Cruise Critic Community
taclkc

helicopter dog sled excursion

We will be cruising with RCI and the helicopter dog sled excursion they use says it lands on Mendenhall Glacier. All the other sites that sell an excursion like this say they land on Herbert Glacier in the Juneau Icefield. Is one better than the other? 

I don't have an answer for you, but I'd like to follow this thread.  I'm looking at 3 different dog sled/helicopter excursions - 1 on Denver, one on Mendenhall and one on Norris.  I am also trying to determine if one glacier is better than another.

Each Glacier is different, and I don't know that one is necessarily "better" than another. The biggest determining factor for the excursion is the weather. Not only can weather literally make or break if the excursion goes, but a cloudy or misty condition will significantly limit the views. With all of the helicopter companies, the dogs and their humans (along with gear and supplies) are ferried via choppers up to the sled camp location at the beginning of the summer and stay there until end of season.

That said, I personally took the Coastal Helicopter tour (Dog Sled and extra glacier landing) in June 2014 with my adult son. Weather was iffy, but the tour went and we had a blast. Scenery was limited but to this day, Ryan still raves about riding in the Dog Sled whilst getting rained on and looking into the awesome crevices of the glacier on the extra landing. Coastal goes to Herbert Glacier.

It's a wonderful (albeit expensive) experience and I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the options!

Safe travels.

We took the Juneau Icefield helicopter trip and visited the dog camp. Worth every cent. The trip out there was spectacular enough...but the dog camp... Mendenall Glacier would be cheaper, as it's a lot closer.

100_0186.jpg

100_0202.jpg

100_0205.jpg

Edited by vozzie

According to a friend, the dog sled just goes in a circle.  Because of this, one of the members of our group doesn't feel it will be a worthwhile excursion.  However, I've not seen any negative reviews other than people wishing they had more time.  I think our travel companion was thinking it was dogsledding through trees and such.  However, I would not think that would be possible if you're wanting to be on snow vs dirt.  So, if you are just sledding on a flat surface, what is it like?  Is it a circle the size of a football field?  Is it more like the size of a horse racetrack?  I'm trying to envision it in hopes of convincing our travel companion.  I plan on doing the excursion whether our companions go or not.  Also, we are in Juneau from 2:30-11pm.  I am guessing that since it stays light outside longer, that still works for sledding?  Skagway we are there from 7am to 8:15pm.

3 hours ago, dmdiver said:

According to a friend, the dog sled just goes in a circle.  Because of this, one of the members of our group doesn't feel it will be a worthwhile excursion.  However, I've not seen any negative reviews other than people wishing they had more time.  I think our travel companion was thinking it was dogsledding through trees and such.  However, I would not think that would be possible if you're wanting to be on snow vs dirt.  So, if you are just sledding on a flat surface, what is it like?  Is it a circle the size of a football field?  Is it more like the size of a horse racetrack?

Here is a photo to give you an idea (part of the track is cut off but it’s a large track)

D2663475-520B-4D0C-B972-51A2816A867F.jpeg

Edited by PittsburghNative

We did the Helicopter/Dogsled/Mendenhall Glacier excursion.  It was a great experience.  You land at the dogsled camp and then do a loop that returns you to the camp.  You have time to meet the dogs.  You change positions on the sled so each gets a chance to sit up front, stand in the rear, etc.  IMG_0694.thumb.JPG.39190fdce9151cd347abb87c6769f9aa.JPGIMG_2408.thumb.JPG.09b7bceddf970d2c32501577dcf9e6e3.JPG672349526_dogsledding1(2).thumb.jpg.9411fedc1415738b1cf17c4483451afc.jpgdogsledbig.thumb.jpg.17a0e98a769f26ca563898a3df3746e3.jpgIMG_2398.thumb.JPG.750c2ed73b170811b5047252d1d83dbf.JPG

The "circle" that the dogs take is fairly large, as seen in one of the photos posted above. I don't think there are trees on any of the glaciers. It certainly isn't equivalent to what mushers do on the Iditarod or Yukon Quest, for sure. It is, however, a very unique experience and although expensive, a once in a lifetime adventure.

We did the Juneau Glacier Landing trip 2 weeks ago. Fabulous. Temsco Helicopters. 

CA0A210F-3DAA-488F-9265-63B2A4823415.jpeg

7D8DDF8C-7E7E-4DE1-8FBE-F017E9D4EB48.jpeg

2EB87F3A-C705-4E32-8BD8-5A5FF38DCCF3.jpeg

365545E6-34B7-47AD-9648-A34640547489.jpeg

D4F37063-4F83-4D5C-A1F3-608BE5DB9FD1.jpeg

Edited by Pushka