US/Canadian money exchange

Ought To Be Cruising

Agree - airports generally, and YVR isn't an exception, offer some of the worst exchange rates you'll find anywhere. If you're the kind of folks who like to spend cash then hit an ATM; if you have a Chip & PIN Visa or Mastercard you'll be able to use it basically anywhere, even food trucks take credit (we have more 'cards only' than 'cash only' restos these days). If it's a couple of bucks here and there for tips where swiping a card just isn't an option, then breaking a US$20 (I'm assuming from your username you're in the US state of New Mexico OP) when buying a coffee at Timmies will get you: a) a very fair exchange rate, and; b) change in CAD.

Check with your local bank with which you have an account.  They may be able to obtain some Canadian currency at a decent exchange rate prior to your departure.  I try not to have to depend on finding an ATM to get foreign currency.  Doing so wastes valuable vacation time and I am reluctant to solely depend upon my foreign transaction free credit card.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:06 PM, martincath said:

If it's a couple of bucks here and there for tips where swiping a card just isn't an option, then breaking a US$20 (I'm assuming from your username you're in the US state of New Mexico OP) when buying a coffee at Timmies will get you: a) a very fair exchange rate, and; b) change in CAD.

Good advice!  Please don't use any US bill larger than a $20 though.  Every year, there are merchant warnings about counterfeit US $s, usually $50s and $100s.