Getting around in Rome

Tkruise

We will need to get from the Colosseum to the Vatican at 5pm with time to eat some dinner and start a Vatican tour at 7:30. Should I just find a taxi? I've looked at bus routes and it just seems so confusing and probably not the quickest way to get there. How much should I expect that to cost? There are 3 adults. Any suggestion on places to eat near Vatican?

After our Vatican tour, we will need to get from the Vatican back to our hotel. Again, would a taxi be best? We are staying at Veneto Palace.

A taxi from the Colosseum area to the Vatican (presumably to the Museum entrance?) should cost around 15 euro (more or less, it will depend on traffic) for the three of you. Very reasonable and easy in my opinion -- especially if you are looking to fit in time for a meal.

The immediate vicinity of the Vatican isn't teeming with great eateries but you should surely be able to find somewhere to grab a quick bite.

Cabs can be limited when the evening Vatican tour ends. However, our guide was very helpful and called for taxis for those in the group wanting taxis. Or you can call +39 063570 for a cab or SMS +39 366 6630000 (make sure you identify pick up location). Either way make sure you get your reservation code for the driver. Keep in mind the fare on the cab starts on dispatch to you, but it's usually just a couple more euros-well worth it after a long day touring. 

Restaurants are not open to serve dinner at 5 PM, they would just be opening when your tour starts at 7:30, so you'll need to look for a "tavola calda" type of place that is open all afternoon into the early evening.  

There is a place called Bar Tavola Calda Fontana Angelica at 100 Borgo Pio, which is 750 meters/one half mile from the entrance to the Vatican Museums.  If you look at the address on google maps and go to street view the awing says "Cafeteria".  

They have a Facebook page here:  https://www.facebook.com/tavolacaldafontanangelica/

I'm not vouching for their food, I've not eaten there, but it is close and it is open when you need it to be.

Whatever you do, absolutely do not eat at a place called Caffe Vaticano across the street from the museums entrance.  There are hundreds of awful reviews and complaints about that place on line.  See here:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1089060-Reviews-Caffe_Vaticano-Rome_Lazio.html

Edited by euro cruiser