Transfer from Rome airport to Civitavecchia cruise terminal

Sunlover013

HI everyone, I have a question about transfer from Rome airport to cruise terminal; we are booked on the Nieuw Statendam leaving on October 17th at 5 PM and our plane is scheduled to land at 9:05 am; we have booked a private transfer from the airport to the ship and from my research some sites are giving me up to 2:30 hours for the transfer and some other are mentioning roughly 1 hour for a private transfer... Am I giving myself enough time for this transfer.... Any assistance would be appreciated...… Thanks.

HI everyone, I have a question about transfer from Rome airport to cruise terminal; we are booked on the Nieuw Statendam leaving on October 17th at 5 PM and our plane is scheduled to land at 9:05 am; we have booked a private transfer from the airport to the ship and from my research some sites are giving me up to 2:30 hours for the transfer and some other are mentioning roughly 1 hour for a private transfer... Am I giving myself enough time for this transfer.... Any assistance would be appreciated...… Thanks.

We are also arriving on the 17th at 9:05 am from Toronto and are booked on the Nieuw Statendam.  We have a HAL transfer lined up that the TA arranged but she couldn't tell me how soon we would be leaving the airport.  She did say it could take up to 1.5 hours to get to the port, with traffic. I think that is enough time but of course there are always flight delays, etc.  My concern is how can I purchase the allowed bottle of wine when arriving as from searching online it appears I can't buy it at the airport on arrival.  It seems we may have to check our luggage at the terminal and then take a shuttle to the port town and walk 15-20 minutes there and back to purchase at a small shop.  

It seems we will be on the same plane since we are also leaving from Toronto. On the other hand we are not taking the shuttle bus since we have arranged a private transfer and got my flight using my points. This will be my first time in Rome and unfortunately I can not advised as far as buying wine. If you receive any other suggestion let me know. Happy travel.

If it’s not too late, I would strongly advise flying in a day or two early even if it means paying a change fee.   Planes are often delayed and IMO it’s worth arriving a day or two early to be safe as well as dump some of the jet lag.   Plus you will get to spend time In Rome.  No downside! 

Edited by bennybear

my memory of arriving in Rome by air was that it took us nearly a hour from landing to make our way out to the ground transports.  I think we had pre-arranged with www.airporttransfer.it and it took a bit of time to find them and for them to have a full van but it all worked.  And we didn't have to go through any clearing of authorities because we were arriving from a European flight.  I think if I were arriving the day of departure I'd look at getting a HAL transfer.  

As for getting wine, you can drop your bags at the port but not check in yet - take the port shuttle to town and walk from the shuttle stop... the shuttle drop off is maybe a 5 minute walk from the town's edge.  Carefully note your path so you can return easily, and ask where the return shuttle will stop because it was not the exact same place as the bus dropped us off, maybe 150 yards away, so not obvious and not marked well.  It is a big port and the terminals are not close to town.  There are shops at the edge of town not far from the shuttle area, at least one of them must sell wine.  Of course you must be checked in for your cruise 60 or maybe even 90 minutes before departure, but when checking in later in the day there should be no line.  You'll be carrying your carry-on luggage and your passports with you so do be very aware of your surroundings.  And you'll either need euros or credit card for your wine purchase.  In fact it might be a good opportunity to withdraw euros from a bankomat machine before you board.   

If you can purchase wine at the airport that would be easier, but it has to be carried onto the ship, not in checked luggage when you get to the porters/drop off location.  For me, I would not want to check luggage flying to Rome with wine in it, hope it makes it intact, then have to undo it all to put it in carry-on at check-in.  Neither would I choose to trudge to town and haul wine back to the ship along with my carry-ons before check-in.  Now, after check-in, and unencumbered, and after being revived by a good lunch, we would be very likely to shuttle to town for gelato!!!  have done that.... and it's much better than the gelato HAL sells.  But we all have our priorities 😉 .  Ciao ciao!  Maureen--

Let me be very clear that the actual driving time from FCO to the port of Civitavecchia will normally be a little less than 1 hour.   I am not saying this based on any site but on my own experience (we have done the trip many times with transfer services, taxis, and even our own rental car).   But also keep in mind that FCO can be a bit slow in getting the luggage off the aircraft.  We normally figure on 45 -60 min to get our luggage!  So perhaps some sites are trying to say that it might take 2 1/2 hours from your aircraft to the port.

Hank

On 6/11/2019 at 2:04 PM, *Miss G* said:

Buy it at the Duty Free before departure or pack it in your checked luggage in bubble wrap.

I did look online for Air Canada duty free and while they offer liquor, ice wine and champagne I did not see any red or white wine.  I will give them a call.  Thanks for the help!!

On 6/11/2019 at 2:06 PM, Sunlover013 said:

It seems we will be on the same plane since we are also leaving from Toronto. On the other hand we are not taking the shuttle bus since we have arranged a private transfer and got my flight using my points. This will be my first time in Rome and unfortunately I can not advised as far as buying wine. If you receive any other suggestion let me know. Happy travel.

I have looked at Air Canada's website for duty free purchases but they do not list wine just other liquors.  I am going to call them.  This will also  be my first time in Rome!!

