Cruise Critic Community
AndyMichelle

Any Aurora questions?

Morning all,

Very excited as boarding Aurora today.

As I am a nosey beggar, if anybody wants me to find out any info while on board, such as questions about cabin location or facilities, just ask.

I will be creeping around like Poirot...

This is our first time post refit, so interested to see how the changes are working.

Also our first time on an adult only ship, so keen to discover the demographic of our fellow passengers.

Lets hope the weather brightens up for sail away as looking forward to a Planters Punch up on deck.

Adios Amigos,

Andy

Have a great time!  We're on Aurora next month so will be very interested to hear what you think. We love the size - the tiered stern, separate cinema, Anderson's and the Crow's Nest and the Glass House.  Always somewhere pleasant to sit. Hope the weather improves for you.

5 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Have a great time!  We're on Aurora next month so will be very interested to hear what you think. We love the size - the tiered stern, separate cinema, Anderson's and the Crow's Nest and the Glass House.  Always somewhere pleasant to sit. Hope the weather improves for you.

Thank you.

It sounds like you appreciate the same things as us.

Really hoping they haven't removed the comfy seats in Andersons, our favourite place for a post dinner aperitif.

Andy

29 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you.

It sounds like you appreciate the same things as us.

Really hoping they haven't removed the comfy seats in Andersons, our favourite place for a post dinner aperitif.

Andy

That made me smile - I've developed a bit of a hip problem and the style of seat I sit on can be quite an issue.  The trend towards very deep seats and modern designs aren't always good news for me!   I'll be interested to hear what you make of the aforementioned Anderson's comfy seats also those in the Crow's Nest.  Enjoy that Planter's Punch later today.  😉

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

That made me smile - I've developed a bit of a hip problem and the style of seat I sit on can be quite an issue.  The trend towards very deep seats and modern designs aren't always good news for me!   I'll be interested to hear what you make of the aforementioned Anderson's comfy seats also those in the Crow's Nest.  Enjoy that Planter's Punch later today.  😉

That was my worry that I will end up in some fancy tub chair that I can't get out of.. I suppose there is worse places to be stuck😀

Andy

I am wondering if they have re-upholstered the theatre seating as some were very uncomfortable indeed!

Thanks and have a great cruise.

34 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I am wondering if they have re-upholstered the theatre seating as some were very uncomfortable indeed!

I will get my spy glass out and have a look.

Andy

10 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

Beware of the sofa as you enter Champions from the Art Gallery. You may get in but you won't get out.

Thank you for the warning.

Andy

Hi Andy, have a great cruise 😊

If you can manage it, can you please take photos of menus and the food. 

Love looking at cruise food 😋

Are you going to do a review when you get back.

Enjoy your time

18 minutes ago, cabin4three said:

Hi Andy, have a great cruise 😊

If you can manage it, can you please take photos of menus and the food. 

Love looking at cruise food 😋

Are you going to do a review when you get back.

Enjoy your time

Thank you.

We arrived at 1.15 and were on board within 15 minutes.

Cabin ready and luggage outside straight away.

Already visited the buffet, not the bun fight we get warned about on embarkation day.

Selection was lovely and limited myself to only 2 desserts...

Will post menus etc as and when I can.

Andy

Hols 4

Just got off Aurora this morning after 18 sunny days. There was a hold up getting off due to the dock and baging area flooding. The ship didn't look much different apart from New carpets in most areas and new seating in the bars and Raffles coffee bar which has more seating and a brighter carpet. The Curzon theatre hasn't been updated and the acts on this cruise were poor in my opinion.The food in Meridian restaurant was good and the service was quick.There have been a few comments about the captain's funny comments on this website,we and a lot of other passengers found him quite witty.

I don't know why we docked at El Farrel instead of nearby La Corona as it had very little to offer cheaper to dock there I expect.We still like Aurora but some of the Ports we called at were poor.

Hi Andy,hope your having a fantastic cruise,look forward to your review as my wife and I are on Aurora for 30 nights from 1st September,Steve.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on The Glass House, Andy. We're big fans of the concept and have enjoyed it on Ventura, Azura's and (especially) Britannia.

Hi are you calling at Vigo tomorrow and if so what do you plan to do there?  Only asking because we are on Aurora in August and stopping there but not too sure about the port and what to do as yet.  Thanks

Morning all,

In beautiful Santander today, this place is stunning when you get away from the port and weather is great.

Noticed a few differences on Aurora since the refit, still it's beautiful, creaking self.

A few new carpets, which I like, new toilets in cabins and large TVs, although the channels available are still rubbish...

