Boarding Pass and Onboard Identification

Rode Warrior

I am going on my first cruise in a few weeks. Someone told me to put my boarding pass in a plastic holder with a lanyard to wear around my neck, that I will need it for the whole cruise. Is this how I identify myself every time I re-board in ports? Will I use this when ordering drinks or other services? If yes, do I need the whole thing (4"x8") or can I just laminate the bar code?

Edited by Rode Warrior

If you are on Celebrity you will not need anything except you Key/Room Card.  All your account info is on there.  Its no bigger than a drivers license.  Some do keep them on a lanyard around there neck, many discussions on it but I just keep it in a key card holder.  On the ship don't need anything else, and you need that room key/card for getting on and off ship

• Like 1

You use you boarding pass when you check in. This is the last time you need it. They give you your door key, which acts as you ship ID and credit card. You can keep this in a lanyard. And carry it with you as you described..

Have fun.

The card you will receive before you board the ship is called "Seapass Card". This card unlocks your cabin door and is used anytime you make an onboard purchase. Security will scan your Seapass card whenever you get on or leave the ship. Some ports also will require you to show your Seapass card when you enter to embark the ship. Some ports also require a photo ID like a drivers' license. A few ports want to see your Passport, but that it relatively rare.  

As others have said, your boarding pass is needed the first day when you check in for your cruise and that is the end of it ... they then give you your SeaPass card that is same size as a credit card and this will be your everything for the duration of the cruise.

Getting off the ship at a port, back on the ship at a port, getting into your room, ordering a drink, making shop purchases on board ... people use the lanyard to put their SeaPass in so I think the 'someone' that mentioned using the plastic lanyard was meaning to use it for your SeaPass card which is handy when you don't have pockets.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by poffles

56 minutes ago, Orator said:

The card you will receive before you board the ship is called "Seapass Card". This card unlocks your cabin door and is used anytime you make an onboard purchase. Security will scan your Seapass card whenever you get on or leave the ship. Some ports also will require you to show your Seapass card when you enter to embark the ship. Some ports also require a photo ID like a drivers' license. A few ports want to see your Passport, but that it relatively rare.  

Most ports we have been to require your sea pass card and a photo ID like a drivers license or passport  for anyone over 16.   

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

I believe the OP is confusing the term "boarding pass."  OP:  What you print out at home is a "set sail pass."  This is what you use to check in at the start of the cruise, so might be considered a "boarding pass."  At that point you will turn over that piece of paper and in place of it you'll receive your "Seapass" card.  That's a credit card sized room key, that also serves as your charge card for drinks etc. It will also become your "boarding pass" for re-entering the ship at subsequent ports of call, although technically you have to use it to both leave and re-enter the ship so they can keep track of who's onboard and who's not.  (You may also need government issued photo ID to re-enter the port area at some ports of call (this would be prior to actually reboarding the ship), so take that along with you when you explore ports.) 

Some people put their Seapass in a clear plastic card holder attached to a lanyard to wear around their neck for convenience.  Some go to guest services to have a hold punched in it so they can attach the card directly to a lanyard, no clear plastic holder needed.  Others just carry it around in a pocket, or a wallet/purse.  Any of these options are fine.