Driving day of cruise to NJ

janetz

Hi everyone

Crusing on the Anthem Jan 16th and we are debating Yankee Trails from Albany or just driving to port which from Western Ma is 3 hours

With Yankee trails, it seems after the cruise there is no where to wait for the bus back at 11 that is sheltered?

Also how easy a drive, does anyone know? 

Thanks ahead 😊

2 hours ago, janetz said:

Hi everyone

Crusing on the Anthem Jan 16th and we are debating Yankee Trails from Albany or just driving to port which from Western Ma is 3 hours

With Yankee trails, it seems after the cruise there is no where to wait for the bus back at 11 that is sheltered?

Also how easy a drive, does anyone know? 

Thanks ahead 😊

Where exactly in “Western Mass” are you coming from?  That could be anywhere from Worcester to Pittsfield. 2 people?

I’ve  been cruising from Cape Liberty in the winter for over 10 years.  I’ve tried every way to get there from the Boston area except flying.  I’ve driven, taken the cruise bus (no longer an option), and train.  I’ve parked at the port and offsite.  I’ve also gotten caught in snow events.  Having said all that, I learned early on to have a plan B for snow because missing the cruise due to weather is not an acceptable option for me.

In your situation I would seriously consider driving down the day before and booking a park/sleep/cruise through trinityreservations.com.  Unfortunately all their options for 2020 are not yet available.  The 2019 price for the Ramada is $240 tax included for 2 people for a hotel room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation.  Even if the price goes up, it’s a great deal.  If you tell me where you live, I can suggest a route through NY.

35 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree with Carol — especially in the winter, I would come in the day before, and keep my eye on the weather forecast before that. 

I even have a plan C which involves going 2 days early and crashing with relatives in Westchester County.  Recently I’ve been taking the train and getting a hotel room in Jersey City or NYC.  My cruises leave on the weekend and I’ve found hotel deals a year out for a little over $100.  I use accessible public transit to Bayonne and cab/Uber into the port.

• Like 2

I've done it from Albany, it's easy. If you're in a situation where you'd be coming to Albany to catch the bus, you're probably not far.  Keep an eye on the weather - if it looks clear (no snow), just drive down the day of.  Rain shouldn't be an issue.

When I sailed from there last year, I did self-disembark and was home by lunch.  I think I was one of the first through customs though.  Getting there - I left around 8 and was on board in Two70 by 12.

All this coming from an Upstate-er that doesn't think twice about dealing with the traffic at a NY ballpark and the surrounding roads so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks everyone

Carol, I was waiting for your reply

You always have the right answers 😊

We are in Pittsfield about 50 minutes from Albany.

Thinking maybe book a place in NJ and watch the weather. If it looks good, cancel that and bus down.

Our cruisemates prefer not to drive down.

17 minutes ago, janetz said:

Thanks everyone

Carol, I was waiting for your reply

You always have the right answers 😊

We are in Pittsfield about 50 minutes from Albany.

Thinking maybe book a place in NJ and watch the weather. If it looks good, cancel that and bus down.

Our cruisemates prefer not to drive down.

OK - so it sounds like you’re 4 adults so I assume port parking would be split.  Look around and book a cancellable room(s) now.  Embassy Suites, Country Inns, Courtyard Elizabeth, and Residence Inn are all on International Blvd near the Jersey Gardens Mall at Exit 13A. The Doubletree, the Ramada, Courtyard Elizabeth, Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inn, and Home2Suites are on the north side of the airport near Exit 14, which is the closest to the port.

They usually take very good care of the Turnpike in bad weather, so going from Exit 14 to 14A should be doable in bad weather.  I’ve done it from Country Inns at exit 13 and I’ve disembarked in heavy snow and made it down the turnpike to exit 8.  For the worst storm I was on the train and made it to Boston, but not to my house.  Thank god for Hotwire in a snowstorm!  Are you buying independent insurance?  I was covered for the trip interruption.

27 minutes ago, janetz said:

Carol,

Looking at the Ramada, at Newark airport, I do not options for park, sleep, cruise

is that just with Trinity?

The park sleep cruise is only with trinity and it’s not there yet for 2020.  If you book a park, sleep, cruise check the cancellation policy.  For 2019 I’m seeing a 1 day ahead at 12 noon cancellation policy.  You could book a room for 4 with trinity (2 double beds) and a separate room for 2 directly with the hotel, so you have the transportation for 4 if necessary.  I’ve personally used this package and was very happy with it

We are in Maryland and a little further than Western MA.  We drive morning of the cruise and parked at the terminal.  It was spring not winter.  Maybe plan to drive and watch the weather 10 days out with a backup plan if it looks like snow.