I have changed my mind a bit on Neil Turnbull, he is much more laid back and personable than I found him previously, it might be because he is going home this week. His speech at the welcome party was the best entertainment we have seen so far...

The only negatives for us so far are the house band are very poor and the facilities on Aurora do not match the larger ships, but we knew that before we booked.

Food has been exceptional in the MDR and quite good with plenty of choice in the buffet, although we have only had breakfast and one lunch on arrival day.

Overall, if it continues like this, it will be a fantastic holiday.

Andy

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Morning all,

In beautiful Santander today, this place is stunning when you get away from the port and weather is great.

Noticed a few differences on Aurora since the refit, still it's beautiful, creaking self.

A few new carpets, which I like, new toilets in cabins and large TVs, although the channels available are still rubbish...

I have changed my mind a bit on Neil Turnbull, he is much more laid back and personable than I found him previously, it might be because he is going home this week. His speech at the welcome party was the best entertainment we have seen so far...

The only negatives for us so far are the house band are very poor and the facilities on Aurora do not match the larger ships, but we knew that before we booked.

Food has been exceptional in the MDR and quite good with plenty of choice in the buffet, although we have only had breakfast and one lunch on arrival day.

Overall, if it continues like this, it will be a fantastic holiday.

Andy

Thanks for the up-date...........awaiting further reports!    Enjoy Santander - glad the weather is good for you - still gloomy/threatening to rain again on the S Coast.  Where has our summer gone?   Still we are not in the terrible situation of those poor folk in Lincolnshire - so will rest content!  

On 14 June 2019 at 12:23 PM, Angel57 said:

Not sure if the theatre seating has been updated, but we found it fine for the duration of last night show.

Comfy enough with sufficient leg room, so no complaints here.

Andy

18 hours ago, alija1960 said:

Hi are you calling at Vigo tomorrow and if so what do you plan to do there?  Only asking because we are on Aurora in August and stopping there but not too sure about the port and what to do as yet.  Thanks

Not visiting Vigo, sorry.

Andy

20 hours ago, tom_uk said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on The Glass House, Andy. We're big fans of the concept and have enjoyed it on Ventura, Azura's and (especially) Britannia.

The GlassHouse is greatly improved since the refurb, much more welcoming and comfortable than before, more akin to Britannia set up.

Food and drink, as always, first class.

Best one we have tried so far.

Andy

Glad you enjoyed the Glass House, I look forward to seeing the refurb for myself.  If you happen to go to the other extra pay venues I would be interested in your views on them.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Glad you enjoyed the Glass House, I look forward to seeing the refurb for myself.  If you happen to go to the other extra pay venues I would be interested in your views on them.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Our dining companions went to Sindhu on the first night and haven't stopped talking about it, they say it was fantastic.

They also got a 30% discount and glass of bubbly for going first night.

Great for them, but left us as 2 on a table for eight, proper Billy no mates...

We are planning on trying the Beach House and Sindhu but are having great fun in the mdr now we are not alone, our dining companions are lovely. The food has been exceptional so far as well.

Andy

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our dining companions went to Sindhu on the first night and haven't stopped talking about it, they say it was fantastic.

They also got a 30% discount and glass of bubbly for going first night.

Great for them, but left us as 2 on a table for eight, proper Billy no mates...

We are planning on trying the Beach House and Sindhu but are having great fun in the mdr now we are not alone, our dining companions are lovely. The food has been exceptional so far as well.

Andy

All sounds lovely, glad you are enjoying the MDR and the whole cruise by the sounds of it. Nice to hear about positive experiences.

44 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

All sounds lovely, glad you are enjoying the MDR and the whole cruise by the sounds of it. Nice to hear about positive experiences.

There will always be little niggles with P&O, but overall it has been fantastic so far.

Just off for a cocktail on the tiered stern... Life is good.

Andy

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2019 at 6:23 PM, alija1960 said:

These days we tailor our visits to Vigo around our son so we take a short taxi or bus ride to the beach Praia de Samil. We also enjoy having a seafood lunch in Calle de las Ostras (Oyster Street).

Many cruisers write-off Vigo as a "rubbish" port and now that the port area has been redeveloped with bars, restaurants and a shopping mall lots of passengers will just get off the ship and go no further than that.

There are lots of guides online, this one is as good as any:

http://savvyguides.com/the-med/vigo/

Andy

Sorry for slightly hijacking your thread, I'm a big fan of Galicia and I hope you don't mind! I'm enjoying your postings and observations, Santander sounds lovely and I hope to visit there one day.

Have a great cruise!

All the best

Damian

Edited by DamianG