Haven Access for non-Haven Guests - Thoughts?

pcakes122

21 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

I would rise from the table, and tell the waiter that I was going to the MDR. At the MDR I would ask for a plate of three cheese ziti without being seated, and then walk back to the Haven with it. I would then resume my seat in the restaurant and eat it. Discussion would inevitably follow.

We had a similar thing happen on the Jewel in La Cucina. One of the waiters told us the bar was closed, and I had to walk down to the pool bar to get DW a glass of wine. I passed the Maitre D' when re-entering the restaurant with the glass of wine, and he inquired if he could be of assistance. I explained about the bar being closed. He had a quite intense discussion with the waiter involved, and we didn't sail with NCL again for the next seven years.

Dear E,  I commend you!!!  You are a man to look up to. I know I could not have the great presumptuousness to make a scene. I am use to observing the entertainment than be a part of it. Thank you.

9 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear E,  I commend you!!!  You are a man to look up to. I know I could not have the great presumptuousness to make a scene. I am use to observing the entertainment than be a part of it. Thank you.

Exactly. By my actions I illustrated what I perceived to be a problem, and then it was up to the restaurant manager to handle it according to their policies. According to my personal policy we then blew off NCL for seven years. I never raised my voice, nor gave a stern glance.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I believe you’re more likely to have their staff to bend over backwards for you if you show appreciation for their efforts.

i keep coming back because NCL always provides me excellent service, and I’m appreciative.

Dear GG, You also are a very decent chap and I have come to appreciate your incite and many posts. I show appreciation by tipping profusely. Many times before I receive the service I expect. In most instances I receive a decent level of service, but in this Haven case I did not, having tipped the maitre d' $50 at our first meeting, embarkation lunch. I am spending thousands for an experience. I have 5 Royal suites booked . They are hard to come by, the competition is fierce. I do not know how much time we have left on planet earth. So I am going all out this last phase while I have the ability. No heirs to worry about, just a loving wife who is the same boat. We are looking for  the best experiences we can afford without flying. The Haven let me down. Thank you for your understanding and yes I am an elitist, but an elitist who goes out of his way to tip.

12 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

You should probably read the whole thread.  The decision was reversed by NCL.   You have nothing to worry about.

You probably should NOT read this whole thread.  Decision reversed, everything else is irrelevant and immaterial. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

No heirs to worry about, just a loving wife who is the same boat. 

Glad to hear your wife is cruising with you, sounds like you have the right attitude.  A word of warning, you should probably say your wife is in the same ship, there are those on here who are upset when you call the ship a boat.

45 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear NLH, Thank you for your reply. Very diplomatic of you. We went up to the concierge, Roy P, after dinner and did not mention that we asked the maitre d' anything. Only saying to him that we understood from past passengers that Haven guests can order Specialty Restaurant meals in the Haven restaurant. " Oh no sir , only through your butler and to your cabin. But we can not guarantee that it will be hot or up to expectation."  The bottom line is I do not like their answers. I get better treatment on other lines. I just finished a letter to NCL., cc it to my TA and will wait 15 days for a reply. Thank you again. You are one of the more decent posters on the CC boards.

I hope you get the satisfaction you are looking for and I hope you have many, many more enjoyable cruises.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shoppie124 said:

Interesting how this thread turned into a three chees ziti thread :classic_biggrin:

Just my two cents...  Could it be because the dietary restrictions?  I thought I read there was a no or low salt restriction.  That being said, maybe NCL has strict rules on supplying "offending" food when there is a restriction.  Saves them from lawsuits.

I have several food allergies (odd ones like blueberries).  I am always grateful to staff who save me from myself. 

Dear 124,  I have no restrictions on salt only a request, and the request comes from my DW. You would think from my posts that I made my own choices what to eat and drink.  I have no say. Remember in a prior post I made how I ran out of a show featuring a shrieking soprano preforming an opera aria? One of the reasons I love to eat in public, DW tones down many octaves. The same reason I do not like to eat in my cabin. Many a time I slip the sommelier a $20 to keep my glass filled without first asking if I want more. Otherwise DW ALWAYS says no and I acquiesce to "she who must be obeyed".

