Specialty Dining Price Increase

zelker

It appears that HAL has very recently increased Canaletto from $15 to $19 pp and the Pinnacle Grill from $35 to $39 pp.  I just happened to notice this today on our Amsterdam July 29th cruise planner and also our Noordam October 13th cruise planner.  Someone on richwmn's current Amsterdam thread checked their other upcoming cruises and said that on the K'Dam the price for both of these restaurants indeed increased but was happy to note that Tamarind remains the same.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zelker said:

It appears that HAL has very recently increased Canaletto from $15 to $19 pp and the Pinnacle Grill from $35 to $39 pp.  I just happened to notice this today on our Amsterdam July 29th cruise planner and also our Noordam October 13th cruise planner.  Someone on richwmn's current Amsterdam thread checked their other upcoming cruises and said that on the K'Dam the price for both of these restaurants indeed increased but was happy to note that Tamarind remains the same.  

Just noticed it today when I went to the HAL website to book my Canaletto dinners for my next cruise (Incan Empires, Sep 23 - Oct 25).  For me, Canaletto is worth $19.  It’s my favorite specialty restaurant and they’ve recently modified the menu to introduce some new dishes I can’t wait to try!  

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Interestingly, I noticed that the dining package is $44 … with the new pricing for these two restaurants, that makes Canaletto only $5 more than booking PG by itself.  Wonder if their trying to drum up more business in Canaletto by this pricing strategy.  

Another reason not to go to Pinnacle unless you have two and a half hours to have mediocre service and like steaks cooked anyway but how you ordered it.

We enjoy Canaletto but it is very seldom full, in fact it is usually somewhat empty, not sure raising the price will help with that.

• Like 4

We were given a Pinnacle Grill lunch on K'dam as a Collector Cruise lunch.  There was no charge.  I still reckon we overpaid!

Last couple of cruises we have skipped Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto as we consider there food offerings to be poor to mediocre.

• Like 1

I have often wondered if Tamarind is a franchise.  The service and food quality is so different to the other ship locations, that I wonder if the same management/hotel team could possibly permit such differences of standards between restaurants.

Did I see where someone reported that the new Food and Beverage Director has come from NCL?  Recent observations of downgraded service coupled with elimination of items and increased prices has me wondering if HAL is focused on appealing to a different market.  And not in a good way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dfish said:

It is only $4.  When I compare that to the price of the cruise, it is affordable.

Perspective.....Ah yes    on one hand your upset by  a 3-4 dollar charge pp even at 7 days thats only $28...    But have no problem laying out hundreds a day in fare and services. !!!..... Seems a little  skewed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I have often wondered if Tamarind is a franchise.  The service and food quality is so different to the other ship locations, that I wonder if the same management/hotel team could possibly permit such differences of standards between restaurants.

From a pure culinary  base   Tamaraind  is  being cooked and served by natives of the region the cuisine comes from and have passion for.    Having a cook from Melanesia  preparing  french and Italian cuisine will never get the same cultural passion into it..   

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

The new prices are now reflected on HAL website when you pre book any PG or Canaletto reservation for upcoming cruises. More nickel and dimming by HAL , so what else is new.

To be fair, that is the choice you make, knowing that is what HAL is.       You have other choices  if you wanted to get away from nickel dime practices

15 hours ago, canadianbear said:

It was hard enough to convince my hubby before the increase to eat at the Pinnacle.  Sigh. Oh well.  

In our last HAL cruise we ate in the MDR as well as 2 nights in the Pinnacle Grill. I can honestly say that we found no difference in the quality of the food. Menu variety, a bit better in the Pinnacle but both venues were excellent.

• Like 3