Ketchikan salmon fishing excursion?

ouiswim

Solstice is offering a 5 and a half hour salmon fishing excursion in Ketchikan. Has anyone done it? We can't find any reviews so we are hesitant to book without knowing what we are getting into. Is it worth the cost? Catch anything? Food? Restrooms? Helpful crew? Our cruise is in a week. Thx.

3 hours ago, ouiswim said:

Solstice is offering a 5 and a half hour salmon fishing excursion in Ketchikan. Has anyone done it? We can't find any reviews so we are hesitant to book without knowing what we are getting into. Is it worth the cost? Catch anything? Food? Restrooms? Helpful crew? Our cruise is in a week. Thx.

You will be in the middle of King Salmon Season and just short of the Silver Season,  If you can get out of the bay for a few hours you should have pretty good luck for a couple of Kings... If the boat stays close to the bay you will have a nice boat ride with lot's of Eagle s to look at!!!  Enjoy the adventure...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mick70 said:

Was one the cruise 31 May -7 June and talked to someone who did this and they caught 18 salmon but none where keepers.

Thanks. I'm not sure what constitutes a keeper. I imagine it has to do with size.

There is a fishing tackle store on Creek street that rents fishing rods and sells licenses and gear. They have opened Ketchikan Creek to king salmon harvesting this year. Non-residents may keep 2 fish a day of any size. The surrounding bays are open for king salmon harvest, and non-residents may keep one a day over 28 inches. If they are in the bay, I have read that people catch them from shore and docks. If they are running up the creek, there is an area upstream (I have read) where you can fish. All this comes from my research; check the tackle shop to confirm regs. They do change. If you do not want to go for a charter, go ask at the tackle store. You may be able to get in some good fishing pretty cheap. A one-day license is $25 and a king salmon stamp is $15.