Galveston ship replacing Liberty?

On 6/18/2019 at 1:36 AM, molsonschooner said:

I would say 3 quarters. In my opinion, Explorer would be a bit of a down grade from LOS

I agree. Not sure where the Explorer suggestion came from anyway - now that NV is on the 3/4 night run, EX has became the token Voyager Class ship that they use in Europe.

Edited by CruisingJoe09

5 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Are they planning for a 3rd ship in Galveston?

Heck they want a terminal # 4 . 

How many ships can two new state of art terminals handle ? 

Edited by ssb

4 minutes ago, ssb said:

Heck they want a terminal # 4 . 

How many ships can two new state of art terminals handle ? 

It seems as if they can take multiple ships. However, I don't think that Galveston should have more than 2 year round ships (if they have enough ships to go around, maybe they could add a 3rd for Winter only). It can't be the new Florida given that the ports that a Galveston ship can sail to are limited (they can't get to their beloved CocoCay from there on a 7 nighter!) and it's not really a port that works well for anyone that isn't within driving distance.

Edited by CruisingJoe09

34 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

It seems as if they can take multiple ships. However, I don't think that Galveston should have more than 2 year round ships (if they have enough ships to go around, maybe they could add a 3rd for Winter only). It can't be the new Florida given that the ports that a Galveston ship can sail to are limited (they can't get to their beloved CocoCay from there on a 7 nighter!) and it's not really a port that works well for anyone that isn't within driving distance.

Enchantment from Galveston has schedules  cruising to Coco Cay  now . 

Edited by ssb

17 minutes ago, George C said:

Would love to see some longer cruises 10 days or so. Got tired of same islands and same ship so been cruising out of Florida.

Do some repositioning cruises then . 

Vision just repositioned to Barcelona. 

We brought Liberty and Vision into Galveston from 

Quebec City . And many other Voyager Class ships into and out of Galveston. 

There have been repositionings  thru Panama Canal recently also . 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Coco Cay is on the 7 day Galveston itineraries 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 4:58 PM, John&LaLa said:

I kinda think Oasis might be the go to ship for future NJ seasons. I cant see them modifying all the Oasis ships for weekly funnel lowering.  

Plus, it's the one with the Broadway fave CATS. 

You really mean your fave shows. You going to travel north just to view CATS?

30 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Cats has been on Oasis for a long time I am sure it’s do for a new show pretty soon. I liked cats on oasis and Saturday night fever on Liberty but really do not want to keep seeing either show. 

• Like 1

Shows are very costly to install on a ship.  Back stage crew have joked it's cheaper to move a ship than it is to move a show.  

Oasis or Allure post AMP would be great in Galveston.  It wouldn't hurt to move Liberty out and create some demand for her elsewhere.  Her AMP is in 2021 so logical timing to move her to a shipyard for the AMP then plant her somewhere new for a bit. 

I wouldn't object to Royal playing musical chairs a bit more like Carnival does.   Fresh ship shakes things up and creates a reason to book a cruise for any local hometown crowd.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

No way, going to South Florida in January 

CATS did over 7,000 performances on Broadway,  so I think that qualifies as a local favorite 

Edited by John&LaLa

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

No way, going to South Florida in January 

CATS did over 7,000 performances on Broadway,  so I think that qualifies as a local favorite 

So, would you travel to Fort Lauderdale or Miami just to see CATS while HOTS is a stones throw away from you?

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Shows are very costly to install on a ship.  Back stage crew have joked it's cheaper to move a ship than it is to move a show.  

Oasis or Allure post AMP would be great in Galveston.  It wouldn't hurt to move Liberty out and create some demand for her elsewhere.  Her AMP is in 2021 so logical timing to move her to a shipyard for the AMP then plant her somewhere new for a bit. 

I wouldn't object to Royal playing musical chairs a bit more like Carnival does.   Fresh ship shakes things up and creates a reason to book a cruise for any local hometown crowd.

I agree - musical ships isn't a bad thing at all. I suppose the question would be where would LB go? I would suggest that they send her to Australia (they've never had a Freedom Class) and bring either Voyager or Radiance back to Europe and the Caribbean.

Edited by CruisingJoe09

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So, would you travel to Fort Lauderdale or Miami just to see CATS while HOTS is a stones throw away from you?

Absolutely,  but I also want to see the Amp features. 😎

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

If Oasis is successful in NJ next summer, I imagine one of the Oasis Class ships continues to do summers there with 7 night sailings to The Bahamas, while a Quantum Class stays there year round, doing Bermuda in the summer. 

