Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cruizen Susan

New to Princess--Grand Suite question

Recommended Posts

Hello cruise friends,

 

We will be taking our first Princess cruise to Alaska, August 24 on the Grand,  in a couple months.  We were lucky enough to snag the Grand Suite and I have a question or two.

 

I cannot find any pictures of the suite other than some youtube videos from 2015.   Does anyone know of any updated pics since the March 2019 refurbishment?

 

Or does anyone have any experiences in this suite or suggestions?   It's a special celebration year for us and we want to make the best of it.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Susan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The amenities for your suite are no different then any other suite. The perks are listed on the Princess web site along with a picture and the floor plan. The mornings are best because suites have breakfast in the specialty restaurant which is quiet and very catered too. 

 

Premium accommodations and luxurious appointments are the signature of our expansive 319 to 730-square-foot Suites. Suite staterooms include a spacious cabin and large 114 to 181-square-foot balcony, along with special suite-only benefits. All Suites include a separate seating area with a sofabed, walk-in closet, full bathroom and deluxe amenities.

These features and deluxe amenities are standard in a Suite stateroom:

  • Separate seating area with a sofa bed
  • Upgraded balcony furniture with room for four: two comfortable loungers, a table and two chairs
  • Complimentary mini-bar set-up
  • Walk-in closet with personal safe
  • Comfortable luxury pillow-top mattress
  • Twin beds that convert to a queen-size bed*  
  • 100% Egyptian cotton linens
  • Upgraded bathroom amenities and hair dryer
  • Two flat-panel satellite TVs
  • Evening bed turn-down, chocolates on your pillow
  • Refrigerator
  • Writing desk and phone
  • 110V, 60-cycle alternating current (AC) with standard U.S. plug fittings
  • Daily housekeeping service
  • Enhanced nightly turn-down service
  • A host of other benefits and amenities
Edited by cruzsnooze
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my photo's got confiscated in port after we tied up in Vancouver, otherwise I could give you some elaborate photos of the linens and Egyptian cotton bath robes 😈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Grand Suites on Grand Princess (L301 or L302) are unique in location and configuration relative to the rest of the fleet. They are the only suites on Princess with a fireplace (that is no longer wood burning) and hot tubs on the balcony (that have been there for 21 years and look it). I've not seen any further reports since the last drydock so maybe you will be pleasantly surprised by some refurbishment.

 

Note that when you click on the cabin on the deck plans this info comes up:

Special Notes:
QUEEN BED ONLY FIREPLACE HOT TUB

So an exception to the 'convertible twins' bed formation.

 

It appears that when Grand Princess--the first ship of her size and class for any cruise line--was designed it was felt that for the costliest suite on the ship being steps from the pool deck was preferable to the highly prized aft view. That lasted for just this one ship as the next one built (Golden Princess) has the Grand Suite at the stern (B748). Nearly 50% larger with those wake views--but no fireplace or balcony hot tub. So enjoy the latter on Grand Princess. 

Edited by fishywood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can share that we were lucky enough two years ago to get the Grand Suite for our Alaska cruise. It was amazing. First it’s hidden behind a separate entrance to the hall. You go through an outer door that leads to the door of your suite. It has a doorbell that on our cruise played the theme for Titanic. Once you walk in you are in a marble entryway that opens into your living room. To your left is a bar and the fireplace, to the right a dining area with a dining table and chairs. There is a full living room with sofa, coffee table, end tables, lamps and side chairs. There is also a flat screen TV in the living room. Off the living room is the large balcony which is all teak deck and chairs and table - no plastic. There is a spa tub to one side as well. In the master bedroom there is a door that leads out to the spa and on the side a floor to ceiling window looking out at the view. There is a huge closet in the master as well as another TV and in the bathroom there is a double sink area, jacuzzi tub, separate glass door shower and an enclosed bathroom area. 