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Glad to hear your wife is cruising with you, sounds like you have the right attitude.  A word of warning, you should probably say your wife is in the same ship, there are those on here who are upset when you call the ship a boat.

Dear Mug,  Than why are they not upset with the term 'boat drill'?

13 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Mug,  Than why are they not upset with the term 'boat drill'?

You are on a cruise ship, You do a drill to make sure you know where to catch a lifeboat.  I was assuming you and the Mrs. were on the same cruise ship, did not think you were both in a lifeboat.

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

There are people on here who get upset if the wind blows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well I read thru about 10 posts did not see anything related to the original topic, but here is my 2 cents, we are frugal travelers we will never be able to afford da haven, and we should never be allowed in the haven unless we pay for it, period.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, amygutman said:

💗

As an LSU gal from my residency (Geaux Tigers!), I have learned the value of good cornbread. 

No Q's on board the Dawn, but I just got my Johnny cake fix on Nassau at the Shoal. 

Damn. Fine. Cornbread - Caribbean-style. 

Thank you so much! Amy

Boy....I would love to have some good southern cornbread.  Didn’t realize it until just now after reading your post.  Next time I sail to Nassau....... (which probably won’t be for a while as I’ve been there too much already).

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Boy....I would love to have some good southern cornbread.  Didn’t realize it until just now after reading your post.  Next time I sail to Nassau....... (which probably won’t be for a while as I’ve been there too much already).

There is "cornbread" and there is "Southern cornbread" - never the twain shall meet. 

I feel sad for those who do not know the difference. 

Now - that being said, DH did sample (ok...he ate a plate of...) deep fried cornbread with crispy bacon bits at a NYC food truck. 

I am sure that the angioplasty itself will be worth the smile on his face...

Amy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, amygutman said:

There is "cornbread" and there is "Southern cornbread" - never the twain shall meet. 

I feel sad for those who do not know the difference. 

Now - that being said, DH did sample (ok...he ate a plate of...) deep fried cornbread with crispy bacon bits at a NYC food truck. 

I am sure that the angioplasty itself will be worth the smile on his face...

Amy

Yes...there is a difference in southern cornbread and 'reglar 'ole cornbread.

I prefer the southern variety.

Your husband may need to complete his angio-special by finding some true batter fried chicken and waffles to go along with the cornbread.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:36 PM, perditax said:

Part of my theory on the pricing being too high is that they had to introduce this whole “bidding” system to see how much people would cough up for Haven. It implies people weren’t coughing up enough money fast enough at MSRP.

Dear P,  Having experienced the Haven this past week for the first time, I think it is more, ' they are not selling , so let us raise the price'. I saw the H6 cabins, which I feel are the best cabins on the ship, being offered for sale just weeks before our cruise. On another cruise line I am fighting to book the suite cabins, hoping someone will cancel just before final deposit.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:17 PM, elwood_98034 said:

This might deserve it's own thread too. I have learned that you need to be careful what you say on here as some people can get upset very easily.

Feel free to hijack my TCZ thread if you like. I don't mind sharing, and am already getting flamed for having posted it.

Your TCZ thread is making me laugh hysterically. 

Honest to goodness... If NCL rescinded the "Haven restaurant and access to anyone who pays 50$" based on the volume of CC complaints, maybe they will add TCZ to the Haven menu. Who knew people could be so worked up about pasta?

Amy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, amygutman said:

Your TCZ thread is making me laugh hysterically. 

Honest to goodness... If NCL rescinded the "Haven restaurant and access to anyone who pays 50$" based on the volume of CC complaints, maybe they will add TCZ to the Haven menu. Who knew people could be so worked up about pasta?

Amy

It must be damn good. People often complain about cruise line food, but based on this kerfuffle I might actually go check it out.

The funny thing is, it is really simple to make, so theirs must be fantastic!