Volendam upsell offer email recieved!

mathed101

I received an upsell email yesterday, 6 days before we set sail on the 7 day Inside Passage to Alaska on the Volendam out of Vancouver.

We booked cabin HH7086 last June for $1299 and then added explore 4 for $200.  I was excited for this cabin since it was the next best thing to a verandah without the cost (~$2800 when I booked).  This is our first cruise on HAL and to Alaska.

I called the number and HAL offered an upgrade for $199 pp.  They gave me a choice of 3 different Vista Suites: A7054, B6225 & B6228.  The last two are handicap accessible.

We took B6225.  I think we did pretty good on the price overall.  What to you experienced HAL cruisers think?

Does anyone have experience with cabin 6225 or a Vista Suite in general?  I noticed it was over the dining room but hopefully that isn't a problem. There is also access to the aft deck on 6 which is a bonus.

Edited by mathed101
  • Like 1

Thank you all for responding!  It is good to know that the upsell was a good one, especially after seeing how the prices fall after final payment.  Although the Vistas didn't fall very much until a couple of weeks ago.

Considering that right now (if you were booking the 6/19 cruise as a new reservation w/ no perks) the fare difference between the lowest priced oceanview still available (category F) and a Category B Vista suite is roughly $800pp I'd say you got an Excellent deal !!!!!!!!

Looking at the same cruise next year w/ the Early Booking Bonus offer (Explore4) the difference between an HH and B is even greater at $1450pp !!!!

Congrats on an awesome upsell - enjoy your Vista Suite Balcony and the beautiful Volendam to Alaska :)

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Considering that right now (if you were booking the 6/19 cruise as a new reservation w/ no perks) the fare difference between the lowest priced oceanview still available (category F) and a Category B Vista suite is roughly $800pp I'd say you got an Excellent deal !!!!!!!!

Looking at the same cruise next year w/ the Early Booking Bonus offer (Explore4) the difference between an HH and B is even greater at $1450pp !!!!

Congrats on an awesome upsell - enjoy your Vista Suite Balcony and the beautiful Volendam to Alaska :)

My "rule of thumb is that any upsell that is 1/3rd or less of the current price difference is a good (or better) deal, so you won on that measurement.

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

My "rule of thumb is that any upsell that is 1/3rd or less of the current price difference is a good (or better) deal, so you won on that measurement.

Thank you for your rule of thumb.  I was not familiar with upselling a cruise so this is very good information and I hope that someone else that gets an email will use it too!  I am copying it into my advice/tips file and hoping that I get another chance to use it!!😉

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Congratulations on your upsell.

Have a fabulous cruise on the beautiful Volendam.

Thank you erewhon!  I am looking forward to experiencing the Volendam as everyone seems to really love this ship!

3 hours ago, mathed101 said:

Thank you erewhon!  I am looking forward to experiencing the Volendam as everyone seems to really love this ship!

Our first cruise was on Volendam, and several more since then,........great memories of sailing on her.

12 hours ago, mathed101 said:

Thank you for your rule of thumb.  I was not familiar with upselling a cruise so this is very good information and I hope that someone else that gets an email will use it too!  I am copying it into my advice/tips file and hoping that I get another chance to use it!!😉

Keep in mind that this "rule" has to be somewhat flexible.  For example, I am willing to pay more for an upsell on a R or S class ship (HAL's smaller ones) as there is a big difference in the Vista and Neptune cabins (like half the size)  On the larger HAL ships we normally book a Signature Suite and the difference in size is only maybe 25% less.  Also the type of cruise comes into play for me - if there are alot of cruise days, I might pay up a bit more for the larger cabin.  

Further, by having on idea of how well the upsell to cabins are selling helps me.  On a cruise 2 months ago I calculated that there were ALOT of Neptunes still open, so I expected (and got) a great deal of $99 from a Signature to a Neptune.

You did  great....   Now since this is your first Alaska cruise and you have a balcony... don'y be tempted to park yourself in it..... You need to really get out on deck to experience the 360 degrees  of view.   A balcony will at best give you 180.      Seeing the big picture is what is truly impressive.....   Good SailingDSC_0381.thumb.JPG.740ee3407c983c391d2b8e7ab9feb2fb.JPG

Great up sell as our up sell for a Vista Suite was $261!!!  We loved the larger cabin and it had lots of storage.  The Volendam was a wonderful ship....you will love it.  As much as you are tempted to stay in and enjoy your balcony, go out and enjoy the views 360 degrees as they are amazing.  Enjoy....it is an amazing cruise!