 

It it was the most magnificent, luxurious and memorable experience we have had on any Princess Cruise. Having that suite in Alaska was magical - enjoying the view from our spa tub, laying in bed looking out that huge window, afternoon tea next to our cute little fireplace, fresh flowers, champagne, attentive service, dining room meals delivered to eat at our table or on the balcony, and having the ultimate balcony breakfast along with other good things from room service for our whole extended family as we gathered and spent the entire day in Glacier Bay enjoying the Suite life and our amazing views. I loved every second and all I can say is lucky you. Enjoy it fully!!!

Edited by karatemom2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite way to celebrate a big occasion on Princess is with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. You can find lots of descriptions of it in various threads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed in this suite for a 10 day Mexico cruise December 2018. As you’ll see from the pictures the balcony and tub are simply stunning. Just gorgeous. We used the tub daily. Loved the room as well. 

I have a 4 minute video of the room. It won’t let me post it here. I’ll figure out how to put it on you tube tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dining options available to full suite passengers:

Special mimosa breakfast for full suite passengers only.

Club Class dining, which is anytime dining. Walk into the Club Class DR anytime and most times you will be promptly seated.

Room Service from the full DR menu. If you are into room service ask your cabin steward for the DR menus after you board.

Comp. specialty dining on boarding day. The Grand has the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. Call the dining line once you board for a reservation, or if you are walking around the ship you can stop by in the afternoon. Menus can be found in your cruise personlizer under Specialty Dining. Do not book, just look. Booking requires payment at the time you book.

There will be information regarding all this in your cabin when you board.

Mini Bar. You will receive a mini bar set up in your cabin. Items can be exchanged by calling room service. The entire mini bar can be exchanged for 2 coffee packages, or a bottle of wine.

You can carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine/pp at no charge for use in your cabin. You can carry on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't be afraid to ask your room steward for amenities you are supposed to receive ... flowers, fruit, champagne upon arrival, pillow menu, slippers, other ... if they are not in your room

 

some things from room service - canapes may need to be ordered the day before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same day laundry is free. I send just a few things every day.  You can also get your shoes shined and DH suits & dress shirts pressed. Your steward should give you 2 free small bottles of water a day. Your bed sheets will be changed every evening. Do not be shy about asking for any perk that is not automatically given. Some stewards are more experienced than others but all have been quite accommodating and hard working. 

Our steward when we were in the Grand Suite was excellent. Our tubs and balcony were kept spotless as well as our room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had the Grand Suite on the Star for our Alaska cruise.   It was amazing.    We really enjoyed the privacy of our huge balcony while cruising the glaciers.      Breakfast every morning at Sabatini's and afternoon tea was a must.  You will love it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Karatemom2, geoherb, havedogwilltravel, skynight, voljeep and blazerjan for your informative and positive comments!!   We are only familiar with the Celebrity and NCL suite experience so we are really looking forward to a 10-day with Princess!   I really appreciate your enthusiastic responses!   Also,  while I enjoy aft cabins,  my DH prefers mid-ship, so this will be perfect!

 

Happy cruising!

 

Susan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I think I figured out how to post a video. 

 

Hey there ... 

Ahhhhh, nice room!!!  We are headed back on the Grand in January, we have one of the OV rooms right next to the grand suite.  I take it you didn't feel like this location was too noisy from above.  I checked it out last time we were onboard and it seemed ok.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

 

Hey there ... 

Ahhhhh, nice room!!!  We are headed back on the Grand in January, we have one of the OV rooms right next to the grand suite.  I take it you didn't feel like this location was too noisy from above.  I checked it out last time we were onboard and it seemed ok.  

 

Hi!  Yes the room was really so nice. Only noise from above was occasionally being able to faintly hear the music if we were on our balcony when they had live entertainment. 

 

We we loved being able to pop out and get to the grill and bar. 

 

We didn’t think we’d use the outdoor tub but found it was so relaxing to take a soak while having our morning coffee or even an afternoon cocktail. Reading and watching the sea. It was heavenly. At first I thought I’d feel too closed in by the walls and ceiling on the balcony but I really didn’t. In fact I came to love the privacy of it. First thing we said when the cruise was over is that we must book it again. 

