Pamwareham

Which one would you recommend for a post cruise 2 night stay

Would like to be able to walk to Little Italy and Gaslamp area

We like to have a buffet style breakfast in the hotel so here goes:-

Holiday Inn Express Downtown 7th Ave

Hotel Republic

Hotel Indigo

4 Points by Sheraton

I see there is a Curio Carte hotel (Hilton) due to open soon on West Ash Street too

Thanks

Same question with almost the same hotels yesterday!

I wonder if a UK travel agency is booking both of your cruises???

There will not be a free included buffet breakfast in any of those hotels except maybe the HI Express, not sure about that one.

You can always book a room and bkfst pkg on the other hotel web sites.

I don't know about the new Hilton as it is not there yet.

Downtown is small so you'd be able to walk between any of those hotels.

In one day/night though you probably won't eat at both Little Italy and the gaslamp. Little Italy is considered to have better more local restaurants.

Edited by riffatsea

Yes, it is rare in the USA to have breakfast included at most hotels, unlike Europe. I wouldn't make that my make-or-break in a decision where to stay. Most have a coffee shop/restaurant where you can purchase a breakfast (the buffet being the most expensive option usually). You can also walk to some good places to have breakfast in Little Italy and the Gaslamp. Harbor Breakfast in Little Italy is very good, as is Cafe 222, Brian's 24, or Richard Walker's.

The hotels you mention would also not be my first choice.

Holiday Inn Express Downtown 7th Ave is actually an uphill walk from the Gaslamp Quarter and Little Italy, and in a relatively iffy part of downtown. The same goes for the Four Points Sheraton-Downtown.

Hotel Republic is a fairly new rehab of an old building. Don't know of anyone who has stayed there, but it is fairly close to Little Italy.

Hotel Indigo is in the East Village, an area that is undergoing some redevelopment and upgrading, but not an area I would like to walk around at night. Good if you are planning on going to an event in nearby Petco Park (baseball, etc.) but that's it.  Several blocks east of the Gaslamp Quarter.

Look at the Hampton Inn-San Diego Downtown. As long as you get a room on the west side (away from the railroad tracks on the east side), it is a great location and just a block or two from Little Italy. It is also close to the Trolley (light rail) tracks which you can use to go further south to the Gaslamp Quarter, or north to Old Town. The Wyndam San Diego Bayside is also popular.

If you are determined to find a hotel with a breakfast buffet, you might want to go to the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay in the Marina District, next to Seaport Village and just a few blocks from the Gaslamp Quarter.

Edited by Splinter

Thank you so much for your helpful reply Splinter

Hampton Inns are always our first choice of hotel when we are in the USA

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any availability for the 30th and 31st March

We are in the USA (Virginia) in a couple of weeks so I plan to call them to see if we can get a room 

If we can't get in there we will probably go for the Hotel Republic or even the new Curio hotel

Pam

There must be something going on in downtown those days as our go to Hiltons are either sold out or $500 a night.  I see the Curio is $237 so I would book it.  That's a little distance to Gaslamp but trolley is easy or UBER.  Our first choices are Hilton Gaslamp (sold out) and Embassy Suites ($500) or Hilton Bay (sold out).  So at $237 for the Curio in the heart of Littly Italy that's a steal.  Our other fav is the Andaz but I haven't check the price.  It has a great roof top pool and bar along with a fantastic wine bar. 

You must do the walking tour of Gaslamp "Brothels, Bites, and Booze".  After 30 years going to SD we finally did it a few years ago and it's awesome.  Great way to kill two hours.    

I can't imagine anyone recommending the Hampton Inn (any Hampton Inn) over the Hotel Indigo.

Hotel Indigo would be my #2 on your list after the Hotel Republic, which isn't a "remodel of an old building", it is a rebranding of the Renaissance San Diego after an updating of the W San Diego. In short, a solid 4* hotel.

Other hotels I'd look at are the Intercontinental San Diego, SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Homewood Suites Bayside and maybe the new Hampton Inn Liberty Station.

Hyatt and I think Hilton hotels often offer a "Bed and Breakfast" package rate BUT the add on to the normal rack rate is around $30 pp.   Normally you can have a good breakfast in a nearby coffee shop OR even at the hotel for less than that...

Generally when there is lack of availability of hotels in the Marina and Gaslamp Quarter it is because a big convention or other event is going on in that area, as the SD Convention Center is nearby.

A small boutique hotel you might want to consider, in Little Italy, is Le Pensione.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:15 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

There must be something going on in downtown those days as our go to Hiltons are either sold out or $500 a night. 

I didn't see anything big on the SDCC Event Calendar. Maybe it's too far out (March 2020) to get the best hotel pricing.

Even if there was a big event, Downtown San Diego has soooooo many hotel rooms now (and more on the way), only a couple of shows a year will sell out the hotels.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in San Diego May 18, 2020 after a RC cruise. Looking for hotel recommendations near Little Italy and local microbreweries. Also, wondering about transportation from cruiseport to hotels and then from the hotel to airport the next day. We've spent a few days in San Diego a few years ago so we did the HOHO trolley- just need some microbrews for my hubby before flying back to the east coast.

1 hour ago, cardamon said:

I will be in San Diego May 18, 2020 after a RC cruise. Looking for hotel recommendations near Little Italy and local microbreweries. Also, wondering about transportation from cruiseport to hotels and then from the hotel to airport the next day. We've spent a few days in San Diego a few years ago so we did the HOHO trolley- just need some microbrews for my hubby before flying back to the east coast.

Since the airport, cruise port, and Little Italy are all close together, best bet is Uber/Lyft or hotel shuttle if they offer one.  I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood Suites combo on Pacific Hwy., as well as the Hampton Inn on the same street.  Both walking distance to Little Italy restaurants.

Don't know about microbrews.

Roz

5 hours ago, cardamon said:

I'd stay in Downtown, the Marina District (Hilton, Marriott Marquis or Grand Hyatt), Columbia (Intercontinental, SpringHill Suites & Residence Inn) or Little Italy (La Pensione, Homewood Suites and Best Western Plus) and then Uber to North Park for microbrews.

Area is very compact so I would UBER or Taxi.  We like Gaslamp over Little Italy, but that's just us.  Assuming you don't want to stay on Coronado Island.  The El Cordova is nice and of course if money is no object the Del is "nicer."  

• 2 weeks later...