Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
jdemps

excursion cancellation policy?

Does anyone know where to find the carnival excursion cancellation policy?  If we have an excursion booked and we change our mind, is it possible to get a refund?  Thanks for your help.

As long as you cancel 24hrs before your excursion, you get a full refund.

Just to add to the above poster.  If you cancel before your cruise it will be refunded to the original form of payment.  If you cancel on the cruise it will be refunded to your onboard account.

I have cancelled excursions online on my account for a full refund.  It's very easy to do.  You just log on to your account, click on booking order and details, and then you can edit your purchases.

Thanks for asking this - I had assumed that once you booked it, you were locked in. 

Then again, we missed one once - looked at excursion ticket for the following day so was off by an hour - and they refunded me the money to my onboard account, so don't know why I'd think they were so rigid.

I agree, but here it is in official Carnival language.

https://www.carnival.com/legal/shore-excursions-terms.aspx

Shore Excursion Cancellation and Refund Policy 
Shore excursions may be cancelled by Carnival or the Tour Operator for any reason whatsoever. In the event of cancellation your sole recourse is a refund of the amount paid for the cancelled activity.

Excursions may be canceled or modified depending on the number of guests participating. Some excursions require a minimum number of guests to operate. If this minimum is not met, excursions may be cancelled by the Tour Operator and full refunds will be issued.

Sometimes the weather does not realize that our guests are on vacation and subsequently forgets to cooperate. It should be noted that excursions operate rain or shine. At times, tour operators will cancel particular excursions due to weather-related safety considerations. In this instance, refunds will be made for guests holding tickets on a cancelled excursion, and all efforts will be made to accommodate guests on an alternate excursion.

For online cancellations of excursions that occur before the cut-off window (24 hours prior to sailing), a full refund will automatically be posted to the credit card that was used to pay for the shore excursion order, regardless of whether the person who made the purchase is sailing. Please allow 7-10 business days for the credit to post to your account. No changes can be made after the cut-off window until sailing and must be approved by the Shore Excursion Manager onboard. For cancellations made once onboard, any refunds will be made to the Sail and Sign account of the order’s contact person, not the original credit card used to secure the online order. This condition applies even in the event that shore excursions were purchased as a gift by someone who is not sailing.

In the event of a cruise booking cancellation before the 24 hour cut-off window, a full refund will automatically be posted to the original credit card used to pay for the order. If the designated contact person on a shore excursion order must cancel their cruise booking and the remaining guests who are sailing would like to retain the shore excursion order, a new contact person needs to be assigned.  If a designated contact person cancels and does not reassign the responsibility, the associated shore excursion orders will automatically be cancelled and refunded.

Cancellations made once onboard are subject to a 25% cancellation charge. . A refund, less any applicable cancellation charges, will be applied to the designated contact person’s sail and sign account. Carnival will only offer shipboard credit for shore excursion order refunds, but note any credit not utilized by the end of your cruise will be refunded via check to the order’s designated contact person on the morning of debarkation.  However, within 24 hours of arrival in port where the shore excursion is to occur, orders become non-refundable.

Guests are encouraged to purchase Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection Plan to cover any eligible non-refundable shore excursion cancellation charges. 

Just to add on.  If you book excursions when Carnival is running a sale (10% etc.) and you buy 3 different excursions.

You can not just cancel one of them.  They call it a bundle packaged.  You have to cancel all 3 and rebook the 2 you want to keep. (of course without the 10% discount you originally got.

I just had to do this, family member's surprised us telling us they are going to be in Jamaica the same time we are and wanted to get to gather.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, Schoifmom said:

I agree, but here it is in official Carnival language.

https://www.carnival.com/legal/shore-excursions-terms.aspx

Shore Excursion Cancellation and Refund Policy 
Shore excursions may be cancelled by Carnival or the Tour Operator for any reason whatsoever. In the event of cancellation your sole recourse is a refund of the amount paid for the cancelled activity.

Excursions may be canceled or modified depending on the number of guests participating. Some excursions require a minimum number of guests to operate. If this minimum is not met, excursions may be cancelled by the Tour Operator and full refunds will be issued.

Sometimes the weather does not realize that our guests are on vacation and subsequently forgets to cooperate. It should be noted that excursions operate rain or shine. At times, tour operators will cancel particular excursions due to weather-related safety considerations. In this instance, refunds will be made for guests holding tickets on a cancelled excursion, and all efforts will be made to accommodate guests on an alternate excursion.

For online cancellations of excursions that occur before the cut-off window (24 hours prior to sailing), a full refund will automatically be posted to the credit card that was used to pay for the shore excursion order, regardless of whether the person who made the purchase is sailing. Please allow 7-10 business days for the credit to post to your account. No changes can be made after the cut-off window until sailing and must be approved by the Shore Excursion Manager onboard. For cancellations made once onboard, any refunds will be made to the Sail and Sign account of the order’s contact person, not the original credit card used to secure the online order. This condition applies even in the event that shore excursions were purchased as a gift by someone who is not sailing.

