Jolly Beach, Darkwood, or Turner's Beach?

Ronaldo807

5 adults, two kids (8 and 1) looking for calm, clear waters with the ability to rent chairs, umbrellas, food/drink, and restrooms. We have narrowed it down to these 3 beaches, but are having a tough time deciding. We don't need any water sports or activities. This is more of a relax and enjoy the day/drinks. Thoughts?

13 hours ago, Ronaldo807 said:

5 adults, two kids (8 and 1) looking for calm, clear waters with the ability to rent chairs, umbrellas, food/drink, and restrooms. We have narrowed it down to these 3 beaches, but are having a tough time deciding. We don't need any water sports or activities. This is more of a relax and enjoy the day/drinks. Thoughts?

As there are children involved, go to Turners.  The easy gentler entry to the sea is to the far left of the beach as you enter.  Bag a solid shade close to the bar. Don't forget to spend a few dollars at 'Grandma's" souvenir and clothing stalls, to your right on entry, before you leave.

Before grabbing the shuttle ($8.00 pp each way, kids are usually free) the adults should purchase a bottle of local rum for the beach.  About $10/12 as drinks at beaches are about $7.00 per shot.  Buy mixers at the beach with ice.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As there are children involved, go to Turners.  The easy gentler entry to the sea is to the far left of the beach as you enter.  Bag a solid shade close to the bar. Don't forget to spend a few dollars at 'Grandma's" souvenir and clothing stalls, to your right on entry, before you leave.

Before grabbing the shuttle ($8.00 pp each way, kids are usually free) the adults should purchase a bottle of local rum for the beach.  About $10/12 as drinks at beaches are about $7.00 per shot.  Buy mixers at the beach with ice.

Thoughts about those versus Fryfes beach which I didn't realize was on that same stretch?

1 hour ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Thoughts about those versus Fryfes beach which I didn't realize was on that same stretch?

Fryfes in not on the same stretch of beach.

At the top end of Turners are JO's, OJ's and Rum Bus.

But as a comparison, and with thoughts to parents with young children.

At Turners the toilets and showers are to the rear of the bar/restaurant about 30 feet from your static umbrellas.  Fryfes toilets are about 120 yards away from the beach, and don't think there are showers.

And if it rains, and it can in Antigua during the afternoon, Turners bar has pleanty of seats/tables and bar space under cover.  Fryfes does not have a large area under cover.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:58 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Excellent suggestion, excellent advice, buy a bottle of local rum for your day on TURNER'S Beach and mix your own drinks. That's brilliant.

I was on Turner's in December, did not know to take my own bottle really wish I had. That won't happen again. 

Port Royal I wish I had asked you about that, I got stuck on a tour bus with little or no alcohol, great tour just not much to drink, then we got to Turner's and drink's were close to $10 a pop, like I said that'll never happen. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Excellent suggestion, excellent advice, buy a bottle of local rum for your day on TURNER'S Beach and mix your own drinks. That's brilliant.

I was on Turner's in December, did not know to take my own bottle really wish I had. That won't happen again. 

Port Royal I wish I had asked you about that, I got stuck on a tour bus with little or no alcohol, great tour just not much to drink, then we got to Turner's and drink's were close to $10 a pop, like I said that'll never happen. 

Or make a bottle of Cavalier Rum Punch the mixer, to go with a 5 year old rum or younger.  5 year old (or younger) goes well on the beach.

Another idea, mix approx. equal measures of gold and white rum in a glass with a couple of ice cubes.  This also goes well on the beach.

Local Rum to the island must be taken to the beach.

34 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Or make a bottle of Cavalier Rum Punch the mixer, to go with a 5 year old rum or younger.  5 year old (or younger) goes well on the beach.

Another idea, mix approx. equal measures of gold and white rum in a glass with a couple of ice cubes.  This also goes well on the beach.

Local Rum to the island must be taken to the beach.

YUMMY!!! See I don't know things like this, that's genius.

Gold and white rum in a glass with a couple of ice cubes "on the beach" your killing me, that's thee only way to go.

5 year old rum or younger on the beach, I totally get that. YES!!!

