Key West instead of Havana

patty1955

There were no options in the email I received. It was titled "Your Havana After Dark booking is confirmed." and looked exactly like the email when I first booked only the ports were changed. The email address on their website doesn't work either.

Hey all. My wife and I really wanted to go to Cuba so when the email said "If for any reason, you find that this change just doesn’t work with your personal plans, we completely understand. " I decided to call and cancel and see if I could get my deposit back. At first I was asked why I didn't want to go on the new trip....then I was told I would get my deposit as a credit....then I asked nicely if I could just get the money back. I'd rather not cruise in the end if its just to Key West or whatever. And they said that was fine. I got an email from Virgin saying I'm getting $20 back. Soooooo.....we'll see how this all shakes out. 

Second chat verified that I'd get a full refund. She said the email is an automatic one and I'd get one that shows the $400 when they issue the refund (7 to 10 business days.) I took a screen shot of both chats

I was told via chat that full refund would be issued, but must cancel by 10 July. 

As for "special pricing adjustment" referenced in the email, my revised confirmation didn't include any price drop, but for $30 in taxes.  Agent escalated as to why and advised each voyage would be issued a different adjustment.  They weren't able to tell me what the actual amount is / will be.  

2 minutes ago, B747Purdue said:

I was told via chat that full refund would be issued, but must cancel by 10 July. 

As for "special pricing adjustment" referenced in the email, my revised confirmation didn't include any price drop, but for $30 in taxes.  Agent escalated as to why and advised each voyage would be issued a different adjustment.  They weren't able to tell me what the actual amount is / will be.  

I was told on the chat that I had 30 days to decide, so 7/10. Interesting that we got completey different emails. Mine was a duplicate of my original booking confirmation (include the Havana After Dark name, the map with Cuba, etc) except the ports listed who Key West.

2 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I was told on the chat that I had 30 days to decide, so 7/10. Interesting that we got completey different emails. Mine was a duplicate of my original booking confirmation (include the Havana After Dark name, the map with Cuba, etc) except the ports listed who Key West.

I would assume different emails because mine is for Richard's Birthday Bash and it advises Richard will still be coming, etc.

We are changing to the 7 day cruise over Xmas. Price went up from $3495 to $3995 in the last hour unfortunately.

I asked the agent and she said it is filling up quickly with people booked to go to Havana.

Nothing was offered other than to exchange the cruise

15 minutes ago, Roneill76 said:

We are changing to the 7 day cruise over Xmas. Price went up from $3495 to $3995 in the last hour unfortunately.

I asked the agent and she said it is filling up quickly with people booked to go to Havana.

Nothing was offered other than to exchange the cruise

I'd be interested in a 7 day sailing, but not for the premium that comes with holiday sailings.  November or early December would be ideal, but it seems they aren't ready to release those yet.  Unfortunately, the wording of the press release makes it sound like these are the only two 7 day sailings planned for now, so cancelling seems increasingly likely.  My current reservation dropped by $150, but it still seems excessive for a 4 night non-Havana cruise.

I spoke to Virgin this morning and they advised a full refund of my deposit would be processed within 7-10 business days for the Havana after dark itinerary. I then received an e-mail advising I would receive a $70 refund. After calling again I was advised the e-mail was sent in error. It seems they are a bit overwhelmed with calls. Hopefully they process the full refund as promised.

3 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Sounds like the classic bait and switch to me.  If you don't read the fine print you are stuck. Shame on them.  

I’m booked on Richards Birthday Bash.  I have to say I’m very disappointed.  While I understand that Virgin can’t control this, I am disappointed that they send one email saying they’ve changed the port to Key West and will be offering special pricing only to get my revised itinerary and find the special pricing is only $66 cheaper.  There is a huge difference between going to Cuba for 2 days and Key West for 1.  For $3700 I can do a 4 Night/5 day cruise on any other line 3 times.  Other cruise lines are offering 20% discounts on 2020 bookings or on board credits.  $66 is passing the port tax savings into the consumer.  I’m also disappointed that the email had no info on canceling options. You have to call or chat and have to specifically ask or they’ll just tell you you can move your deposit to another booking.  As others in this thread have stated you have till 7/10 to cancel for full deposit refund!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruisevirgin75 said:

