Concierge Class Shampoo/Conditioner

helenb

I just got notified that our moveup offer (minimum cost listed, said to be 'weak') to concierge class as accepted! Fortunately, our new cabin is in a good location and we're very happy. I was looking through the 'perks' of concierge class on this site:

https://www.icruise.com/cruise-lines/celebrity-cruises-concierge-class.html

It says that in concierge class, there are no wall dispensers for shampoo and conditioner, and that it actually comes in individual containers. Is this still the case on Edge, which prides itself on no one-time-use plastics?  Or do you have the wall dispensers even in concierge/aqua/suites?

Edited by helenb

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, during our cruise I discovered that the concierge staterooms on Edge have those awful 'communal' big bottles. No individual shampoo or conditioner. 😞

Sorry, I didn't see your post in time to warn you. Those big containers in the shower are irritating. In January the pump on our conditioner was already broken and the pumps don't have much clearance from the bottle when they do work.

Maybe they are replacing as they Edgify ships. That's what I'm hoping because my next Reflection cruise is before the Edgify.

12 hours ago, BettyCruiser said:

Sorry, I didn't see your post in time to warn you. Those big containers in the shower are irritating. In January the pump on our conditioner was already broken and the pumps don't have much clearance from the bottle when they do work.

Maybe they are replacing as they Edgify ships. That's what I'm hoping because my next Reflection cruise is before the Edgify.

The updated Summit had the large bottles in AQ class so I would guess the CC and below also have those.  They are in a rack in the shower leaving no room for putting in your own bottles, however that can be removed.  

We removed the shampoo giving me room for my shampoo & conditioner.  As reported the pumps don’t work very well.  With the bottle in the rack it is difficult to get to the pump and if you take the bottle out of the rack 1 hand is holding the large bottle while the other is trying to get the pump to work.  

Currently in a c2 on constellation.  The shampoo in that blue square bottle is awful....I suspect it is body wash in a small container, not shampoo.  Impossible to get a lather and it takes at least three large blobs to even cover your hair.  Note, I am a man with average hair....I can’t imagine what women must experience.  My DW always brings her own....and I advise you to do the same....or you will be making a purchase at your first port

Spent 35 days on the Silhouette in Europe this Spring. Cruises were great.  BUT The new Concierge Class shampoo is AWFUL - either like glue or watery depending on the bottle. And it doesn't suds up at all. The dark blue containers have a tiny hole to pour out the shampoo. Passengers have complained to the concierges.  (We have been on 29 Celebrity Cruises and never had to bring shampoo before, even DH hated the new so I purchased shampoo ashore and will bring it in the future) I don't know what LLP was thinking doing this particular  changeover.

Disappointing that Celebrity has replaced the toiletries on the ships.

We were on the Summit last July , BE ( before Edgeification) where we were supplied with Gilchrest and Somme  products in the dark blue tubes in the conceierge cabin. Our steward faithfully replaced the products everyday. The quality was very good.

To replace the toiletries in individual sizes to large bottles is not a good decision - IMHO.

The Princess ships installed dispensers of body wash and shampoo/conditioner combo a few years ago. 

I had a very difficult time trying to comb out my hair after using the shampoo mix.

At the next port I had to purchase shampoo and conditioner. I was not dealing with the offered product.

I understand about using large ,refillable dispensers for toiletries on a cruise ship as it is an environmentally sound measure.

However, the product itself should be of good quality.

I bring my own shampoo and conditioner with me, knowing that what is available is not good.

Perhaps this is a cost cutting motivation for a cruise line.

Passengers bring their own toiletries on board and save the use of the products that are offered on the ships,therefore saving on the cost of the products for the cruise line.😉

23 hours ago, Seahorse44 said:

Spent 35 days on the Silhouette in Europe this Spring. Cruises were great.  BUT The new Concierge Class shampoo is AWFUL - either like glue or watery depending on the bottle. And it doesn't suds up at all. The dark blue containers have a tiny hole to pour out the shampoo. Passengers have complained to the concierges.  (We have been on 29 Celebrity Cruises and never had to bring shampoo before, even DH hated the new so I purchased shampoo ashore and will bring it in the future) I don't know what LLP was thinking doing this particular  changeover.

I don't think she concerns herself with mundane issues like shampoo. If she does, she probably sees it as cost savings. 

• 1 month later...

It's definitely a cost savings. Hotels are doing this too. I have a lot of status in Bonvoy, and I am horrified to see their hotels slowly moving over to these  communal bottles. It's so cheap and un-classy, but they're doing it to save money. I expect this kind of cheapness in a Motel 6, but not in a nice hotel or on a nice cruise ship. And when people complain, they say that they're just being 'environmentally friendly'.

If they really wanted to be environmentally friendly, they could only provide the small bottles on request. They could also recycle the plastic of which the bottles are made. Or even use metal bottles like they do for the water. They're not searching out a better solution because they don't want to; this increases the bottom line and they can claim to be environmentally friendly. Yuck.

Okay, one of my new pet peeves.  We returned a few weeks ago from back-to-back 12 night cruises on Reflection. 

For various reasons, we were in three different class cabins over the 24 nights.  First, we were in a Concierge cabin for the first of the two cruises...then we switched to a standard veranda for the second leg--but it had some issues and, after a couple of nights,  they moved us to an Aqua Class...

In our first, Concierge, cabin, the toiletries we got were in little rectangular blue plastic bottles. On the back, they said made in Italy by Albatross.  The shampoo absolutely sucked.  Hard to squeeze the bottle, resulted in virtually no lather.  We wondered how this could possibly be the “upgraded” shampoo and toiletries??

When we moved to the standard veranda, we suddenly found Bulgari toiletries in our cabin—oh, so much better.  But, a couple of days of that and we were able to move to an Aqua cabin.  Again, we found those lousy Albatross toiletries.  My wife asked the cabin steward if we could get the Bulgari stuff instead...and was told, no, those were only for the suites!  But, then, he managed to get us some anyway...

I’ve always read that a benefit of Aqua or Concierge was getting a better class of shampoo and other toiletries.  But, clearly, at least on Reflection, they appear to be giving everyone the same BAD shampoo and toiletries.  Some suggested that it is by policy--the blue shampoo is low in sulfates, so better environmentally...thus the low amount of lather.

Of course, when you advertise that one of the benefits of Concierge or Aqua class cabins is that you get better toiletries, it makes no sense to take that away but still market it as a benefit.  There really are scant few benefits to a Concierge cabin as it is...