Nobody ever told me except for you, "Local Rum to the island must be taken to the beach" good grief I wish I had known that much sooner. That's GREAT advice and I certainly hope others take it, because I am!!

Thanks Todd

4 hours ago, TTEllis said:

22 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Fryfes in not on the same stretch of beach.

At the top end of Turners are JO's, OJ's and Rum Bus.

But as a comparison, and with thoughts to parents with young children.

At Turners the toilets and showers are to the rear of the bar/restaurant about 30 feet from your static umbrellas.  Fryfes toilets are about 120 yards away from the beach, and don't think there are showers.

And if it rains, and it can in Antigua during the afternoon, Turners bar has pleanty of seats/tables and bar space under cover.  Fryfes does not have a large area under cover.

Port & Todd,

It seems like a lot of cruise tours go to Turner's or Fryfes and it appears Darkwood gets a lot of rave reviews on other sites. Any reason why you would suggest Turner's over Darkwood? $10 a drink are just like onboard prices, way too high. I like the suggestion to buy and mix our own.

36 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Port & Todd,

It seems like a lot of cruise tours go to Turner's or Fryfes and it appears Darkwood gets a lot of rave reviews on other sites. Any reason why you would suggest Turner's over Darkwood? $10 a drink are just like onboard prices, way too high. I like the suggestion to buy and mix our own.

37 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Hi Guys

The support for Turners was based solely on thoughts for children, because entry to the sea was gentler, toilets nearer and covered area.

Never visited Darkwood since it was developed,  so unable to comment.  But prior to development, when the current and waves were a little strong for children.  But then it was a beach, a few static umberellas, then a couple of single story huts, then a busy road.

4 hours ago, TTEllis said:

YUMMY!!! See I don't know things like this, that's genius.

Gold and white rum in a glass with a couple of ice cubes "on the beach" your killing me, that's thee only way to go.

5 year old rum or younger on the beach, I totally get that. YES!!!

Nobody ever told me except for you, "Local Rum to the island must be taken to the beach" good grief I wish I had known that much sooner. That's GREAT advice and I certainly hope others take it, because I am!!

Thanks Todd

Thank you for the positive feedback.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Port & Todd,

Turner's and Darkwood I have been to both of these, they are the exact same thing except Turners is at the end of the bay. From Turner's you can look up the beaches and see Darkwood about 5 beaches up, and about 3-4 miles north.  

Yes, Darkwood is nice I've always been a fan, it's just Turner's seems to be a bit more open, new bar and with it being on the end of the bay it's just nice down there. Plus I like the new bar and restaurant area. Beach and water are pure awesome Antigua.

Buy and mix your own cocktails like Port Royal said is THE ONLY WAY to do this, you'll go broke(I did) drinking all day at Turner's or Darkwood it doesn't matter.

When you get off the ship and walk into town as you walk off the pier, ON YOUR RIGHT is a liquor beverage store you can't miss it, very small quick in and out, good prices I bought beer I should have bought rum like Port Royal has suggested. I wasn't thinking imagine that.🙄

I'll finish this entry later. I have to run. Later Todd

MIX YOUR OWN DRINKS LIKE HE SAID!! Dont go broke like me. 

Ronaldo

If you've happened to have read some of my previous entries (posts) in reference to getting just a good drink on Antigua, you'll see that's it's not only genuinely discouraging, it's nothing short of silly. I just don't understand why on this island(Antigua) it's ALWAYS a problem. My last visit was NO different, I said when we got back last December, from now on I was going to start mixing my own drink's and bringing my own beer or liquor. 

After the suggestions by Port Royal in reference to:

Buying rum 5 years or younger because it goes well on the beach, I call that brilliant.

Mixing equal measures of gold and white rum in a GLASS with a couple of ice cubes, gimme a break, that's it.

Local rum is a must on the beach. How nice is that!!

This is not only a simple math issue, it's also peace of mind and not having to worry about where you're getting your next crummy $10 drink, it's pathetic.

Bottle of 5 years or younger rum $12 for THE WHOLE BOTTLE, do exactly  what Port Royal said, buy 2 gold and white, ok your up to around $25 or so, that's it. 