I’m booked on Richards Birthday Bash.  I have to say I’m very disappointed.  While I understand that Virgin can’t control this, I am disappointed that they send one email saying they’ve changed the port to Key West and will be offering special pricing only to get my revised itinerary and find the special pricing is only $66 cheaper.  There is a huge difference between going to Cuba for 2 days and Key West for 1.  For $3700 I can do a 4 Night/5 day cruise on any other line 3 times.  Other cruise lines are offering 20% discounts on 2020 bookings or on board credits.  $66 is passing the port tax savings into the consumer.  I’m also disappointed that the email had no info on canceling options. You have to call or chat and have to specifically ask or they’ll just tell you you can move your deposit to another booking.  As others in this thread have stated you have till 7/10 to cancel for full deposit refund!

Exactly the same situation and disappointment as you, especially when the website headline on Cuba says there will be compensation for the inconvenience.

Completely agree that passing the port tax saving on should be a given, not a goodwill gesture.

I asked this all be fed back, but there doesn’t seem to be anything else on offer to compensate for the value of the overnight in Havana being lost and I felt like they just wanted to cut the conversation off with me at this point... the customer service niceties seemed to dwindle when I pushed the point that they weren’t really offering the compensation advertised.

Edited by stitchcreek
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:48 AM, stitchcreek said:

The website implies there’ll be some compensation for the inconvenience... but sounds like there might be some chasing up to do on that!!

You are right. We had the 4 night to Cuba booked and were offered a $66 compensation. It took them a week to offer this and Key West which we have visited 6 times.  Meanwhile, we made plans to change the other 2 cruises we had already booked to Cuba with Regent and Azamara who gave us wonderful incentives. 

When we called Virgin to cancel a little while ago, the rep tried to get us to switch to another voyage 3 times. Can't blame them, I suppose! He finally agreed to cancel. 

I’ve been a fan of VV’s proposed product, especially the adults-only part, but this one is a tough call for me. I have some fairly major bad associations with Key West (family stuff—some who still reside there), to the point that 1) I don’t even want to dock there, 2) I’d rather it was anything else, even Nassau.

I could switch to a nearby five night sailing (Mexico stuff, fine), but it drives the price past my comfort level, and I’d have to downgrade my cabin category, and I don’t want to do that either. Meanwhile, the thought of canceling and having the hefty deposit back in my hands for now is appealing. But ... I do still want to sail with them and I do believe the prices will go up. 

Alternate possibility ... I do suites when I’m with my husband, and cheap out when I sail alone. I could cancel the suite trip but move my deposit to a single inside cabin — which, for some sailings, that suite deposit alone would cover the entire fare for a single. The husband likes cruising and likes the suite perks (mostly the larger rooms and separate embark/disembark), but isn’t overly concerned with what ship we’re on.

Mostly just thinking out loud. Curious what other people are doing.

I'm a little sad my cruise is not going to Havana, but I like Key West pretty well... since I'm still in this more for the ship than anything I'm staying on.  Also, the time frame we are talking about (well over a year in my case) is so long they may be back to sailing to Havana by then, depending on actions taken by Cuba of Venezuela.  I'd be little sad not to get proper key lime pie but going back to Cuba would be OK as well.

In my case the refund was more like $200 (checked old payment due info v.s update), we have a suite.

7 hours ago, patty1955 said:

My refund just showed up on my credit card. At least they got that right.

Patty, good to hear that! We canceled our pre-deposit on the day that the itineraries were first released (after waiting over a year 'on the list'). When it was finally disclosed that there would be no 'trans-atlantic take-out cruise' -- at least not one for sale to the general public -- that was a deal-breaker for us. We DID briefly consider the Cuban itinerary, but a 5-niter was (again) a deal-breaker. NOT flying cross-country for anything less than a 7-night cruise! However, when we called to request our pre-deposit back, we were impressed by the polite, professional demeanor of the young lady we spoke with. Plus, getting our refund credited to our CC in even less time than anticipated.

Still like the ship, and would consider VV in the future -- but ONLY if they get their act together and offer some decent itineraries! Would you and Eric give them a second look, based on this particular experience?