Soft drinks and coffees.

cinnamon

We will be on the new Discovery before the all-inclusive regime starts. The brochure says wine is included with lunch and dinner, which will suit us well. However, it says tea, coffee and fruit juices are available ‘complimentary’ during the day. From experience on the previous ships, can anyone tell me whether soft drinks such as Cola or 7-Up have to be bought?  Also, is the coffee just instant or the stuff kept warm in jugs or are there bean to cup machines available without extra charge. 

We usually cruise on Azamara which has bean to cup machines available in the Windows cafe and a coffee  ‘shop’ with Baristas with complimentary hot drinks. 

If soft drinks have to be bought, can anyone give me an idea of prices please?

Is it acceptable to bring onboard some soft drinks of our own as DH prefers Caffeine free, sugar free ones. 

Thank you. 

Edited by cinnamon

Hi Cinnamon, 

Yes bean to cup coffee machines in bars and also in the other areas of the ship which were self serve but still bean to cup.

Sodas all included, but cannot remember whether Coke or Pepsi, sugar free also.

As far as I remember fridge stocked with sodas etc. Water available to take on tour at gangway just like Azamara.

Good choice of wines at lunch and dinner included.

Ask your TA to request in advance the sodas you prefer, I’m fairly sure they will do their best to comply.

All alcoholic drinks VERY reasonably priced.

Edited by Glenndale

Can't answer to soft drinks, as we do not drink them.   On the current ship, Sapphire, and hoping it will continue on the new ones, there are several outlets for DIY good coffee - I like a double espresso at breakfast time.  The cafe and restaurant coffee is not too bad, and so far always hot, which is important to me, but you can make your own at the casual restaurant.

On Sapphire if you order coffee in the bar from a waiter you have to pay, even on all inclusive, but the DIY from the machine is better, and free.

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

On Sapphire if you order coffee in the bar from a waiter you have to pay, even on all inclusive, but the DIY from the machine is better, and free.

Sorry Lincslady but that is not true. We were on an all-inclusive in February on Sapphire and often ordered coffee in the Navigators bar and were not required to pay.

Maybe you are talking about the speciality coffees?

What we did on occasion do was order coffee and an included brandy and add to the coffee - no charge.

Apologies - it was on Pearl, even on all inclusive, a morning coffee in the bar was charged for.  (I think you meant the Aviators bar?)

I think we need to be careful about how we try to help 'newbies' - things on Sapphire may not translate exactly on to the new ship.  That did strike me when I mentioned embarkation lunch - could be completely different on Discovery.  We will all find out in due course!  When, hopefully, reports start to come in.  Not long now.

Yes, Aviators bar 😁 Close but no cigar.

I have just been on chat with Saga asking about the sodas and will report back when they have emailed me back, just to be accurate.

It is so easy to confuse one line with another. I always pre request diet sodas on Oceania which works well.

Have you booked on Spirit of Discovery lincslady?

I am so looking forward to getting the first reports from on board.

Edited by Glenndale

I have just received a call back from Saga with information re sodas.

Yes, the fridge will be stocked with sodas and yes, you can pre request diet via your TA or direct via your cruise personaliser.

Also, the young lady I spoke to advised even if you have booked thru a TA you can still use the chat facility on their web site if you have any queries.

Apparently Saga staff will be having a ship visit at the end of the month and are getting really excited about the new ships 😁

I always request a mattress topper and she said she will give me a call back when she has tried out the beds.

• Like 1

This is interesting.  I'm also on Discovery before all-inclusive starts.  I was expecting soft drinks to only be complimentary with meals, and thought anything in the cabin fridge would be an extra charge including soft drinks.

I mostly drink Coke so was planning on taking some with me for in the cabin.  If it's supplied at no extra cost then I can pack lighter!

Does anyone know if pineapple juice is usually available?

15 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

Does anyone know if pineapple juice is usually available?

Tigrou, I think it is best you contact Saga either thru your TA or directly and get a definitive answer from the “horses mouth” so to speak.😀

Please report back on any of your replies as I’m sure they would be helpful to others.

Hi Glenndale - not yet, have one more on Sapphire booked.  

I have had another look at some Saga cruises advertised by a well known TA, who sends me emails of offers, and have to say that at present the prices match Saga's, so definitely not worth booking through them, as I am sure it is easier to get information directly from Saga without the middleman.   They did have some bargains a while ago, suspect they were poor sellers.

I needed a mattress topper on Pearl, but not on Sapphire.  I would expect the mattresses on Discovery to be absolutely wonderful.