Three Adults in Balcony Room

PixieMom3

Sailing on Bliss to Alaska next year with sister and dad (all over 40). Is all three of us in one balcony room crazy? Don't like the idea of paying for a balcony for one person but also don't want to be uncomfortable. I've never sailed in an interior room and don't want to put dad in one but it's pricey for two balcony rooms. Priced one Haven room but that is still more than the two balcony rooms. Need to have my room near my dad's to keep an eye on him. Hoping to hear your thoughts on what would be the best option.

People do it all the time, sometimes with 4 adults. For some, it's not ideal. For others, it is necessary for a multitude of reasons.  We sail 3 in a cabin with our teen son who is 6'4" and it works out just fine. I say go for it.

• Like 2

We sail 3 in a balcony when taking my MIL along (she speaks no english so won't travel alone.) It's tight but we get by, having a balcony helps. We try to take turns getting ready, I'll go get a drink while they get ready & vice versa. We also designate shelves for each other for our clothes & everyone respects the others space. I think you'll be fine, just remember you're on a cruise so who cares about the room lol. Have fun!

• Like 1

I think 3 adults will be tight, but do-able.  In terms of showering and getting ready, there is always the option of using the gym locker room.  Maybe not the best solution but will work in a pinch and costs way less than booking a single occupancy room.

Personally I would do a balcony plus an inside (I've stayed in them many times and they're just fine) if it was in budget. I shared a mini suite with my parents in my late 20's on the Start to Alaska -- so it had a curtain between bed and couch which the newer ships don't. It was do'able, and I'd do it again for another free cruise, but it was not good. The sofa bed was incredibly uncomfortable, and it always felt squished in the cabin. I can share an inside with my Mom without feeling squished.

53 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

What about a mini suite.  The space is a bit larger with a sleeper sofa and a queen bed which can be separated into twins.

If I remember correctly, there is more drawer space and a larger bathroom.

No suite perks.

We travel a lot with 3 of us (all grown adults) in a balcony, but we have often upgraded to "mini suites" on the cruise lines that offer them when available.  The cabins are a little larger, thus a little more storage. Of course, we would prefer only 2 in the cabin, but like the OP says, the cost is double for the cabin containing only 1 pax.  It is definitely doable.

I did it on the Bliss with my mother and my daughter last year to Alaska. My daughter was 11 at the time but she is the size of an adult (5’4” and 110 lbs). She took the the coach which turns into a bed, which was just as comfortable as the regular beds. I am doing it again with three adult sized people in a cabin but I much prefer two. On the Bliss if you plan on spending a lot of time in your room I would not recommend it. It is tight. They do not convert the bed back into a coach or at least they did not in our room and it was really tight with the layout of the room. You could barely walk around and if someone was sitting at the desk/vanity you could not get out to the balcony (if you room has the coach by the doors and if your beds are by the doors I would imagine you would not be able to get by to the bathroom). There was not much space by the beds either and with it being in Alaska we barely had room for all our clothing. The closet was packed tight and we used every storage space we could find for clothing. We had three bags and they barely fit under the beds. 

Here are the pictures of our room one standing near the bathroom the other standing at the balcony to give you an idea about the rooms on the Bliss. 

34A0CE0A-C77D-4D36-A794-AB543F33A652.jpeg

CAA3F55A-D443-4564-BB53-511CCCF486B2.jpeg

Three adults in a balcony room is not that bad as long as you can share the bathroom. We did a small suite on the Pearl (SF) with three of us and it was crowded so when we did our next cruise we booked a 2bedroom suite and had just the right amount of room for 14 days. We found that spreading the total cost of the suite over all three of us was cheaper than the singles fare for an inside plus a balcony.

The Jewel class ships have these 2bed suites both in and out of the haven - the Bliss only has them inside the haven - but also on the Bliss, all suites have haven access.

8 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

People do it all the time, sometimes with 4 adults. For some, it's not ideal. For others, it is necessary for a multitude of reasons.  We sail 3 in a cabin with our teen son who is 6'4" and it works out just fine. I say go for it.

Ditto it is great for us too. No need for extra cabin.

Third person can sleep on sofa or loft bed. Room steward sets it up nightly, you choose the option. Nephew goes with loft. He can sleep In undisturbed.

Why not consider a balcony near the studio cabins and a studio?  The studio offers you the additional bed and shower/bathroom (well, kind of) but no single supplement cost for one person in a 2-person room.  Just ask about getting the balcony on 10, 11 or 12 and a balcony near a studio entrance on that deck. You might also be able to get guest services to either program your card to also open the balcony door or get you an additional card to get you (or whoever isn't staying in there) in.  I don't think it would work the other way (you and sister in the balcony and get access to help your dad in the studio cabin).

Like the idea of a studio cabin but when I looked into it was just over $2,000 with taxes and fees. We got the special where the 3rd person was free (except for taxes/fees). Not ideal but my sister and I also have the drink package. 🙂 

14 hours ago, Nola26 said:

Ditto it is great for us too. No need for extra cabin.

Third person can sleep on sofa or loft bed. Room steward sets it up nightly, you choose the option. Nephew goes with loft. He can sleep In undisturbed.

Since we book the cabins for 3, we've never had the pullman bed. Those are only in the cabins for 4. Sometimes they will put a party of 3 in a cabin made for 4, but that's not been our situation. Our son just sleeps on the couch, which he would probably do anyway.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:11 AM, PixieMom3 said:

Sailing on Bliss to Alaska next year with sister and dad (all over 40). Is all three of us in one balcony room crazy? Don't like the idea of paying for a balcony for one person but also don't want to be uncomfortable. I've never sailed in an interior room and don't want to put dad in one but it's pricey for two balcony rooms. Priced one Haven room but that is still more than the two balcony rooms. Need to have my room near my dad's to keep an eye on him. Hoping to hear your thoughts on what would be the best option.

I guess the real question is:  are you going to spend a lot of time in the room together?  If you just sleep there, you can do this.  I can easily room with three women in a cabin.  I won't have four women in a cabin again.  That made for some tense fighting for the mirror.  LOL You can do this with two women, one man.  Put dad nearest the bathroom for night time. 

Edited by LuckyStar
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

Since we book the cabins for 3, we've never had the pullman bed. Those are only in the cabins for 4. Sometimes they will put a party of 3 in a cabin made for 4, but that's not been our situation. Our son just sleeps on the couch, which he would probably do anyway.

You make a good point. If you can book the room for 4, that can be helpful if someone sleeps up. It leaves the sofa always available. Otherwise I would have the steward convert it back each morning. Also getting a cabin with the bed close to the balcony made it easier to maneuver in the cabin.

We actually had an inside on our recent Bliss cruise. It worked, but was tighter. My nephew summed it up well at the end. "Felt like I never spent any time in the room. " We really were there to sleep, shower and change. We are able to relax and socialize more in the balcony cabin. 

One of our issues traveling with a teen dude is laundry control. On the Bliss with our Inside cabin I gave him a laundry bag. He used it and it really helped us manage space and frustration. I did the same with my items. I made no effort to manage Mom's laundry. I know better. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, LrgPizza said:

Yep it is fine with 3 our teen daughter is 5' 11" and we are all fine in one balcony

We did it but made sure we booked a room with convenient access to a public bathroom.

In our case we just walked out the door, up the stairs and the public restroom was

right there. You wouldn't want to send your Dad out of course but if someone is showering

if necessary you could very easily run out for a minute.

We did 4 adults in an inside. It was tight, but 14 days in Alaska for $750 per person, would doit again.  Of course the other 3 people said never again!!!!  But then i am a sucker for a deal.