 

There was was a little bit more motion than we are used to in our aft suites (or maybe it was a different type?) . Nothing extreme by any means. There was bit more “creaking” but nothing that bothered us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi!  Yes the room was really so nice. Only noise from above was occasionally being able to faintly hear the music if we were on our balcony when they had live entertainment. 

 

We we loved being able to pop out and get to the grill and bar. 

 

We didn’t think we’d use the outdoor tub but found it was so relaxing to take a soak while having our morning coffee or even an afternoon cocktail. Reading and watching the sea. It was heavenly. At first I thought I’d feel too closed in by the walls and ceiling on the balcony but I really didn’t. In fact I came to love the privacy of it. First thing we said when the cruise was over is that we must book it again. 

 

There was was a little bit more motion than we are used to in our aft suites (or maybe it was a different type?) . Nothing extreme by any means. There was bit more “creaking” but nothing that bothered us. 

 

Thanks again, HDWT,  for your very positive comments and experiences.   I was not concerned about the balcony walls and ceilings, but was just hoping that we would be able to view the Alaska sights easily!   Plus neither of us get motion sickness, so not concerned with motion.   I've noticed the creaking on older ships, but not bothered by it!

 

Susan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, which side  do your recommend, port or starboard?  We are looking at a one way from the San Francisco to Vancouver.  So I know port would be SF view and starboard  would be Alcatraz and  Sausalito, but what about Astoria and Vancouver? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi!  Yes the room was really so nice. Only noise from above was occasionally being able to faintly hear the music if we were on our balcony when they had live entertainment. 

 

We we loved being able to pop out and get to the grill and bar. 

 

We didn’t think we’d use the outdoor tub but found it was so relaxing to take a soak while having our morning coffee or even an afternoon cocktail. Reading and watching the sea. It was heavenly. At first I thought I’d feel too closed in by the walls and ceiling on the balcony but I really didn’t. In fact I came to love the privacy of it. First thing we said when the cruise was over is that we must book it again. 

 

There was was a little bit more motion than we are used to in our aft suites (or maybe it was a different type?) . Nothing extreme by any means. There was bit more “creaking” but nothing that bothered us. 

 

Good to know .... thanks!  And ... oh my goodness ... I would be using that hot tub at every turn.  I tried to take a bath in those tubs in the WS rooms and the water came out all rusty.  I look forward to that sailing next year in the OV right next door to where you were.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milolii said:

Thanks, which side  do your recommend, port or starboard?  We are looking at a one way from the San Francisco to Vancouver.  So I know port would be SF view and starboard  would be Alcatraz and  Sausalito, but what about Astoria and Vancouver? 

 

Astoria is on the river so what you won't see on the way in, you will see on the way out.  I think they usually cross the gorge early in the morning though so you if you want a view of the riverbank on the opposite side on your way out, you'd choose the starboard side.  You won't dock right there in town so you won't see a lot from the portside here when it is docked.  Town isn't much but it is a great port to visit.  

You'll be ok on either side when sailing into Vancouver under the Lion's Gate Bridge.  Six of one and half dozen of another for that port.  

And, personally, I think either side is great in SF, too.  It docks at an angled pier and you will sail out under the GG Bridge and have a extensive views all the way around as you sail away from the city.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Maybe it was quiet in Alaska, but on a Hawaii cruise, we could hear (what sounded like) a thundering herd of joggers on the Sun deck overhead in the early morning and bathtub ring in the outdoor tub.   I posted about the Princess Suite in the Cabin Review thread.  And you get a doorbell. Everything else is as posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am the one who posted our L301 Grand Suite on youtube in 2015.  I posted the videos because I could not find any photos or videos when I booked.

At that time the suite was in good condition and was kept sparkling clean.  Very private and quiet.  Excellent and attentive room steward.

We enjoyed Sabatini's for breakfast on sea days and a full hot in suite breakfast on port days and also our last morning.

As far as breakfast in the room, we asked for things on Sabatini's breakfast menu that were not listed on our order form.  They were delivered and served with a gracious smile.