On 6/11/2019 at 7:19 PM, RMLincoln said:

As for getting wine, you can drop your bags at the port but not check in yet - take the port shuttle to town and walk from the shuttle stop... the shuttle drop off is maybe a 5 minute walk from the town's edge.  Carefully note your path so you can return easily, and ask where the return shuttle will stop because it was not the exact same place as the bus dropped us off, maybe 150 yards away, so not obvious and not marked well.  It is a big port and the terminals are not close to town.  There are shops at the edge of town not far from the shuttle area, at least one of them must sell wine.  Of course you must be checked in for your cruise 60 or maybe even 90 minutes before departure, but when checking in later in the day there should be no line.  You'll be carrying your carry-on luggage and your passports with you so do be very aware of your surroundings.  And you'll either need euros or credit card for your wine purchase.  In fact it might be a good opportunity to withdraw euros from a bankomat machine before you board.   

If you can purchase wine at the airport that would be easier, but it has to be carried onto the ship, not in checked luggage when you get to the porters/drop off location.  For me, I would not want to check luggage flying to Rome with wine in it, hope it makes it intact, then have to undo it all to put it in carry-on at check-in.  Neither would I choose to trudge to town and haul wine back to the ship along with my carry-ons before check-in.  Now, after check-in, and unencumbered, and after being revived by a good lunch, we would be very likely to shuttle to town for gelato!!!  have done that.... and it's much better than the gelato HAL sells.  But we all have our priorities 😉 .  Ciao ciao!  Maureen--

Thanks for the tips!!  I also am afraid to put wine in my checked bag...especially red wine :).  Can't wait to try gelato in Italy!!

6 minutes ago, cruisin kath said:

I did look online for Air Canada duty free and while they offer liquor, ice wine and champagne I did not see any red or white wine.  I will give them a call.  Thanks for the help!!

Once you get through security, there is a huge duty free store where you can purchase wine before you board.  You are allowed to take that purchase on the plane as a carry on.

36 minutes ago, cruisin kath said:

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

Once you get through security, there is a huge duty free store where you can purchase wine before you board.  You are allowed to take that purchase on the plane as a carry on.

As Kazu says there is a Duty Free shop in the gate area.  Online it doesn’t list any wine selections but they do have them in the store.  Not a wide range of selections but they have them.

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the tip....I've only purchased duty free on the way home before!!

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

As Kazu says there is a Duty Free shop in the gate area.  Online it doesn’t list any wine selections but they do have them in the store.  Not a wide range of selections but they have them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 12:27 PM, Sunlover013 said:

Edited by novicruiser
This is an inadvertant copy of another post. I was attempting a reply

We are boarding on October 7th to do the back-to-back Adriatic and Med cruises.  We agree with the contributor who suggested arriving a day early.  We have booked a hotel in Civitavecchia for the night of the 6th of October.  We have, in the past, taken the train from  our digs in Rome (next to St Peter's) to Civitavecchia, but this year we will get over jet lag in that little town and take the hotel shuttle to the ship.  Italian rail is efficient and reasonable and you get to meet the locals and see the countryside!

45 minutes ago, novicruiser said:

We are boarding on October 7th to do the back-to-back Adriatic and Med cruises.  We agree with the contributor who suggested arriving a day early.  We have booked a hotel in Civitavecchia for the night of the 6th of October.  We have, in the past, taken the train from  our digs in Rome (next to St Peter's) to Civitavecchia, but this year we will get over jet lag in that little town and take the hotel shuttle to the ship.  Italian rail is efficient and reasonable and you get to meet the locals and see the countryside!

We did something similar for our recent cruise. Over the years we have probably done over a week in Rome and just did not feel like taking a shuttle into the city and then back out to the port in 48 hours. So we elected to stay in Civitavecchia for 2 nights. Rested up fine the first night and spent the next day just touring around the city and having some good Italian Food, including gelatto. 

Italian rail is efficient, as long as you don't get hit by a strike, which are hard to predict. We used a private transfer to get to the Port, the drive was only about 1 hour, but then again, we arrived on Easter Monday, when lots of stuff was closed and traffic was lighter. 

My second try - last time only showed a quote!

DH and I have have decided to skip Rome.  We are arriving on the 6th and will use public transport to Civitavecchia.  We booked the Hotel Traiano for the night and hope to wander around there the afternoon we arrive and the morning of our departure.  The folks in the hotel have been very helpful, and they offer a free shuttle to the ship.  Not sure how we'll spend the day between the two legs (we are on board until the 27th), but I'm sure we'll find something we want to do.  Really excited about this cruise.

8 hours ago, DaddyBubs said:

What are some sites for reliable transfer services from Airport in Rome to Civitavecchia? 

We are flying in on Air Canada from Toronto. 

Thank you!!

A lot of people on the board like Bob’s Limos.  Our transport was arranged by our hotel, so I can’t give you a review, but everyone gives them high marks.

You will also find these sites informative:

Port of Civitavecchia

Port Mobility Civitavecchia

11 hours ago, DaddyBubs said:

What are some sites for reliable transfer services from Airport in Rome to Civitavecchia? 

We are flying in on Air Canada from Toronto. 

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

A lot of people on the board like Bob’s Limos.  Our transport was arranged by our hotel, so I can’t give you a review, but everyone gives them high marks.

You will also find these sites informative:

Port of Civitavecchia

Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Just to add to Miss G’s excellent response - there is also Joe Banana Limo & Rome in Limo who are very reliable.