Must Bring Items

Hello Cruisers!

This board has been so helpful in figuring out the little things...I have never been on a cruise before. Doing the Baltic cruise in July.  I know this might seem like a basic question, but someone always has an idea that is genius!  Thanks in advance for your help!

What are your MUST BRING items? 

Do you need adapters for things like iPhone chargers or are the plugs American?

Unrelated:  What can you use shipboard credits for other than excursions?

Edited by allison12

There are many threads which address your last two questions, but here are the short answers:

There are some American style outlets which you can use.  However, there are also many European, 220/240v outlets.  Get some inexpensive ($1-2/each) European to American plug adapters and you'll have many more outlets to choose from.  Explorer (only ship for the moment as far as I recall) also has USB ports on each side of the bed so there you only need the cords.  Note that to use the European outlets, your devices must be 110-240v, 50-60 Hz compatible.  Virtually every electronic device manufactured in the last 10+ years will be compatible...but check (it'll be written on the charger).

On-board credits come in two flavors: those that can be cashed out (sometimes those from your TA...check) and those which are use-or-lose (Regent OBC's and some from TA's).  If the former, and the front desk can tell you which they are, you can just cash them out.  If the latter, then besides excursions: the boutiques on board, the spa, premium price drinks (most are included...we're talking vintage wines or aged spirits).  That's pretty much it since the vast majority of expenses you might encounter on other lines are included.

If you do a search here, you'll find many, many threads which will provide even more information.

The must bring items vary so much based on your cruise and shore plans, so more detail will help others to respond.

Edited by Portolan

1 hour ago, allison12 said:

What can you use shipboard credits for other than excursions?

We use our onboard credits to do laundry. I spent  time in the laundry on my first cruise and said never again. We are lucky enough to be gold and get 1 bag a week free but in the past we didn't so used the OBC to do dry cleaning or regular laundry.  

Have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, allison12 said:

Hello Cruisers!

This board has been so helpful in figuring out the little things...I have never been on a cruise before. Doing the Baltic cruise in July.  I know this might seem like a basic question, but someone always has an idea that is genius!  Thanks in advance for your help!

What are your MUST BRING items? 

Do you need adapters for things like iPhone chargers or are the plugs American?

Unrelated:  What can you use shipboard credits for other than excursions?

You will love the Baltic! Try not to over pack, I think often it’s more about what you shouldn’t bring then what you should bring. And that’s a great use for your onboard credit ... have your laundry done for you.

1 minute ago, kjbacon said:

You will love the Baltic! Try not to over pack, I think often it’s more about what you shouldn’t bring then what you should bring. And that’s a great use for your onboard credit ... have your laundry done for you.

Excellent point--what not bring!  I always pack too much clothes!

I love the idea of using credits for laundry!

Right, good point.  Do not overpack!  You won't need as many outfits as you need.

For the Baltic, good comfortable walking shoes, perhaps a rain jacket and small umbrella (there is a large one in the cabin, but I like my own purse-sized one.)

Bathing suit if you like hot tubs or pool dips. A cover-up for same.  Some casual sandals to wear around the ship, if you're that kind of person.

A shawl or pashmina or two for evening (dining rooms can be coolish, plus they can dress up an outfit.)

Must bring items?  I bring a multi-port USB charger (one AC cord, 5-6 USB ports) so I can charge multiple devices with one AC cord.  I use my Apple Watch for an alarm clock.  Some people bring small battery operated tea lights to use as nightlights.

We honestly don't bring much - we try and mix 'n match clothing colors/styles so we can keep it fresh.  I always bring too many shoes - my wife actually brings fewer shoes than I do!  We also bought some color-coded (red/blue) zipper clothing bags, too - when we pack, we zip our clothes into these bags and then split them between out suitcases so we always have at least something to wear if a bag goes missing.  It's a good idea to bring a travel scale, too - I keep one in my travel backpack, it weighs next to nothing and it will tell you if you have a bag or two that are overweight.  Better to redistribute your stuff in the cabin than in the airport.

Always keep prescription meds with you in your carryon.  I bring sunscreen depending on the itinerary, although I use it almost everywhere.  Just normal travel stuff, I really can't think of much 'cruise-specific' stuff we bring...

@allison12, welcome to the world of cruising and to Regent 🙂

"must bring" items for a first cruise:

• good appetite - for the fabulous food & drink on offer
  • inquiring mind - if in doubt about anything during your cruise, simply ask
  • relaxed attitude - no need to rush - don't feel you have to do everything on offer every day
  • glass half-full outlook - for when some things don't quite go to plan
  • sense of humour - for those very odd occasions when you encounter a grouchy, loud or rude fellow traveller 

Have a great cruise 😎

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

@allison12, welcome to the world of cruising and to Regent 🙂

"must bring" items for a first cruise:

• good appetite - for the fabulous food & drink on offer
  • inquiring mind - if in doubt about anything during your cruise, simply ask
  • relaxed attitude - no need to rush - don't feel you have to do everything on offer every day
  • glass half-full outlook - for when some things don't quite go to plan
  • sense of humour - for those very odd occasions when you encounter a grouchy, loud or rude fellow traveller 
  • A lanyard.

Sorry - couldn't resist!   :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

We pack a small amount of duct tape.  Sometimes in rough seas the drawers can open and shut closed.  The tape keeps them from making noise.

