Galveston ship replacing Liberty?

2 minutes ago, 39august said:

Any new information about this? Latest I heard was that an Oasis class ship would be deployed once the new terminal was finished. Supposed to be fall of 2001?

18 years ago? (Sorry couldn't resist)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, deepcman said:

Putting the Explorer there is like swapping 4 quarters for a dollar.

Actually, no.

Explorer of the Seas is a Voyager class ship and was built in 2000, making her 19 years old. She is also "first generation" Voyager class, and her balconies are part of the steel hull.  No balcony dividers that can be opened.  Somewhat "cave-like" balconies.  

Liberty of the Seas is a Freedom class ship, originally called Ultra-Voyager class - they are just stretched Voyager class ships.  But that length makes extra things possible.  And Liberty was built in 2007, making her 12 years old.  Balconies are on the outside of the hull, making them "true" balconies.  Lots of light, and most have a divider that can be opened, so that if you have adjacent balcony cabins, you can usually walk back and forth on the balconies.

• Like 1

Allure or Oasis 1 are the ships being considered by RCL for Galveston . RCL is building new high tech state of art terminal #3 . RCL will have ground lease,  and will fund and build the new terminal. Lease with options are for sixty years . Disney and Carnival also long term commitments with Galveston . Two of Carnival largest and newest ships are presently in Galveston . Disney lease allows  for expansion once Royal vacates terminal # 2 .  

RCL will also have expansion options next door to #3 for a terminal # 4 . 

But definitely a Oasis Class ship will be in Galveston along with another RCL ship . 

Oasis 5 could also be considered , 

for its build will be 

completed about the time of the new  terminal  . 

Time will tell . 

Enchantment and Adventure are doing shorter cruises and some different routes .

Edited by ssb

One of the Oasis Class. I would actually suggest Harmony as she will be in drydock in 2021 and likely spend the summer in Europe. Perfect timing for her to go to Galveston after the Europe season.

Adventure will probably do the 4/5/5 schedule as well. That said, I wonder what ship will pick up the NJ schedule.

The question is - where will Liberty be going? Maybe Fort Lauderdale with Indy going back to Southampton if the Brits want her back.

Edited by CruisingJoe09
  • Like 1

ssb,

Is the contract and such for Terminal 3 all signed off and in motion?  I've been waiting for some big announcement since last fall but keep hearing "in work" mostly.

Carnival has no issues with placing their new ships in Galveston, like Magic, but don't know if RC has warmed up to it yet.  Oasis 5 would be lovely.  I've been on Oasis and will be on Harmony next month so Allure or Symphony or Oasis 5 would be awesome.  I'm only 30 minutes from the port so quick drive instead of having to fly to the port for the big ship is my desire.

As for Liberty...I've sailed her twice and love that class of ship too so hoping for another Freedom class to replace Liberty.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, CruisingJoe09 said:

Adventure will probably do the 4/5/5 schedule as well. That said, I wonder what ship will pick up the NJ schedule.

If Oasis is successful in NJ next summer, I imagine one of the Oasis Class ships continues to do summers there with 7 night sailings to The Bahamas, while a Quantum Class stays there year round, doing Bermuda in the summer. 

Just now, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

If Oasis is successful in NJ next summer, I imagine one of the Oasis Class ships continues to do summers there with 7 night sailings to The Bahamas, while a Quantum Class stays there year round, doing Bermuda in the summer. 

I think that might be possible. That would be a jump in capacity though, but I could see it happening.

My guess would be that Anthem will be in NJ, but then that leaves a space for Odyssey.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

I think that might be possible. That would be a jump in capacity though, but I could see it happening.

My guess would be that Anthem will be in NJ, but then that leaves a space for Odyssey.

I agree. I think Anthem stays in NJ and Odyssey splits her time in Fort Lauderdale and somewhere in Europe, maybe Southampton. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

I kinda think Oasis might be the go to ship for future NJ seasons. I cant see them modifying all the Oasis ships for weekly funnel lowering.  

Plus, it's the one with the Broadway fave CATS. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Obviously putting Oasis in Galveston is a jump in capacity. 😉

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Obviously putting Oasis in Galveston is a jump in capacity. 😉

Of course, but I'm assuming that an Oasis Class would replace Liberty.

What I mean is that in 2017, there was only Anthem in NJ. Quite a jump for them to have Anthem + an Oasis Class ship 4 years later. That said, AD has clearly sold well so there probably is demand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dude_hdt said:

ssb,

Is the contract and such for Terminal 3 all signed off and in motion?  I've been waiting for some big announcement since last fall but keep hearing "in work" mostly.

Carnival has no issues with placing their new ships in Galveston, like Magic, but don't know if RC has warmed up to it yet.  Oasis 5 would be lovely.  I've been on Oasis and will be on Harmony next month so Allure or Symphony or Oasis 5 would be awesome.  I'm only 30 minutes from the port so quick drive instead of having to fly to the port for the big ship is my desire.

As for Liberty...I've sailed her twice and love that class of ship too so hoping for another Freedom class to replace Liberty.

From recent May board meeting presentation

Cruise Terminal 3 –pier 10
• Freese & Nichols was engaged by the Port to perform an Environmental Site Assessment Level 1 at Pier 10. A preliminary report is expected by May 30th
• An Agenda Item was prepared for this Board Meeting about the early start of project work at Pier 10 to prevent getting behind on the project schedule.
• This action responds to the imminence of the signing of the Ground Lease with RCCL.
• This also applies to the initial improvement work for the West End for the WWL relocation.

The problem with short delay in signing , 

is from within Royal with lots of internal turnovers and changes occurring. 

Port of Galveston has performed everything asked and necessary for moving forward . All due diligence performed . 

Edited by ssb

11 minutes ago, BLiles1961 said:

I was talking with our TA today, and she said it would be Allure. I didn't think to ask how she knew, but I'm gonna run with it. 😎

I assure you Allure and Oasis 1  have been in the discussions between Royal and Port . That can always change . 

Edited by ssb

59 minutes ago, ssb said:

I assure you Allure and Oasis 1  have been in the discussions between Royal and Port . That can always change . 

Initially there will two ships in Galveston at terminal # 3