Go to the Dollar Tree and get yourself and your party a half a dozen or so short clear drink glasses(or heavy clear plastic) and set them down in your backpack. I do this with plastic cups, but I'm not drinking good local rum out of a plastic cup that's for beer, I'm doing EXACTLY what Port Royal said I'm dropping a couple of ice cubes in a clear drink glass so I can SIP local rum all day long on the beach. That's it.

Ok so now your up to around $30-ish or so.

I know this sounds like a pain the ass, but I'd buy my own bag of ice, especially with party of folks like you have. It won't last long, it's the islands remember. Beat's going to the bar and asking for ice all day long. Your still easily under $50, easily. 

$50, I'm not sure I've EVER had a bar tab under $100 most are much more than that. 

Do this, go straight to Turners and spend your AWESOME day on THAT beach. Your set, I would certainly buy something to nibble on so by around 1pm your not blistered in more ways than one. Me, I get on the beach, on the liquid diet all day long, I have so much fun just being on the beach drinking, food NEVER enters my mind SO by the time I get back on the bus I'm absolutely COOKED. Please don't do that. Go have fun and enjoy your day with your family and SIP local 5 years or younger rum all day long on Turners, just like Port Royal has suggested, THAT'S a NICE day on Antigua. It's the only way to go.

Now go have fun and have a nice vacation. Take care Todd

• Like 1

Also use this Rum protocol for every Caribbean Island except any French Island, where it becomes a Rhum protocol.

This way one gets the true taste of "The Island".

My action for any amount left in the bottle is to donate it to the oldest local person on the beach.  This way the Rum/Rhum stays on the island and gives a local a smile.

21 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Also use this Rum protocol for every Caribbean Island except any French Island, where it becomes a Rhum protocol.

This way one gets the true taste of "The Island".

My action for any amount left in the bottle is to donate it to the oldest local person on the beach.  This way the Rum/Rhum stays on the island and gives a local a smile.

Excellent protocol!! I will absolutely remember that on my next visit. Thank you.

• 4 months later...

Another suggestion if you're spending the day here off of a cruise ship. Pack a small, collapsible soft cooler from home and have your room steward add ice prior to getting off the ship. Also, "borrow" a couple of plastic cups from the buffet (just return them when you return). Use the cooler as a carry on as you fly to and from the embarkation port.

9 hours ago, Nittlion said:

Another suggestion if you're spending the day here off of a cruise ship. Pack a small, collapsible soft cooler from home and have your room steward add ice prior to getting off the ship. Also, "borrow" a couple of plastic cups from the buffet (just return them when you return). Use the cooler as a carry on as you fly to and from the embarkation port.

Small collapsible cooler is a must, it's the only way to go especially on Antigua. BYOB on Antigua or go broke.  Saves major cash. Great suggestion!!

20 hours ago, Nittlion said:

Or a full ice bucket from your stateroom, placed inside your beach bag along with the towels and sunscreen.

Rum addendum.  The quayside stores in Antigua sell Rum in quarter and half bottles to pour over the ice which has the Ship's drinking water quality provenance.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Addendum

21 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Or a full ice bucket from your stateroom, placed inside your beach bag along with the towels and sunscreen.

Rum addendum.  The quayside stores in Antigua sell Rum in quarter and half bottles to pour over the ice which has the Ship's drinking water quality provenance.

Yummy another great suggestion, Thanks Port Royal I still love you. Todd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I agree..still undecided on beach...Darkwood was great last year, but wife wants more gentle entry with less drop off....we always have a few beers at the beach, but go to swim..and still looking for advice..anyone been to Jolly Beach

Finding reliable information about gradual water entry vs sharp-drop off at Antigua beaches THIS WINTER (compared t experience in previous seasons)  has been a challenge on this board.

Only thing I can report with certainity is that Turners has huge drop off this season (followed by a sandbar and then larger drop off). Currents were very strong. And swimming in shallow waters was very diffcult compared to 5-6 feet deep water. This is from very recent experience (there was no storm)

Found this board while looking for beach suggestions for our cruise next month.  I have to say --- THIS IS THE MOST SPIRITED BOARD I'VE EVER READ!  LOVE the ideas for BYOB and NOW I'm super excited for this cruise!  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!