Setting Sail on the Oosterdam July 28 for Alaska, anything I should know ahead?

kmoncky

I was on Oosterdam in May. You will have a wonderful time.

Lido Market Buffet opens a new station at around 10:00 pm every night with different kinds of foods. We had fun going up there late. Many cruise lines shut down their buffets at 9:00.

The bow is open to all at Hubbard Glacier. Nice atmosphere. All the way forward Deck 4?

The two women staffing the gym classes are quite good. Sign up for their free classes. 

Pinnscle Grill was quite good, and worth the upcharge.

Have fun!

If you like seafood, definitely go to Rudi's Sel de Mer!  It's one night only, but it was incredible and definitely worth the price!  Also, there is lunch offered at the Pinnacle Grill, which is a nice change from the buffet. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, Jammu2 said:

When did they allow passengers to board the ship in Seattle departure?  My dh and I will also be on the July 28 sailing.

Edited by mgetta3

Seattle port is quite efficient. We got to the port at around 11 and essentially walked on right to our cabins. I heard that there had been a short delay due to some late disembarkations.

Hello!

My mother and I will be on this cruise. This is my 9th time cruising and her 21st. All though we are well versed on cruising, I would like to know any tips for spotting whales. Where are the best spots on the ship? What ports have the best whale watching tours? 

Thank you

I will be disembarking the Oosterdam on the 28th.  I have been on the Oosterdam several times and am looking forward to returning .  This will be my 7th Alaska cruise with HAL....taking Daughter in law and Grand Daughter this time...leaving the husbands at home! 

My boarding time says 1 PM, others on my Roll Call had the same time...we are in and SY suite and I am 5*.  We have a pre cruise HAL hotel, so we will be transferred when they say.  I hope it is not late.  In the past we have arrived and boarded around noon.

The best place for whale watching is the Stephen's passage in Juneau.  The ship has plenty of outdoor space for scenery viewing.

Karen

Thank you for your response Karen. I will be keep an out for whales 24/7. What kind of whales frequent the area the most? Hoping for lots of orcas and smaller dolphins.

What makes you keep returning to HAL to do Alaskan cruises? What do you enjoy most?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 12:55 PM, Loreto said:

My boarding time says 1 PM, others on my Roll Call had the same time...we are in and SY suite and I am 5*.  We have a pre cruise HAL hotel, so we will be transferred when they say.  I hope it is not late.  In the past we have arrived and boarded around noon.

We are just off the Oosterdam 1 week ago.  You will have priority check in because of you are 5 star.  We did pre-cruise hotel and were picked up at 11:00 AM and arrived at the ship about 11:15 AM, practically walked onto the ship which would have been faster but had a bit of a delay with our carry on wine.  Even though I knew the drill with the wine it seemed to take forever to unpack the wine, get the little stickers put on, pay for it and then pack again.  It was probably noonish about then.  We walked right to our cabin and then to the Ocean Bar for a drink and to lunch.  A wonderful way to start a cruise. 

Enjoy your cruise!

On 6/12/2019 at 8:25 PM, kmoncky said:

Has anyone else done Alaska on the Oosterdam? Any tips? I'm a first time cruiser but am sailing with 3 other people who have been on multiples.

You will love your cruise.  Just off the Oosterdam one week ago today.  The Oosterdam is great and the itinerary is good.  Anything specific you would like to know?

On 6/15/2019 at 4:01 PM, xshutterbugx said:

Thank you for your response Karen. I will be keep an out for whales 24/7. What kind of whales frequent the area the most? Hoping for lots of orcas and smaller dolphins.

What makes you keep returning to HAL to do Alaskan cruises? What do you enjoy most?

Hi xshutterbugx,

Glad to help!  We love this itinerary because it goes to the Hubbard Glacier, which is spectacular.  Of the 6 times DH and I have been to Alaska with HAL, 4 of those were on the 14 day itinerary, which is now out of Vancouver.  The best place for whales is Icy Strait Point, but you will see them in Juneau/Stephens passage.  Alaska is so peaceful and unique for us.  Being from Southern California we love the cool temperatures and rain.  In 1922 my adventurous  grandmother sailed the inside passage on a small steam ship. I have her photos and think a lot of the scenery is still pristine, thanks to Alaska's strict environmental measures.

