn't worry about security, if it does set off the machine, just tell them it has a pin, they have seen it before.  Has his doctor specifically said he can't go in the water?  There are some really good waterproof cast covers out there that can be used for bathing and for swimming.  We got one that was fully submersible.  I forget the company that makes it but it is blue neoprene and has a tight gasket that keeps it water tight.  It is much better than the cheaper clear ones but also much more expensive.  Medical supply stores have the one we purchased.

1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

If you need to fly to the cruise it will be a big problem.....🤔

We are driving to Miami - thankfully!   I have read that with the pin being under a cast - so not visible - that airport security could be an issue, since they cannot visually verify what is setting it off.   Was hoping that it might be ok at  the cruise port.   

Don't want to take the days off of work and drive all of the way to Miami if there is a chance we cannot go on the cruise.  

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Highly doubtful.

How do you say that?🤔

I have first hand experience that airlines will NOT let you fly with a cast and a nail in your arm - the pressure change might affect the wound under the cast causing "internal" bleeding and an emergency in air....security is not that much of an issue!

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

How do you say that?🤔

I have first hand experience that airlines will NOT let you fly with a cast and a nail in your arm - the pressure change might afect the wound under the cast casing "internal" bleeding and an emergency in air....security is not that much of an issue!

Yes that applies to plaster casts that have been put on for 24 hours for short flights and 48 hours for longer flights.  You can also have the cast split and be able to fly. 

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I wouldn't worry about security, if it does set off the machine, just tell them it has a pin, they have seen it before.  Has his doctor specifically said he can't go in the water?  There are some really good waterproof cast covers out there that can be used for bathing and for swimming.  We got one that was fully submersible.  I forget the company that makes it but it is blue neoprene and has a tight gasket that keeps it water tight.  It is much better than the cheaper clear ones but also much more expensive.  Medical supply stores have the one we purchased.

Hmm - well he has to be real careful not to bang his arm since he does have a pin sticking out from his arm underneath his cast and both bones were broken pretty badly.  We got one of the clear covers which he has been using for showering.  I will look into the blue neoprene ones, maybe that will at least allow some fun as a consolation prize for not getting to do the new water slides on-board or at Coco Cay.  

Thanks so much for the suggestion!  

2 minutes ago, floridajan said:

Hmm - well he has to be real careful not to bang his arm since he does have a pin sticking out from his arm underneath his cast and both bones were broken pretty badly.  We got one of the clear covers which he has been using for showering.  I will look into the blue neoprene ones, maybe that will at least allow some fun as a consolation prize for not getting to do the new water slides on-board or at Coco Cay.  

Thanks so much for the suggestion!  

The slides and the ocean would definitely be out, but the big pool at Coco Cay might be an option to just float around.  Wave pool would be a no go too, but if he could at least get in the pool, it might be a boost to his mood.  Doesn't hurt to ask and see what they say.  Good luck!

7 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

How do you say that?🤔

I have first hand experience that airlines will NOT let you fly with a cast and a nail in your arm - the pressure change might affect the wound under the cast causing "internal" bleeding and an emergency in air....security is not that much of an issue!

Well thankfully we live in Florida and don't need to fly to get to Miami.  So no worries about that! 

I appreciate the information! 

Security at the port check-in should not be a problem.  I have a metal knee and they just use the wand, sometimes every time I leave the ship and then return.  If you tell them what it is they wand and when it goes off they know you were telling the truth.

5 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

If a split cast is a medical option.....unfortunatley that was not possible for me😥

You may have to have a new cast put on once you arrive at your destination and then repeat the process for your return.  By no means an easy task and may not be applicable to all but there can be options. 

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You may have to have a new cast put on once you arrive at your destination and then repeat the process for your return.  By no means an easy task and may not be applicable to all but there can be options. 

No was not an option for me.... too risky in my   case.... but this is not applicable here anyway... so let's save that discussion for the medical forum! 😷😁

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

If you need to fly to the cruise it will be a big problem.....🤔

WMT do you sau that? Not true! DW broke wrist, 2 inch plate with 8 screws. Never a problem going through airport, cruise line,  etc. In fact,  she still had the plate and screws. Been on 6 flights in the US and 2 to SEA in the past 5 months and never set off anything. 

Son can also request a "pat down."  Because of my pacemaker doctor said I could not go thru security or be wanded.  I even got a pat down each time we got on/off ship in Cuba.  I simply tell the agent I need to be patted down and there has never been a question.  I also have an artificial left hip and a metal hinge in my spine.  Son will not have an issue.

37 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Security at the port check-in should not be a problem.  I have a metal knee and they just use the wand, sometimes every time I leave the ship and then return.  If you tell them what it is they wand and when it goes off they know you were telling the truth.

I’m sure they are used to the older cruisers having some sort of metal “parts.”  For me it’s a hip. Never a problem with either TSA or a ship. 

It is interesting what sets the scanner off.  There are times I can pass thru the scanner and then the next time I set it off.  Kinda of like a lottery ticket, will I get win and just pass thru or lose and get wanded.  Anyway you look at it, it is all worth it to get on the ship and have some one take care of you for a week.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  If the pin sets the detector off, they can wand him and tell that something under his cast near his wrist is what is setting it off.  I am just not sure what they do from there - hopefully take me on my word that it is a metal surgical pin that is sticking out of his arm under the cast. For what it is worth, I have a photo of the x-ray showing the pin. 

Patting him down will not really do any good as they cannot tell what is under the cast.  If he had the pin inside his arm and didn't have the cast - the wand would work great, as they could tell it was something inside him and not just something hidden inside his cast.  The fact that the pin is under his cast and they cannot see what is there - is what is worrying me. 

Hopefully it is not the type of metal that will set the thing off to begin with and all of this worry is for nothing!  I am going to call the Orthopedic Surgeon's office in the morning to see if they know if it will or will not.

I sure could use someone waiting on me after the past few weeks of dealing with this injury & surgery!   🙂