We also pack a small (weighs just ounces) light that comes on when you go into the bathroom and goes out several seconds after you leave.  I found this on Amazon - it was meant to put in the toilet so that men can see where they are aiming at night.  I cannot imagine it in a toilet so I use it as a motion detector light on cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Other helpful items include a couple of “fat outfits” because the food is that good. The last couple days you may find that your slacks and blouses are a pinch tight like we did. We bought gorgeous linen shirts in Greece that were a size bigger than what we normally are wearing these days to help “expand”our outfits!

I would also suggest some basic meds like cough drops since colds have a way of spreading through the ship, confined spaces and not everyone is as careful with hand washing as could be, While everything is included and you can have all the lobster and champagne you want at no charge, each cough drop costs $1.00. 

Packing your prescription meds and other absolute necessities in a carry on as suggested by UUNetBill is probably the most important thing you can do ... and even when you don’t think you have to. We were flying home from St Thomas a few months ago when the plane was diverted to San Juan for a medical emergency. Given our options, we decided it was best for us to stay in San Juan for the night and fly out in the morning. Thinking we were just a couple hours from home, we checked our carry on and didn’t have our meds. We never let our meds out of our sight since. You just never know! 

Edited by kjbacon
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In addition to above ( especially the advice to have all regular meds plus extras  and prn meds including seasickness rx to be in carryons, and the mini-duct tape — latter is useful for howling windows, loose hems, busted straps on cases, loud seatmates . . . )

1. a lightweight change of clothing in your carryon for flight cancellations that require overnights in airport hotels or when luggage is lost ( I have too much experience with that 😟)

an extension cord if you use CPAP at bedside, if ship or hotel may have no bedside chargers and reception has no cords, or if you spend  hours on your device posting on CC on the sofa or bed

related:  redundancy in charger cords ( two is one and one is none), at least one for relevant devices on each person

3.  not just one, but at least two credit cards, in case one will not read or gets blocked at an inopportune time due to security concerns

4.  sunhat or cap ( preferably without controversial or in your face logos) and lots of screen — sun can be bright in the north in summer, skin cancer is not rare, not mention wrinkles!

5.  small bug spray or wipes just in case you are near a swamp or standing water ( hopefully only an issue off the ship)

6.  if you often feel warm in venues that are poorly air conditioned or not cooled at all ( common in Baltics) a small hand fan for your purse ($2 on Amazon), especially useful on stuffy buses.  I get hot a lot, so also bring a small but quiet battery operated fan and USB cable for recharging it ( has been a lifesaver) 

7.  a couple empty refillable and reusable little mini screwtop plastic or other lightweight bottles, for lightweight water or transferred soda, or ‘other’ liquid hauling on excursions, given the anti-plastic trend

8.  a change of walking shoes, in case the first pair gets soaked in rain or mud and needs time to dry out

9.  DH and I bring our own rubber wine recorking tops and vacuum device for our rooms for our special wines we do not immediately  finish off ( we also bring a champagne recorker), as personnel can be slow getting it to you, or forget 

related:  small travel sized red wine spot remover 😮

10.  If you use ipad a lot — an “ipad prop” for the couch or bed ( if you check luggage) to enhance your relaxing luxury experience

11. extra camera batteries

12.  check and doublecheck essential cables, chargers and meds before leaving

13.  allow extra time for everything to minimize stress

14. Unless you are hard of hearing, ear plugs that work  in your ears ( only the wax, moldable  ones off Amazon  fit me and stay in) to block noisy airport venues, children, ‘active’ 

neighbors, yelling hallway personnel, annoying overhead background pop music in lounges or near pool

15.  small headphones for your phone, so you do not become that guy or gal who plays Youtube videos or does loud calls to grandkids on the phone speaker setting while on a crowded bus, or in a quiet venue where others are relaxing, or in an airport lounge

16.  extra pair or glasses

extra pair of sunglasses, if prescription or bifocal type 

16.  corned beef sandwich

17.  kitchen sink

Given my meds and  DH camera stuff consume most of our carryon space, DH and I have to check a big suitcase each ( and a third one for colder climates). We cannot do just carryon anymore like the younger and healthier and less fussy people can  ( too many meds, too many unreliable flights to and from west coast  U.S. , lower tolerance of pain and discomfort, and too much tempting “ have to take” tech).

• Like 2

I have another suggestion.  Several years ago while traveling in Australia between Ayers Rock and Alice Springs my wallet was lost. We had to sit in the airport and cancel our Credit Cards and since we have several bills automatically deducted from the cards we had to call each company and tell them not to use the cards for auto payments  We forgot 1 an EZPass for toll roads and it cost us $200 in fines. Since than we use just 1 card for everything that is automatically charged. Neither one of us carries that card, it remains in the safe. 

Since that experience we each carry 2 cards but not the same ones so if 1 of us loses our cards we can cancel the lost cards and still have cards that can be used.  

Hope this is helpful

Edited by Nishi Azabu
Incorrect spelling
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

.  DH and I bring our own rubber wine recorking tops and vacuum device for our rooms for our special wines we do not immediately  finish off ( we also bring a champagne recorker), as personnel can be slow getting it to you, or forget 

Just an FYI - Regent provides a Champagne re-corker in every suite - you'll find it near the glassware.

3 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Just an FYI - Regent provides a Champagne re-corker in every suite - you'll find it near the glassware.

We use them on every cruise.  I tend to drink Champagne when I am unpacking (which may be why I cannot find anything).  I do not drink the whole bottle so use the re-corker to save whatever is left!

I bring a pair of my last prescription regular eyeglasses and sunglasses as a back up. Lost both once in a neat little outdoor cafe in Tuscany when I left my fanny pack on the back of my chair after having a great lunch and a couple glasses of  wine--go figure. Another time I sat on my sunglasses. It's heck to get old.