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Keep in mind that this "rule" has to be somewhat flexible.  For example, I am willing to pay more for an upsell on a R or S class ship (HAL's smaller ones) as there is a big difference in the Vista and Neptune cabins (like half the size)  On the larger HAL ships we normally book a Signature Suite and the difference in size is only maybe 25% less.  Also the type of cruise comes into play for me - if there are alot of cruise days, I might pay up a bit more for the larger cabin.  

Further, by having on idea of how well the upsell to cabins are selling helps me.  On a cruise 2 months ago I calculated that there were ALOT of Neptunes still open, so I expected (and got) a great deal of $99 from a Signature to a Neptune.

I will definitely be mindful of this information.  We hope all will go well on the Volendam leading to other cruises on HAL in the future.  The price point is good for us and so are the itineraries.

16 hours ago, erewhon said:

Our first cruise was on Volendam, and several more since then,........great memories of sailing on her.

This is so encouraging!!  I like the quote "Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer."  Great memories are so priceless.

8 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

You did  great....   Now since this is your first Alaska cruise and you have a balcony... don'y be tempted to park yourself in it..... You need to really get out on deck to experience the 360 degrees  of view.   A balcony will at best give you 180.      Seeing the big picture is what is truly impressive.....   Good Sailing

Thank you for the picture Hawaiidan!   I have already scoped out all the decks and cannot wait to be on the bow of the ship too.  

8 hours ago, cormike1 said:

Great up sell as our up sell for a Vista Suite was $261!!!  We loved the larger cabin and it had lots of storage.  The Volendam was a wonderful ship....you will love it.  As much as you are tempted to stay in and enjoy your balcony, go out and enjoy the views 360 degrees as they are amazing.  Enjoy....it is an amazing cruise!

Thanks for the info on your upsell Cormike1.  Sorry yours was higher but it is good to know that we were in the same ballpark.  We are definitely going to enjoy the larger cabin, the balcony, and the views.   What was your sailing date on the Volendam?  Your signature indicates 2019.  Any tips?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mathed101 said:

I will definitely be mindful of this information.  We hope all will go well on the Volendam leading to other cruises on HAL in the future.  The price point is good for us and so are the itineraries.

This is so encouraging!!  I like the quote "Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer."  Great memories are so priceless.

Thank you for the picture Hawaiidan!   I have already scoped out all the decks and cannot wait to be on the bow of the ship too.  

Thanks for the info on your upsell Cormike1.  Sorry yours was higher but it is good to know that we were in the same ballpark.  We are definitely going to enjoy the larger cabin, the balcony, and the views.   What was your sailing date on the Volendam?  Your signature indicates 2019.  Any tips?

We did a 7-day Vancouver return on May 22nd.  It was fantastic.  I would suggest you take the Tracy Arm Inlet and Glacier excursion right from the ship before sailing into Juneau.  It was amazing and well worth the price!  You get right off the ship to a smaller boat and off you go to spend hours sailing up the inlet and then you are taken back to the ship where it is docked in Juneau.  An amazing trip!

2 hours ago, cormike1 said:

We did a 7-day Vancouver return on May 22nd.  It was fantastic.  I would suggest you take the Tracy Arm Inlet and Glacier excursion right from the ship before sailing into Juneau.  It was amazing and well worth the price!  You get right off the ship to a smaller boat and off you go to spend hours sailing up the inlet and then you are taken back to the ship where it is docked in Juneau.  An amazing trip!

I would love to do that excursion!  Unfortunately by the time I heard about it we were already booked to do a whale watching tour with Jayleen's.  There's always next time.....😉

My first traditional cruise was on the Volendam -- she's a beauty!  I'm leaving in 16 days for my 3rd HAL cruise, and we've got a trip booked to Alaska next summer.

Sounds like you got a great upgrade.  Have a wonderful time!

Edited by jm485

• 8 months later...