Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
tfox1018

Internet Package (New to RCCL)

We will be sailing on the Anthem on July 4.  Should I get an internet package upfront or wait until I get on the ship?  I saw somewhere that they offered sales on board, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, tfox1018 said:

I saw somewhere that they offered sales on board, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

This varies so much as is rare enough that it’s not worth taking a chance on getting on the ship- buy in the planner. 

I just got off of Anthem today. They ran sales for both the internet and drink packages but they were still more than what I pre booked for. If you are getting the drink package and only need internet for one device the best deal is to bundle it with the drink package for $10 a day if they offer it.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I just got off of Anthem today. They ran sales for both the internet and drink packages but they were still more than what I pre booked for. If you are getting the drink package and only need internet for one device the best deal is to bundle it with the drink package for $10 a day if they offer it.

Ok thank you.  We already purchased the drink package.  I will look into that!

Any other advice since you just returned?  I hope you had an excellent cruise!!

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, tfox1018 said:

We did have an excellent time. We avoided the buffet except for one time for breakfast and one time for lunch. We were on the 9 day itinerary so we ate breakfast in the MDR anytime it was available including today. We loved 270 for specialty coffee and lunch. The solarium bistro was also nice. We ate there on embarkation day. The choices are limited in both venues but they are less hectic than the buffet. You can’t get a warm scrambled egg in the buffet or the main dining room for some reason. I just ordered omelets or eggs over easy. Check the compass for time of operation. Go back in the planner and see if they are offering the $10 voom surf and stream. You may be able to call Royal and ask them to add it on. We only added it to one drink package. My wife and I shared the internet package with no problem. The service was great. We were on deck 6 and were able to face time my SIL and BIL who were on a Princess ship the same time we were on Anthem. We also used What’s App to FaceTime with my son who was home.(he has an android phone)Make sure you go into your settings and set up WiFi calling from home before you leave or you will be charged a roaming charge if you do it when you are at sea or in a port. We were also able to use iPhone messenger with anyone who has an iPhone without internet service. If using an android phone down load What’s App and use that. The other party also needs to download the app. You just had to be connected to Royal iQ and Anthem guest WiFi to use either texting service.

Book the shows in advance if you plan to see them.

Edited by Iamcruzin

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

We did have an excellent time. We avoided the buffet except for one time for breakfast and one time for lunch. We were on the 9 day itinerary so we ate breakfast in the MDR anytime it was available including today. We loved 270 for specialty coffee and lunch. The solarium bistro was also nice. We ate there on embarkation day. The choices are limited in both venues but they are less hectic than the buffet. You can’t get a warm scrambled egg in the buffet or the main dining room for some reason. I just ordered omelets or eggs over easy. Check the compass for time of operation. Go back in the planner and see if they are offering the $10 voom surf and stream. You may be able to call Royal and ask them to add it on. We only added it to one drink package. My wife and I shared the internet package with no problem. The service was great. We were on deck 6 and were able to face time my SIL and BIL who were on a Princess ship the same time we were on Anthem. We also used What’s App to FaceTime with my son who was home.(he has an android phone)Make sure you go into your settings and set up WiFi calling from home before you leave or you will be charged a roaming charge if you do it when you are at sea or in a port. We were also able to use iPhone messenger with anyone who has an iPhone without internet service. If using an android phone down load What’s App and use that. The other party also needs to download the app. You just had to be connected to Royal iQ and Anthem guest WiFi to use either texting service.

Thank you!  This is great info and I appreciate it.  I do have an iphone.  What do you mean by setting up wifi calling?  I also have downloaded the Royal IQ app.  Do you think the shows are kid friendly?  We have a 12, 13 and 15 year old.

Just now, tfox1018 said:

Thank you!  This is great info and I appreciate it.  I do have an iphone.  What do you mean by setting up wifi calling?  I also have downloaded the Royal IQ app.  Do you think the shows are kid friendly?  We have a 12, 13 and 15 year old.

Yes I think they would be fine for children that age. There are adult shows that are restricted to 18 and over. With WiFi calling you can make phone call on board through Zoom surf and stream provided that both parties have WiFi calling set up in settings.

27277291-6240-40F0-982A-BCE983965E8E.png

8B38BD3B-5388-49D7-B310-2FC86A13E8E7.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am on Anthem in a few weeks.  If I understand correctly, I also need to request Theresa as my server in the MDR, right?  🙂

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fscool said:

I am on Anthem in a few weeks.  If I understand correctly, I also need to request Theresa as my server in the MDR, right?  🙂

They were in My time dining in Silk

4WQ+SDcYSTaWrvraV2Th4A.jpg

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 hours ago, tfox1018 said:

You can always cancel and rebook.  We looked into the bundling and it wasn't clear if we'd end up paying for two devices or one (all adults in the cabin need to purchase the drinks package)  So, I ended up purchasing the Internet separately.

1 minute ago, pnsnkr said:

You can always cancel and rebook.  We looked into the bundling and it wasn't clear if we'd end up paying for two devices or one (all adults in the cabin need to purchase the drinks package)  So, I ended up purchasing the Internet separately.

This is when it pays to call and book the drink packages with a Royal Caribbean Rep. I purchased one deluxe package for my wife and one refreshment package for myself. At the time when the rep was taking my drink package order  he asked if I wanted to add an internet package to my deluxe package for an extra $10 a day. It was only added to one drink package for one device. We just logged out when the the other person wanted use the internet service.