Cruise Ship Spas

Texas Tillie

20 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Canyon Ranch is on some lines, but as I don't patronize the spas, I couldn't tell you which lines.  but maybe Mr Google could help you...  EM

https://www.canyonranch.com/at-sea/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=170

The problem with the Cruise Critic article is that I know some of the ones listed are operated by Steiner, but the Steiner name is not mentioned in the article. One thing I think I know, if they use Elemis products, they are Steiner.

Edited by Texas Tillie

Whoever runs them, they are EXPENSIVE.  Locally I can get a wonderful full hour massage for $60 (not including tip) and on a ship 50 minute massages are more than twice that.  I usually do have some kind of treatment, though, when there is a special. It is usually on port days that they have good specials.

3 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Whoever runs them, they are EXPENSIVE.  Locally I can get a wonderful full hour massage for $60 (not including tip) and on a ship 50 minute massages are more than twice that.  I usually do have some kind of treatment, though, when there is a special. It is usually on port days that they have good specials.

See the thread here questioning the cost of sundries on the ships. Supply and demand. I was just curious as to which ships Steiner has the contract. They also don't charge the same on the various lines. I can guarantee you they charge more on Crystal for the same service as what they charge on Carnival. 

6 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

I agree completely.  If you are on a longer cruise and hitting beaches, you will need a good wax 🙂 The spas are really expensive. Usually I try to find some on the ports priors to going on the cruise, but if nothing is to be found, then the spa wax will have to do, expensive or not 🙂

On 6/12/2019 at 4:47 AM, LDVinNC said:

I agree to some extent. I use spas on cruises because I love steam rooms and saunas and to relax without kids and babies in swim diapers near me. In my eyes I'm on a trip and want to splurge if possible. I have only booked 1 massage on a cruise. I won a gift certificate on a cruise by doing the spa raffle, but it was more of a coupon tbh. You could only use it on port days and on selected services lol. It did bring the price down, but it wasn't worth it to me. Would rather pay extra just to use spa facilities instead of paying for spa services. I get why people will pay extra $$ for massages, facials, manicures/pedicures, and hair updos, but things like waxings, hair cuts, and hair color always seemed stupid to me. Maybe it's catered to people with more $$$ than me, or those who don't plan things well. 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:47 AM, LDVinNC said:

You find the same thing in hotels.

Partially, the hotel (cruise line) wants a cut of the money.

Plus, they can charge it and get it.

19 minutes ago, SRF said:

You find the same thing in hotels.

Partially, the hotel (cruise line) wants a cut of the money.

Plus, they can charge it and get it.

Yep. Same reason that most on board services - photographs, shore excursions, etc., - are expensive.  They all are 3rd party contracted and the cruise line gets a percentage of their revenue. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind