'Echo-ing' Round the Med on the Shadow - June 2019

Master Echo

Well, here I am again in Monte Carlo, preparing to board a Silversea ship.  The previous occasion was in April 2017, when I was high in anticipation prior to embarking the inaugural sailing on the Muse.  This time, it is the Shadow and embarkation is on the 17th.

The itinerary for this adventure spans two sailings – Monte Carlo to Venice and Venice to Athens.  Whilst some of the ports are relatively unusual, inevitably some might be viewed as the usual suspects in this sector.  Even so, I have plans for new sightseeing in almost all.  After failing previously, I am looking forward especially to Slovenia, which will be a new country for me.

Whilst I am delighted that my friends MainsD and pm8718 from the UK and USA respectively will be with me, there is disappointment that my ‘dream team’ of Martin (HD) and Kirk (CD) either disembark on the 17th or have done so already.  It  appears that there will be a Meet & Mingle, as the required number has been reached.

Well, that’s all for now.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

Wishing y'all Fair Winds and Following Seas on your Shadow Med voyages Master Echo.

Strongly concur, Martin and Kirk serve Silversea exceptional well--Dougburns and I sincerely enjoyed their engaging, be almost everywhere style of ship leadership.  Kirk gave me an experienced based Singapore airport suggestions and passionately led almost daily dance classes.  Martin seamlessly assisted hooking me up with stellar Shadow crew for behind the scenes profiles.

Will send Cloud Expedition greetings to you from the Arctic (Rejkjvik to Tromso) next week.

Edited by WesW

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Have a wonderful cruise!

YES!!  Great locations, ports, history, scenic sights, etc., will be upcoming.  Look forward to reading these interesting details, etc.  Keep it the great sharing, especially for Slovenia. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 83,589 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

I'll echo everyone's sentiments and wish you a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Look forward to your usual high standard and witty commentary as you sail.

See if you can get some details of the refit planned, which I know is going to be extensive.

20 hours ago, rosepark said:

I have a horrid feeling Kirk is no longer part of the Silversea family. If that is so, it will be a blow. Perhaps Master Echo could enquire?

Rp

What makes you believe that, he’s on vacation at present and there’s nothing on his FB

Many thanks to above posters for their best wishes.

Calm seas and fair skies to Wes & Ida.  You will certainly be well travelled in that part of the world, taking into account your Norwegian cruise a couple of years ago.

Thank you for your suggestion RachelG.  This will, however be Sir and Madame's first visit to Slovenia and they have opted for a walking tour of Ljubljana, as the best option in the circumstances.

I will endeavour to do some sleuthing whilst on board but this will depend on the cooperation of the, as yet unidentified HD, CD and GRM.  I have also not forgotten the query from a different board about whether the Captain who was in charge of the Spirit when the accident occurred last December in Key West, is still with SS, as I believe I know his identity.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eastwoodboy said:

We got off Shadow last Monday and the CD was Allen King.

Great to hear that CD Allan King is keeping busy and having fun.  We have done three cruises with him and his jokes are a little corny.  BUT, super fun!!  Love his "Happy Soxes".  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 246,597 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are a couple views of Allan in action on the Silver Cloud, plus an example of his "Happy Soxes".:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

TC2_6161.jpg.27c2a54a9e89a023c0b8f228d1939062.jpg

1931372934_TC4_62872.jpg.8058eed1599da41ddf08768de97bbf03.jpg

Thanks Eastwood Boy and TLC Ohio 

herewith photo of the market in Ventimiglia Liguria, Sir and Madame took the international train across the border to the first Italian town and the uploaded experiment to see I had understood Silver Spectre's instructions correctly.  Oh the joys of shore based photo uploading where WIFi is not an issue!!

IMG_0683.JPG

• Like 1

Day 2 in Monaco

A nice catch up drink last night with MainsD and pm8718 before retiring early due to having been up since 5.30 am!

Today Sir & Madame caught the train that runs along the coast with spectacular views of the intimate bays between Monaco & Ventimiglia - the French name, or Vintimille to give it it’s correct Italian name.  This is the border town between France and Italy.  So in the space of a thirty minute train journey, you traverse three countries - Monaco, France and Italy, perhaps a unique experience in so short a time.  The cost of this international sortie for two seniors was an extravagant 13.60 Euros, so economies will have  to be made later in the holiday!

Just like the rest of the Cote D’Azur, day trippers alighted at each of the intermediate stations laden with beach furniture and cool boxes (eskies for any Australians reading this).  Being a Sunday Vintimille was quiet and ninety minutes exploration was sufficient for this fairly unprepossessing town.

Back on the train to Menton just across the border in France, Sir and Madame took a stroll along the promenade, before indulging in a coffee on the seafront for the princely sum of 4 Euros for two.  They really must start to economise!  Then it was back to the hotel balcony with a lovely view over the harbour.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

What makes you believe that, he’s on vacation at present and there’s nothing on his FB

I would be delighted to be wrong ,I thought I saw him mention something to the effect that he was expecting to be on land for a while but that may have been me putting 2+2 together and getting 196. Maths never was my strong point, but my ability to make up a back story is excellent!

Rp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

June 17 - day 1 of the cruise

The Lady Shadow looked beautiful and the Queen of all the vessels in the harbour.  The GRM came to meet Sir & Madame to effect the pre-arranged early embarkation.  This arrangement had been put in place because they had an engagement with a senior person from the Monaco office, possibly for morning coffee, but in the event for lunch.

A bonus from early embarkation was to see HD Martin prior to his disembarkation for a well deserved ten week vacation.  He will return to assist with the ship’s dry dock which is now probably scheduled to be done in Malta.

Captain Luigi will depart prior to our arrival on Venice and will be replaced by Captain Mino.

Preliminary figures give 374 passengers, so effectively a full ship, with a 100 in transit.  

Even with the ship virtually empty, the onboard WiFi is below snail’s pace.  More as and when connectivity permits and I can access CC!! 

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rosepark said:

I would be delighted to be wrong ,I thought I saw him mention something to the effect that he was expecting to be on land for a while but that may have been me putting 2+2 together and getting 196. Maths never was my strong point, but my ability to make up a back story is excellent!

Rp

Looks like you are correct RP, he has left SS. That's a real shame, first Vicki and now Kirk. SS needs to shape up and look after it's much loved CD's.