The Princess Suite experience is not as opulent or all inclusive as Oceania, Celebrity or Norwegian (which we have experienced) but the Princess cost for travel in their suites is much less expensive.

We loved the Grand Suite layout and location.  We like having a separate bedroom and living area.  (We also like having two bathrooms which the Grand Suite does not have.)

The Grand Suite is very private.  Nobody can look down onto your balcony.  They also cannot look around the divider onto the balcony because the cabin next door does not have a balcony.  After we used the hot tub we would leave our beach towels on the hot tub and it was cleaned and ready for us to use again.

We also had some of the plaid blankets in the cabin to keep us warm on the balcony in the evening.

We enjoyed the ship and Princess Cruises in general and have booked another cruise on the Pacific Princess in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

I am the one who posted our L301 Grand Suite on youtube in 2015.  I posted the videos because I could not find any photos or videos when I booked.

At that time the suite was in good condition and was kept sparkling clean.  Very private and quiet.  Excellent and attentive room steward.

We enjoyed Sabatini's for breakfast on sea days and a full hot in suite breakfast on port days and also our last morning.

As far as breakfast in the room, we asked for things on Sabatini's breakfast menu that were not listed on our order form.  They were delivered and served with a gracious smile.

The Princess Suite experience is not as opulent or all inclusive as Oceania, Celebrity or Norwegian (which we have experienced) but the Princess cost for travel in their suites is much less expensive.

We loved the Grand Suite layout and location.  We like having a separate bedroom and living area.  (We also like having two bathrooms which the Grand Suite does not have.)

The Grand Suite is very private.  Nobody can look down onto your balcony.  They also cannot look around the divider onto the balcony because the cabin next door does not have a balcony.  After we used the hot tub we would leave our beach towels on the hot tub and it was cleaned and ready for us to use again.

We also had some of the plaid blankets in the cabin to keep us warm on the balcony in the evening.

We enjoyed the ship and Princess Cruises in general and have booked another cruise on the Pacific Princess in 2020.

 

Thank you!!  Love love love your comment!!   And I hear what you are saying about suites on other cruiselines.   I was surprised when the price of the largest suite on Princess was less than the smallest suite on X and NCL.   After some research,  it's because of the all inclusive nature of the "other" lines,  as well as separate Haven or Retreat exclusive areas and restaurants,  but I don't care, due to the significant price difference.   I am grateful for your sharing, it confirms my decision.

 

Susan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruisen'Susan said:

 

Thank you!!  Love love love your comment!!   And I hear what you are saying about suites on other cruiselines.   I was surprised when the price of the largest suite on Princess was less than the smallest suite on X and NCL.   After some research,  it's because of the all inclusive nature of the "other" lines,  as well as separate Haven or Retreat exclusive areas and restaurants,  but I don't care, due to the significant price difference.   I am grateful for your sharing, it confirms my decision.

 

Susan

 

 

 

While the suites on Princess may not offer the same amenities as on those other lines, the perks are still wonderful.  I loved breakfast in the Crown Grill in the morning ... very personalized and the maitre'd, waiters and chefs knew exactly what you wanted after day 1.  The club class dining was also a great perk of booking in a suite.  You may not have your own dining room but you may as well, as it feels like you do.  Although you share the dining area with the Club Class passengers, it's in its own section of the dining room with your own separate entrance where the wait time is very minimal if at all.  When they run out of tables, they simply snag one from the main dining area, indicated by a different tablecloth and napkins and very nice wine glasses ... Riedel style.  The head waiter is usually cooking a special dish for this section of the dining room as well ... usually very special, although others may not agree with that assessment.  But, we had a great experience when we dined there.  

One other thing to note is that you are escorted onto the ship when you arrive (once the ship has been cleared) if you choose.  It doesn't provide entrance into the Sanctuary or have reserved seating in the theater or things like that, but as others have said, they are oftentimes, much more affordable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We thought it was cool that L302 is the Grand Suite and L301 is the Princess Suite:

 

image.png.2ac5464f10e3ddb68390c3f889f0e12b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...