Golden Princess Alaska July 6, 2019

sfrieman

MDRs will open at 5:00 or 5:15. Whomever is on board will be seated whether booked for early, late or ATD.

Doors will close when rooms are full (around 15-30 min later)

Muster Drill will be 7:30 or 7:45.

When drill is finished MDRs will reopen, seating all who weren't there earlier again regardless of schedule.

They won't call it "open seating/ATD for all" because of the need to close for the drill. But that is how it is done, mainly to accommodate those on pre-cruise tours who don't arrive in time for their early seating. In your case if the train arrives at 5:30 it is extremely unlikely you will be able to check in and board in time for the pre-drill seating.

There have been reports in the past of "assigning" early or late for that night only when you check in. Didn't happen when I embarked Golden in Whittier last year. I believe they only do so on the smaller ships with fewer than three MDRs.

...and if you were just asking about "eating" in general rather than specifically dinner in the MDR: there is always the buffet, outdoor grill or international cafe. All of which will shut down just before the start of muster and reopen after.

Edited by fishywood
  • Like 1

Good description by fishywood. I'm traveling on the Golden Princess for the previous Southbound trip on June 22, will also let you know how it went.

Edited by vicd1969

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that the first night dinner is pretty much "Anytime, Anyplace" Dining when leaving from Whittier. While we were normally assigned fixed dining at the Donatello MDR, we were told to report to the Canaletto MDR on the first night, though there was no set time apart from having to get there before 7 PM if you want to eat before the muster drill. You can always dine after the drill. The dress code is also much more relaxed, you can wear shorts in the first night. I was actually pretty impressed that the food arrived pretty quickly that first night.

Edited by vicd1969

We arrived on the train from Denali (what an fun/amazing trip).  No way we would have had enough time to eat before the muster drill.  We dined afterwards.  

I believe we arrived near 6:30 PM and we were not the last train.