In the event of a cruise booking cancellation before the 24 hour cut-off window, a full refund will automatically be posted to the original credit card used to pay for the order. If the designated contact person on a shore excursion order must cancel their cruise booking and the remaining guests who are sailing would like to retain the shore excursion order, a new contact person needs to be assigned.  If a designated contact person cancels and does not reassign the responsibility, the associated shore excursion orders will automatically be cancelled and refunded.

Cancellations made once onboard are subject to a 25% cancellation charge. . A refund, less any applicable cancellation charges, will be applied to the designated contact person’s sail and sign account. Carnival will only offer shipboard credit for shore excursion order refunds, but note any credit not utilized by the end of your cruise will be refunded via check to the order’s designated contact person on the morning of debarkation.  However, within 24 hours of arrival in port where the shore excursion is to occur, orders become non-refundable.

Guests are encouraged to purchase Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection Plan to cover any eligible non-refundable shore excursion cancellation charges. 

Did you not read this, or do you agree with everyone except the person that said you get a full refund?

3 hours ago, cruise.new() said:

Did you not read this, or do you agree with everyone except the person that said you get a full refund?

That may be their written policy but I have gotten full refund onboard. What they seem to mean is that they have the option to charge a cancellation fee but usually do not.

If it’s anything like other cruise lines, there may be a chance of stricter cancellation requirements for certain types of excursions. These may include anything that requires private air transportation or unique experiences that are in high demand. If Carnival has this, expect to acknowledge this prior to booking.

18 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

That may be their written policy but I have gotten full refund onboard. What they seem to mean is that they have the option to charge a cancellation fee but usually do not.

I had thought that too, but when I read the T and C I thought they had changed it.

I did see that for some excursions there is a greater penalty, as xDisconnections said.

Thanks for your response!

Prior to a cruise, I made and cancelled reservations for excursions, couldn't make up my mind.  Never had a problem, refund on my cc was always pretty quick.  But this was all prior to the cruise

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cruise.new() said:

I had thought that too, but when I read the T and C I thought they had changed it.

I did see that for some excursions there is a greater penalty, as xDisconnections said.

Thanks for your response!

If you’re booking an excursion that will fly you to another country for an overnight with hotel accommodations or even to another continent, expect it to be non-refundable. If you’re booking an excursion that involves helicopter or chartered jet transportation, expect not to be able to cancel after a certain timeframe.

It’s simple — and excursions that won’t let you cancel will clearly state such. My dog sledding excursion required cancellation at least several days before in order to receive a refund. Princess has several that require cancellation at least 30 days prior to the cruise to receive a refund.

Regardless of cruise line, one should always pay close attention to cancellation guidelines as they can vary from excursion to excursion.

Edited by xDisconnections

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2019 at 7:36 PM, cruise.new() said:

Did you not read this?  You get a full refund if excursions are cancelled prior to 24 hours prior to sailing.  After that, there is a 25% penalty, but you can still cancel.  Perhaps you didn't really read the OP's question?  They just wanted to know IF they could cancel and get a refund.  Short answer is YES.

In the event of a cruise booking cancellation before the 24 hour cut-off window, a full refund will automatically be posted to the original credit card used to pay for the order.

Cancellations made once onboard are subject to a 25% cancellation charge. . A refund, less any applicable cancellation charges, will be applied to the designated contact person’s sail and sign account. 

Edited by Schoifmom

On 7/24/2019 at 10:17 AM, Schoifmom said:

Did you not read this?  You get a full refund if excursions are cancelled prior to 24 hours prior to sailing.  After that, there is a 25% penalty, but you can still cancel.  Perhaps you didn't really read the OP's question?  They just wanted to know IF they could cancel and get a refund.  Short answer is YES.

In the event of a cruise booking cancellation before the 24 hour cut-off window, a full refund will automatically be posted to the original credit card used to pay for the order.

Cancellations made once onboard are subject to a 25% cancellation charge. . A refund, less any applicable cancellation charges, will be applied to the designated contact person’s sail and sign account. 

I wasn't replying to OP I was replying to the person that agreed with all posts above them. Since one said full refund, to agree with all would be incorrect.

3 hours ago, cruise.new() said:

I wasn't replying to OP I was replying to the person that agreed with all posts above them. Since one said full refund, to agree with all would be incorrect.

You quoted ME, so I assume you were speaking to ME.  You DO get a full refund, if you cancel within the cancellation period.  If you want to split hairs on these boards, you will soon be bald.

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

You quoted ME, so I assume you were speaking to ME.  You DO get a full refund, if you cancel within the cancellation period.  If you want to split hairs on these boards, you will soon be bald.

But there is not always a penalty if you wait and cancel on board either. We have canceled the night before an excursion and not had a penalty. As said before, it may vary according to the specific excursion.

My hair is pretty thick so I can stand to lose a little. Lol