Our first Alaska cruise was on the Oosterdam and I know you will enjoy the experience!

Karen

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We are just off the Oosterdam 1 week ago.  You will have priority check in because of you are 5 star.  We did pre-cruise hotel and were picked up at 11:00 AM and arrived at the ship about 11:15 AM, practically walked onto the ship which would have been faster but had a bit of a delay with our carry on wine.  Even though I knew the drill with the wine it seemed to take forever to unpack the wine, get the little stickers put on, pay for it and then pack again.  It was probably noonish about then.  We walked right to our cabin and then to the Ocean Bar for a drink and to lunch.  A wonderful way to start a cruise. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info, Sharon!  We are at the Airport Hilton, so it will take a little longer to transfer to the pier.  I have stayed at the Seattle Sheraton with HAL. Great location.  Due to flight times we wouldn't have much time for Pike Market this time so I chose to stay at the airport.  I enjoy the priority check in line and hope we are on board quickly.  Tucson is a fascinating city!

Karen

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Enjoy your cruise!

Can you please clarify the wine issue.  I thought we were able to bring 2 bottles on for free but would pay corkage fee if we drank them outside our stateroom.  Do they charge a corkage fee when bringing any wine onboard?  This is our first HAL cruise.  Thanks for any information you can provide.

8 minutes ago, mom4mom said:

Can you please clarify the wine issue.  I thought we were able to bring 2 bottles on for free but would pay corkage fee if we drank them outside our stateroom.  Do they charge a corkage fee when bringing any wine onboard?  This is our first HAL cruise.  Thanks for any information you can provide.

You understand the policy correctly. They will put stickers on the bottles. If you bring on more than your two bottles per person, they will charge you the corkage fee and you then can consume those bottles too, even at restaurants on the ship. I will be on the July 7th Oosterdam sailing along with my daughter and 97 year old mother and my brother and sister in law. My husband will be dog sitting so I can stay with my mom and help her. She has always wanted to go to Alaska!

Edited by madera1

Just now, madera1 said:

You understand the policy correctly. They will put stickers on the bottles. If you bring on more than your two bottles per person, they will charge you the corkage fee and you then can consume those bottles too, even at restaurants on the ship.

I've never sailed on a ship that wouldn't confiscate the extra bottles.  Good to know they can be brought onboard as long as you are willing to pay the corkage fee.  Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Loreto said:

Thanks for the info, Sharon!  We are at the Airport Hilton, so it will take a little longer to transfer to the pier.  I have stayed at the Seattle Sheraton with HAL. Great location.  Due to flight times we wouldn't have much time for Pike Market this time so I chose to stay at the airport.  I enjoy the priority check in line and hope we are on board quickly.  Tucson is a fascinating city!

Karen

Yes, we were downtown so not far to the pier.  You will still get there early enough to enough lunch even coming from an airport hotel. 

Yes, I've lived in Tucson since '71....  practically a native.  We love it and love the heat, crazy but the pool has been cold so far this year.

5 hours ago, mom4mom said:

Yes, exactly correct.  Two bottles (one per person) per stateroom are yours to enjoy in your cabin and then you pay $18 per bottle for each additional bottle.  You can take those extra bottles to lunch or dinner, MDR or PG or even keep those bottles drink those in your cabin.  Our glich wasn't that.....  I knew that already, it was the time it took to process it all.  I was eager to board, the lines were short and here was my husband and the steward, unpacking wine from the carry on and talking about wine and putting stickers on bottles, signing stuff, then re-packing wine into our carry on and so forth.  I just wanted to get on that 'dam ship.

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 9:25 PM, kmoncky said:

Has anyone else done Alaska on the Oosterdam? Any tips? I'm a first time cruiser but am sailing with 3 other people who have been on multiples.

To help in your meal planning, here are your Oosterdam menus for the Lido Market and MDR:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-7-day-alaska-2019-menus

• Like 1