I live in NJ and There are so many people I know who I talk to about cruising that cannot afford to fly to Florida and cruise. There are enough people to sell out the Oasis and a Quantum class ship in NY area full time And i believe they would sell out most of the year. The one issue I have with an Oasis ship leaving from here is that it’s not a cold weather ship. I hate being stuck inside for the first 2-3 days of a cruise because of cold weather. I already live in cold weather and the last thing I want is to do is go on vacation and have cold weather unless it’s an Alaska type cruise. That’s why unless they created an indoor pool area on oasis they can’t have it year round in NYC.

3 minutes ago, Gluis0722 said:

I live in NJ and There are so many people I know who I talk to about cruising that cannot afford to fly to Florida and cruise. 

Some of those folks can't do math, as sometimes it's cheaper to fly to Florida and cruise than leave from lovely Bayonne.

• Like 2

Just now, Biker19 said:

Some of those folks can't do math, as sometimes it's cheaper to fly to Florida and cruise than leave from lovely Bayonne.

That does happen a lot if you can cruise anytime of the year. When I say most people can’t afford to fly and cruise it’s usually a family with kids which means they can only go on vacation during the summer season July/August, Spring break and Christmas break which never have specials available like the kids sail free. I’m usually a Royal cruiser 90% of the time and if I look at prices in Florida they are usually just a tad bit cheaper then NYC prices. Then the flights to Florida during those times are usually $600 per person and up. I’ve done 3 out of 6 cruises from Florida. They have always been more expensive then NYC cruises because of flights. The only reason why I still took them was because the port stops are that much better. So I payed a premium.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:19 PM, CruisingJoe09 said:

I recently saw that RCCL is scheduled to build several more Labadee/CocoCay locations in close proximity or in the Gulf of Mexico. 

Destination Ports have changes coming

and need ships coming. 

Royal will be in cooperative partnership for port improvements.

And Royal will be providing the ships !

Holistica will create an inclusive model for destination development that works holistically – thus the name – to meet the needs of coastal communities, local governments, and land, sea, and air travelers.

"The continuing growth and rising popularity of cruise vacations make it clear that the sustainable development of coastal destinations, including the thoughtful evolution of existing ones, is in the travel industry's best interest," said Michael Bayley of RCL. "We have spent five decades learning what works and what doesn't, and we know the potential of strategic development to deliver extraordinary guest experiences and meet the needs of local communities."

Mauricio Hamui of ITM Group said: "A well-designed destination brings economic benefits to communities and cultural enrichment to travelers, while creating the least possible disruption to the human and natural environment. There is a way to do these projects inclusively, collaboratively, and sustainably – and those are the characteristics this new partnership is meant to embody."

Holistica Destinations, Ltd. will be a 50-50 partnership between RCL and ITM Group. The partners have commenced a search for a CEO for the new company, which will be headquartered in Miami.

Holistica's first project: a $275 million development in Freeport, The Bahamas, was originated by RCL and ITM and is currently under review by the Bahamian government. Centered on the regeneration of the Grand Lucayan resort, the project includes ambitious plans for local ownership, employment, job training, community investment and sustainable construction practices.

In addition to the Freeport project, the companies said the new venture will own and operate destinations in Costa Maya, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; and Kumamoto, Japan. These projects, among others, will serve 8 million visitors annually, and be accessible to all travelers, including land and air vacationers and guests of multiple cruise lines. Holistica is also engaged in discussions regarding multiple existing and proposed destinations around the world.

"The timing is right for a venture of this type," said Hamui. "A collaborative development approach, paired with meaningful private financial resources, gives local destinations the opportunity to grow the right way."

Added Bayley: "Having more destinations, and developing them in a responsible manner, gives travelers greater vacation quality, and expands the landscape of available travel options as the tourism industry grows."

• 1 month later...

I'm maybe one of the few who don't like the Oasis class.  To me, it's a downgrade to go from Freedom or Voyager class to a Oasis class in Galveston.  Hopefully the "smaller" option will still be a Freedom or Voyager class there.  I would love that as the prices may be lower than they are now due to having a bigger sister in port.

Dan

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I'm maybe one of the few who don't like the Oasis class.  To me, it's a downgrade to go from Freedom or Voyager class to a Oasis class in Galveston.  Hopefully the "smaller" option will still be a Freedom or Voyager class there.  I would love that as the prices may be lower than they are now due to having a bigger sister in port.

Dan

Adventure is probably sticking around on the 4/5 night run.

34 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

We would also prefer a Voyager class, but with the population density that exists within driving distance to Galveston, I would expect an Oasis class ship.

• Like 1